Poll: Have you ever used the services of a debt collector?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 10, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever used the services of a debt collector?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nah Dec 10, 2014

Just send round a bunch of me mates with baseball bats

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 06:40
Turkish to English
+ ...
Once only Dec 10, 2014

It was pretty effective ... although their fee was about half the money involved.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:40
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I was wondering about that... Dec 10, 2014

Just out of curiosity - do these people usually charge a percentage or a flat fee?

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:40
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but ... Dec 10, 2014

... I would have liked to. I was once owed $9,000 for over two years. Unfortunately, it was a respected international organization, so all I could do was scream to as many people as I could find who would listen.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Why not? Dec 10, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

... I would have liked to. I was once owed $9,000 for over two years. Unfortunately, it was a respected international organization, so all I could do was scream to as many people as I could find who would listen.

Why couldn't you have taken action against them? I would have done!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:40
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I haven't used them (yet)... Dec 10, 2014

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Just out of curiosity - do these people usually charge a percentage or a flat fee?

... but as far as I know they charge a percentage.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:40
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, twice ... Dec 10, 2014

many moons ago, when I started out as a freelancer, I had a couple of bad experiences and not being blessed with friends with the requisite baseball bat-wielding skills, it was my last resort. It was relatively expensive in both cases, but in both cases the non-paying parties did have to pay in full, even if I only got a fraction of the money and I'd have never have seen a red cent otherwise.

@Marjolein: I paid a percentage in both cases.

[Edited at 2014-12-10 12:42 G
... See more
many moons ago, when I started out as a freelancer, I had a couple of bad experiences and not being blessed with friends with the requisite baseball bat-wielding skills, it was my last resort. It was relatively expensive in both cases, but in both cases the non-paying parties did have to pay in full, even if I only got a fraction of the money and I'd have never have seen a red cent otherwise.

@Marjolein: I paid a percentage in both cases.

[Edited at 2014-12-10 12:42 GMT]
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
a lawyer Dec 10, 2014

I have asked a friend of mine, who is a lawyer to write a "friendly reminder"... he was so friendly that I got the money exactly in 7 days

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:40
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Dec 10, 2014

But I have a lawyer who is better than Tony Soprano without the horse's head.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:40
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Once - Dec 10, 2014

I used a debt collecting firm once, about six years ago, for a debt of about €900 owed by an agrency in France - with disappointing results. They did little to support me and in the end I got some of the money by visiting the agency unannounced in person (accompanied by a male friend - without baseball bat but looking grim in dark glasses). A nerve-racking but fascinating experience.
I still had to pay the debt collecting firm the agreed percentage because I'd signed a contract with them
... See more
I used a debt collecting firm once, about six years ago, for a debt of about €900 owed by an agrency in France - with disappointing results. They did little to support me and in the end I got some of the money by visiting the agency unannounced in person (accompanied by a male friend - without baseball bat but looking grim in dark glasses). A nerve-racking but fascinating experience.
I still had to pay the debt collecting firm the agreed percentage because I'd signed a contract with them.
If anyone would like to know the name of the debt collecting firm in question, please contact me privately.
Collapse

svetlana cosquéric
svetlana cosquéric  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
so did I Dec 10, 2014

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I still had to pay the debt collecting firm the agreed percentage because I'd signed a contract with them.
If anyone would like to know the name of the debt collecting firm in question, please contact me privately.

So did I: a male friend, 195 cm, XXXXL, ... + a persuasive speech I think (he left me outside), so effective
a friend - so, free of charge!

[Edited at 2014-12-10 14:35 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Dec 10, 2014

... but I did once offer to send my 'agent' round to sort out the problem. Suddenly there was no problem after all, much to the relief of my 'agent'!

Another time my husband, off his own bat, sent a mail from his company's finance department, saying that as I was one of their suppliers, they sometimes helped me with my accounting, and there appeared to be a slight irregularity...

It was more or less true - I did translate for them occasionally when it was not too techn
... See more
... but I did once offer to send my 'agent' round to sort out the problem. Suddenly there was no problem after all, much to the relief of my 'agent'!

Another time my husband, off his own bat, sent a mail from his company's finance department, saying that as I was one of their suppliers, they sometimes helped me with my accounting, and there appeared to be a slight irregularity...

It was more or less true - I did translate for them occasionally when it was not too technical and did not require a knowledge of Latvian or anything else beyond my scope. And we did have a finance manager in common. (I just happen to be married to him.)

He did not have to spin any more yarns - payment arrived fast!
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:40
German to English
+ ...
I've considered it Dec 10, 2014

Around a decade ago, but at the time I couldn't afford it.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Debt collectors Dec 10, 2014

Reading about these experiences was quite entertaining and informative. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever used the services of a debt collector?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »