Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:25
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 23, 2015

Two weeks ago I did a proofreading job and the client and I agreed that, due to some difficulties with the Word files and Trados - Wordfast compatibility, I would make the changes directly in the TM. She sent me the TM in .tmx format and I edited directly in that file (opened with TextEdit). I can't remember doing anything strange, but today she contacted me, saying they weren't able to open the file (don't know why it took them so long to discover this).

I tried to reimport the fil
... See more
Two weeks ago I did a proofreading job and the client and I agreed that, due to some difficulties with the Word files and Trados - Wordfast compatibility, I would make the changes directly in the TM. She sent me the TM in .tmx format and I edited directly in that file (opened with TextEdit). I can't remember doing anything strange, but today she contacted me, saying they weren't able to open the file (don't know why it took them so long to discover this).

I tried to reimport the file in Wordfast Pro, but I got this error message:
***fatalerror*** Error on line 2 of document file: /// name file : Content is not allowed in prolog. Nested exception: Content is not allowed in prolog.

I have NO IDEA what to do. I must have messed up the file somehow, but I don't see anything wrong in the header when I compare it to the original file.
Any suggestions? Solutions?
Many thanks in advance!
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
W3 validator Nov 23, 2015

If you edit XML manually, a single non-closed tag is enough to mess up the whole document structure. But if the parser chokes on line 2 it should be easy to find the error.

Try running the TMX through the W3 validator at https://validator.w3.org

[Edited at 2015-11-23 18:21 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
First lines? Nov 23, 2015

What do the first couple of lines look like anyway?

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think I solved it Nov 24, 2015

Thank you for your replies Joakim. I also thought it should be easy to find the error, given the error message indicated it was on line 2, but I didn't manage to find it.
In the end, I managed to import the TM with WF Classic and then I exported it with WF Pro, but I found one line repeated more than 1400 times in the TM. It just got inserted into most part of the segments, really strange. I deleted that sentence, imported and exported the TM again and then added the sentence by retranslat
... See more
Thank you for your replies Joakim. I also thought it should be easy to find the error, given the error message indicated it was on line 2, but I didn't manage to find it.
In the end, I managed to import the TM with WF Classic and then I exported it with WF Pro, but I found one line repeated more than 1400 times in the TM. It just got inserted into most part of the segments, really strange. I deleted that sentence, imported and exported the TM again and then added the sentence by retranslating it. Then it seemed fine. I sent it to the project manager, but she hasn't confirmed yet if it worked.
I'd never heard of the W3 validator, a very helpful suggestion - it didn't work for my TM though.
Many thanks again!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Content is not allowed in prolog

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »