Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are you a translator by education?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Deniz Aker
Deniz Aker  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:52
English to Turkish
+ ...
Definitely! Aug 5, 2014

I hold two Bachelor degrees, one in English Language and Literature during which I had an elective course of Translation and I fell in love with it. This led me to get the second degree after that in Translation and Interpreting. I also hold a master's in Applied Translation Studies. So I am fairly sure I am a translator by education, and a translator at heart! I simply love it.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:52
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Aug 6, 2014

... my understanding of my main target language (my preferred foreign language, not my native tongue) stems from having lived abroad before I commenced official language studies. And my expertise in translation comes from having worked several years as a professional translator.

I work mainly into the language I learnt by living abroad (and for which I later gained a BA), not into the language I studied to MA level...

In my experience, language studies at university lev
... See more
... my understanding of my main target language (my preferred foreign language, not my native tongue) stems from having lived abroad before I commenced official language studies. And my expertise in translation comes from having worked several years as a professional translator.

I work mainly into the language I learnt by living abroad (and for which I later gained a BA), not into the language I studied to MA level...

In my experience, language studies at university level are useful, but living in a country / countries where one's working languages are spoken is essential.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:52
French to English
Another "yes but" Aug 6, 2014

Yes I have a Master in Translation, however I got it on the strength of my previous experience as a language lover who winged it so I didn't actually learn to translate via education.

There's a lot to be said for the University of life imho.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:52
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2014

My university degrees are in Spanish/Portuguese and Linguistics. I taught translation at Georgetown University for 14 years, and preparing the classes as an education in itself.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you a translator by education?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »