Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you respond to crowdsourcing requests?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jun 5, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you respond to crowdsourcing requests?".

This poll was originally submitted by Chris Hughes. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:54
Member (2006)
German to English
No Jun 5, 2014

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Crowdsourcing is not for me Jun 5, 2014

As a translator and an introvert, I never wanted to be part of any crowd, big or small.

Working as part of a team is different: you are united by a common purpose but also because you know each other to a certain degree, you get used to each other's temperaments and personality quirks.

The term crowdsourcing smacks of hivish, collective, impersonal endeavors.

[Edited at 2014-06-05 09:05 GMT]

Andris Dinaburgskis
Andris Dinaburgskis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:54
English to Latvian
+ ...
Other Jun 5, 2014

Actually not, however I have participated in some non-commercial communities and have translated several phrases as well

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't get any crowdsourcing requests... Jun 5, 2014

But either I would not respond, or I would explain why I would not take part.

It depends how the thing is organised, what is translated and for what purpose, but I believe translation is not something that should be left to chance.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 5, 2014

I'm not sure. I have donated to Wikipedia as I use it a lot and find it a useful resource. And I did a pro-bono translation for a spinal injury association in 2012 when approached, if that counts. AFAIK I haven't really had many such requests.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wrong end of the stick Jun 5, 2014

Mario Chavez wrote:

As a translator and an introvert, I never wanted to be part of any crowd, big or small...
The term crowdsourcing smacks of hivish, collective, impersonal endeavors.

[Edited at 2014-06-05 09:05 GMT]

I'm not sure if our definitions/perceptions of crowdsourcing coincide - I took it to mean requests for disinterested support for worthy causes, like wikipedia or charities, but maybe I'm thinking of crowdfunding...?

If in fact it refers to throwing my hat in with a bunch of "translators" previously unknown to me for some agency's "project", then I'm not really into that, no sirree bob!

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:54
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
What is crowdsourcing? Jun 5, 2014

I assume crowdsourcing means those kinds of jobs where a someone has 100,000 words to be translated by tomorrow morning, and so the work is divided up and shared out among many translators. I see crowdsourcing as different to working in a team as I imagine it to be much more impersonal and profit-orientated, whereas team-work would involve some kind of interaction and collaboration with the other members.

Depending on the nature of the text, this could lead to a whole range of prob
... See more
I assume crowdsourcing means those kinds of jobs where a someone has 100,000 words to be translated by tomorrow morning, and so the work is divided up and shared out among many translators. I see crowdsourcing as different to working in a team as I imagine it to be much more impersonal and profit-orientated, whereas team-work would involve some kind of interaction and collaboration with the other members.

Depending on the nature of the text, this could lead to a whole range of problems and would require extremely careful management. Variations in style and problems of consistency could easily compromise the quality of the translation, and these types of jobs usually seem to come with very tight deadlines, which could mean rushed work, insufficient checking, and loss of concentration due to overwork.

Of course the above problems are primarily the concern of the customer requesting the work, but I prefer to work on projects where I am comfortable that I can work to the best of my abilities and produce a high-quality translation.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Jun 5, 2014

For some reason this crowdsourcing reminds of of job emails send to "undisclosed recipients". Not my cup of tea.

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Didn't respond... Jun 5, 2014

What might be the intention behind this question, I wonder....

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Defining crowdsourcing Jun 5, 2014

I thought it meant when you get a bunch of geeks to translate the illegally downloaded version of a film or episode in a series so that foreigners can watch it within hours of it being broadcast.

If it's that, then certainly not. I would be too busy arguing with everyone else to get anything done. And anyway, they do it for fun and for free. Which is not to say that I wouldn't do it if for a worthy cause, but not for imaginary medieval romps

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:54
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Other ... Jun 5, 2014

would depend on the specific offer, I guess.

I don't think I see such offers very often and the ones I do see tend to come in, late at night when I've already unplugged for the evening with a tight schedule and short turnaround time and anyway, I am not often available at the last minute.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not anymore Jun 5, 2014

I typically see crowdsourcing refer to opening the language portion of a project to the public and they translate the material for free. We see it a lot in video game translations, usually with terrible results. Most of the people I know won't actually play some of these games in their native languages and will play in the original language just to avoid the bad translation. I hear DOTA 2's Spanish is pretty bad, but I'm more of a LoL guy myself.

I have participated in a few crowdso
... See more
I typically see crowdsourcing refer to opening the language portion of a project to the public and they translate the material for free. We see it a lot in video game translations, usually with terrible results. Most of the people I know won't actually play some of these games in their native languages and will play in the original language just to avoid the bad translation. I hear DOTA 2's Spanish is pretty bad, but I'm more of a LoL guy myself.

I have participated in a few crowdsourcing projects in the past, specifically for video games and genealogical documents. It was good experience when I was first getting established and I worked directly with the video game developers, which led to future paid projects. I'm too busy with paid work to do anything for free anymore, except for genealogy translations.

[Edited at 2014-06-05 21:28 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Can't remember ever getting such a request... Jun 5, 2014

... and I don't believe I would be interested in any of those jobs!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Work for free? Jun 6, 2014

You gotta be kiddin

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you respond to crowdsourcing requests?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »