Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you use a second monitor for your translation work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:23
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Same here. Jun 13, 2014

Graeme Waller wrote:

Marta Cervera Areny wrote:

And I still can't believe I used to work with only one... I'm considering getting a 3rd one, but I would need major changes in my office for that, so it'll have to wait

Exactly what I was going to say.

[Edited at 2014-06-13 09:58 GMT]

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
not yet Jun 13, 2014

I will get a second one soon.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:23
Member (2004)
English to Italian
3... Jun 13, 2014

1 x 24" and 2 x 21"... brilliant!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have four 23-inch monitors Jun 13, 2014

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

1 x 24" and 2 x 21"... brilliant!

I win!

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:23
German to English
+ ...
Definitely Jun 13, 2014

Source text in one half, target in the other, and the window open on whatever research I have going on displayed on the other monitor / screen, as a minimum. It makes a huge difference.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:23
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What for? Jun 13, 2014

One monitor is enought for human eyes. Besides, we can divide screen in tiles, excluding the created need of a second monitor.

Come on, we are translators not border vigilantes or the subway CCTV guy

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No Jun 13, 2014

I don't see the need for a second screen, never mind a third one. I've got absolutely no problem at all with switching between open tabs and a Word/Excel file or a CAT tool.
So thank you, but no thank you.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
That depends Jun 13, 2014

Yaotl Altan wrote:

One monitor is enought for human eyes. Besides, we can divide screen in tiles, excluding the created need of a second monitor.

I disagree, since not all monitors are suitable for human eyes. Factors such as screen resolution, font size and lighting conditions are to be taken into consideration. From an ergonomic viewpoint, it's the monitor that should be adapted to the eyes, not the other way around.

Secondly, computers allow us the flexibility to work in any way we see fit. Some people prefer to have just one application window open, covering the entire monitor screen. To view other open applications, they just go to the bottom task bar and switch. But this is not a universal way of working.

Working with two, three or more monitors is commonplace in financial firms and software companies, to name just two industries. Maybe you're stuck with a movie stereotype

Ümit Karahan
Ümit Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:23
English to Turkish
+ ...
One for CAT and the other for internet Jun 13, 2014

I have a 22" screen connected to my laptop. I use the CAT on the big screen and use the laptop screen for searching, dictionary looks, etc. on the internet.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
it depends Jun 13, 2014

If I am working on the CAT tool on the PC, then I use the Mac for all of the internet research, mostly because the diacritics are so much easier.

If I'm working on the CAT tool on the Mac, then I only use that.

If I'm doing skype research with my Latin reading group, then I use two Macs and and iPad: the iPad for the text images, because the embiggening function works so beautifully and the resolution is great; the new Mac for Skype, internet research, etc; and the old
... See more
If I am working on the CAT tool on the PC, then I use the Mac for all of the internet research, mostly because the diacritics are so much easier.

If I'm working on the CAT tool on the Mac, then I only use that.

If I'm doing skype research with my Latin reading group, then I use two Macs and and iPad: the iPad for the text images, because the embiggening function works so beautifully and the resolution is great; the new Mac for Skype, internet research, etc; and the old Mac because nothing beats LatinWords for Mac, and they didn't update to the latest version. In this case, the PC serves as the stand for the ipad.

All of the computers are laptops, so I can pretty much pack the entire office into a backpack and take it with me if I need to.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
2.5 Jun 13, 2014

I have two 26" monitors and my new ipad mini that I can mount next to others. The internet goes on one, my translation on the other, and youtube/netflix/hulu/facebook all on the ipad. It's a good setup

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
French to Spanish
+ ...
I have six Jun 13, 2014

I have six 24'' monitors... and I wish I had a couple more

I bought them last summer and they have boosted my productivity.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Six? Jun 13, 2014

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos wrote:

How do you use six 24-inch monitors as a translator? Curious minds want to know.

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos
Alejandro Moreno-Ramos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
French to Spanish
+ ...
No matter how many you have, you will use them all Jun 13, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

Alejandro Moreno-Ramos wrote:

How do you use six 24-inch monitors as a translator? Curious minds want to know.

La curiosidad es síntoma de inteligencia.

Usual layout:
Top row, from left to right
1. Google Calendar - month view. Previously I used a whiteboard for my planning, but this monitor replaced it. I love to be able to see it at any moment, and at the same time being able to check it from my smartphone.
2. Source document to be translated
3. Folder of the current project
Bottom row, from left to right
4. Chrome with multiple tabs opened
5. CAT tool
6. Instructions for the current project, reference material, Xbench, Chrome, etc.

The only thing I regret is not having bought them before.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well... Jun 13, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I disagree, since not all monitors are suitable for human eyes. Factors such as screen resolution, font size and lighting conditions are to be taken into consideration. From an ergonomic viewpoint, it's the monitor that should be adapted to the eyes, not the other way around.

Well, you have answered yourself

If a monitor is not suitable for human eyes, why is it in the market? But that is not a discovery:
- Not all liquids are suitable for babies. That's why I don't give them vodka.
- Not all bicycles are suitable for me. Yes, I agree too. I search a bicycle suitable to my anatomy.

Besides, humans have a narrow field of vision. If we were mooses or deers, with a clearly wider field of vision, a second monitor would fit in our anatomy.

Secondly, computers allow us the flexibility to work in any way we see fit. Some people prefer to have just one application window open, covering the entire monitor screen. To view other open applications, they just go to the bottom task bar and switch. But this is not a universal way of working.

Working with two, three or more monitors is commonplace in financial firms and software companies, to name just two industries. Maybe you're stuck with a movie stereotype

Right, you have answered yourself again.

As a translator, I don't see myself as a NYSE worker trying to track stock values or if a civil war in an oil-producer nation has radically changed the trends of a given commodity. NO, I agree with inkweaver, whose words are an ode to practicality:

"I've got absolutely no problem at all with switching between open tabs and a Word/Excel file or a CAT tool."

Superb!

[Modifié le 2014-06-13 21:32 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a second monitor for your translation work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »