Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you study linguistics in your spare time?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:04
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Linguistics Aug 24, 2014

Linguistics was one of the subjects I studied for my degree (English, Latin, Ancient Greek, Linguistics).

[Edited at 2014-08-25 04:43 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just to set the record straight Aug 25, 2014

From the responses, it would appear that a number of people don't really understand the scope of linguistics.

Linguistics does *not* include the study of languages or lexicography in the sense of writing and organizing dictionaries; linguistics only comes into play in the historical and derivational aspects of lexicography. The main branches of linguistics are: theoretical (including translation theory, variation analysis, tagmemics, etc.), applied (usually teaching, not translation
... See more
From the responses, it would appear that a number of people don't really understand the scope of linguistics.

Linguistics does *not* include the study of languages or lexicography in the sense of writing and organizing dictionaries; linguistics only comes into play in the historical and derivational aspects of lexicography. The main branches of linguistics are: theoretical (including translation theory, variation analysis, tagmemics, etc.), applied (usually teaching, not translation), computational, cognitive, and historical linguistics, sociolinguistics (including the work of Deborah Tannen, for example, and also discourse analysis and functional linguistics), dialectology, and language acquisition.

It would take many lifetimes to learn all about linguistics. Anyone who says they have "done" it isn't really on board at all.

[Edited at 2014-08-25 02:52 GMT]
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:04
Hebrew to English
I did it Aug 25, 2014

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:
Anyone who says they have "done" it isn't really on board at all.

[Edited at 2014-08-25 02:52 GMT]

I said I "did" it at university but obviously I meant 'studied' it (the main aspects of it anyway).

I forgot about computational linguistics....now there was a module to avoid if ever there was one. Yawnsville.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you study linguistics in your spare time?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »