Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you use a second monitor for your translation work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 13, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use a second monitor for your translation work?".

This poll was originally submitted by alpia. View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not at present Jun 13, 2014

Took me a while to work out what the question meant (or is that just me?)

Anyway, 24 inches still feels like plenty after the 14 inch years, but there are times when two screens would help, so I could have reference and Internet visible the whole time as well as source and target

In fact there are days like today when I could do with a whole bank of monitors James Bond style

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 20:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 13, 2014

Not as a rule, but I sometimes use a laptop+PC combination if I want to work with 2 screens. For example, my main PC is currently configured to work with both XP and Windows 2007. For some reason, any links that appear in texts I'm translating come up on my PC as illegible, so I have set up the laptop with the original text so that I can read the links as text from the second screen. I suppose there will be a better workaround than this, but I haven't had time to find out what it is yet...

William Murphy
William Murphy  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
+ ...
3 Jun 13, 2014

1. Source doc
2. CAT screen
3. Internet, e-mail, etc...

The monitors are all 24". I implemented this system last year and I honestly don't know how I managed before. Now I don't have to move anything around or pull things up and down constantly and, of course, the eye-strain is greatly reduced by having things full-screen.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:56
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but I sure would like to Jun 13, 2014

I would love to have a second monitor right now, as we speak.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, Jun 13, 2014

and a third one - big ones!!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No, but I use my laptop occasionally Jun 13, 2014

I print out my source text as a rule, unless it is very small and simple, so that I can make pencil notes in the margins beofre I start typing. I always have a paper support beside my monitor with whatever I have gleaned.

If the source is a PDF with lots of graphics or large print, I start my laptop and use that, like Neilmac.

I have occasionally used it to keep track of the client's website or other references, but normally I simply have three or four windows minimised
... See more
I print out my source text as a rule, unless it is very small and simple, so that I can make pencil notes in the margins beofre I start typing. I always have a paper support beside my monitor with whatever I have gleaned.

If the source is a PDF with lots of graphics or large print, I start my laptop and use that, like Neilmac.

I have occasionally used it to keep track of the client's website or other references, but normally I simply have three or four windows minimised open on the main monitor. If I need all the medical distionaries and a lot of references too, then the laptop helps to keep track of them.

The joys of Wifi and broadband! Back in the old in-house days, we used to hi-jack stacks of paper dictionaries and thumb around in them, hoping no one else needed them that day... I bought some of them when the department closed, and I still smile when I use them.
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Yes, Jun 13, 2014

not for long, and already I feel it is not enough.

Marta Cervera Areny
Marta Cervera Areny
Spain
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Jun 13, 2014

And I still can't believe I used to work with only one... I'm considering getting a 3rd one, but I would need major changes in my office for that, so it'll have to wait

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jun 13, 2014

Not as a rule, but on rare occasions I have used a PC and a laptop side-by-side...

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Not usually Jun 13, 2014

But I did a couple of times, and may again, if convenient.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
3 Monitors provides a huge efficiency increase, I could use 4 if I had more space Jun 13, 2014

I've used at least 2 monitors for the last 8 years or so. I am currently using three: 2 x 23 plus 1x17 (laptop). I get very frustrated when I am working away from home with only the laptop because I have to keep shifting windows around.

Natively, my latest laptop with a Geforce GTX 670M graphics card allows only 1 external + laptop screen or 2 externals and no laptop screen. I solved this dilema by buying a USB dual display adapter with external graphic card from i-tec that will dr
... See more
I've used at least 2 monitors for the last 8 years or so. I am currently using three: 2 x 23 plus 1x17 (laptop). I get very frustrated when I am working away from home with only the laptop because I have to keep shifting windows around.

Natively, my latest laptop with a Geforce GTX 670M graphics card allows only 1 external + laptop screen or 2 externals and no laptop screen. I solved this dilema by buying a USB dual display adapter with external graphic card from i-tec that will drive 2 external monitors (VGA/DVI and HDMI)

http://www.amazon.de/Display-Adapter-Advance-2048x1152-Grafikkarte/dp/B00B1N4Y3E/ref=sr_1_2?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1402651622&sr=1-2&keywords=i-tec%20usb%203.0%20dual

I now use the laptop screen and 1 external monitor on the HDMI port plus an external monitor on the USB adapter. If I had more space on my desk, I could even add a 4th monitor to the USB adapter.

The central screen is for my CAT tool, the one on the right for internet searches and the one on the left for the original document, e-mail, dictionaries, etc. This means I have an overview all the time without having to take my hands off the keyboard to use the mouse.

[Edited at 2014-06-13 09:50 GMT]
Collapse

Graeme Walle (X)
Graeme Walle (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:56
Finnish to English
+ ...
ditto Jun 13, 2014

Marta Cervera Areny wrote:

And I still can't believe I used to work with only one... I'm considering getting a 3rd one, but I would need major changes in my office for that, so it'll have to wait

Exactly what I was going to say.

[Edited at 2014-06-13 09:58 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Always Jun 13, 2014

I work most of the time on a desktop, and I like to be comfortable.
So I've worked with 2 displays since screens are flat, because the space they - or their stands - now take on a desk is minimal.

Three monitors sound like an even better setting, but off-the-shelf no-name computers usually have only two display ports on their video card and I am lazy. With nice triple-display stands and affordable monitors now available, I could then become an air traffic controller or trader
... See more
I work most of the time on a desktop, and I like to be comfortable.
So I've worked with 2 displays since screens are flat, because the space they - or their stands - now take on a desk is minimal.

Three monitors sound like an even better setting, but off-the-shelf no-name computers usually have only two display ports on their video card and I am lazy. With nice triple-display stands and affordable monitors now available, I could then become an air traffic controller or trader if translation bores me.

Philippe
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No, not just you Jun 13, 2014

Chris S wrote:

Took me a while to work out what the question meant (or is that just me?)

I thought it was a question about a reviewer/proofreader (i.e. a second pair of eyes). I suppose I just haven't heard the word "monitor" for a while now. We just tend to call them "screens" these days.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use a second monitor for your translation work?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »