Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which payment terms do you most commonly accept?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:35
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Same here Mar 7, 2014

Chris S wrote:

I don't accept payment terms, I issue payment terms

30 days from invoice, monthly invoicing, so 30-60 days from delivery

Although I do give a few regular clients some leeway if I know they pay like clockwork after 60 days... However, I tend to send their invoices immediately and not wait until the end of the month!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:35
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Payment terms Mar 7, 2014

The faster, the better.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
14 days net Mar 7, 2014

Those are my standard payment terms, and most Danish clients accept this, except public authorities/institutions, which as a rule insist on 30 days net. No problem with the latter, as you know you will get paid like clockwork (that's my experience at least).

With non-Danish clients, I always suggest 14 days net, and some readily accept this, while others insist on different terms. Then it's time to decide whether I want the business or not, and if I do, I negotiate terms that I find
... See more
Those are my standard payment terms, and most Danish clients accept this, except public authorities/institutions, which as a rule insist on 30 days net. No problem with the latter, as you know you will get paid like clockwork (that's my experience at least).

With non-Danish clients, I always suggest 14 days net, and some readily accept this, while others insist on different terms. Then it's time to decide whether I want the business or not, and if I do, I negotiate terms that I find acceptable. I had one Norwegian client who agreed to my 14 days net terms, but paid me via PayPal within half an hour of my sending him my invoice. Mind you, it turned out that he was a former freelance translator and that he had complete understanding of our desire to get paid once we have delivered our work.

I guess cultural differences play a significant role here. In Denmark, many companies will demand payment at 7 days, 14 days or 21 days net, while especially larger companies will insist on 30 days, but only real pigheads will insist on longer terms than that. I wouldn't want to work with anyone who felt that it was reasonable that I give them credit at my expense for more than a month... Why should MY money sit in THEIR account once the work is done? Just not fair...

Needless to say, I have never worked with agencies in Spain, Italy and other European countries where long payment terms are the norm... This just doesn't suit my Nordic temper ...
Collapse

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 11:35
English to Vietnamese
30 days or earlier agreed Mar 7, 2014

30 days or earlier agreed!

Damien Poussier
Damien Poussier  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Other Mar 7, 2014

I find this to be a total non-issue. I accept anything up to 90 days. As long as I get paid, I don't see why I should care.
I always have payments from past weeks/months coming in, so it's not a problem. I also understand that agencies have their own financial issues, and they have to worry about getting paid by the client.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:35
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Agencies have sensible terms, I'm sure Mar 7, 2014

Damien Poussier wrote:
I also understand that agencies have their own financial issues, and they have to worry about getting paid by the client.

Do you really think they offer their clients 90-day payment terms? I really doubt it.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
The Usual 30 Days Mar 8, 2014

Most of my clients pay sooner, but if they don't, after 30 days is when I start rattling their cage. I don't have many payment problems because I have a lot of ongoing direct clients who are very reliable,

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:35
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other N/A Mar 8, 2014

Whatever I have agreed to in the contract I signed with the customer.

Over here in Japan, this is generally 'account closed at end of month, payment in cash at the end of the following month by bank transfer.' According to Japanese law, the customer must pay within 60 days from the end of the billing month.

I also have a policy of billing and requesting payment within 1 week of delivery for small, one-off jobs from irregular customers for sums less than 50,000 yen. (at
... See more
Whatever I have agreed to in the contract I signed with the customer.

Over here in Japan, this is generally 'account closed at end of month, payment in cash at the end of the following month by bank transfer.' According to Japanese law, the customer must pay within 60 days from the end of the billing month.

I also have a policy of billing and requesting payment within 1 week of delivery for small, one-off jobs from irregular customers for sums less than 50,000 yen. (at today's rate of 102 yen to $1, you do the math)

HTH for those of you with Japanese customers.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:35
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
30 days - at least I can hope Mar 8, 2014

My main clients pay within 30 days, sometimes sooner, but there are also agencies that have a standard delay of 60 or 90 days. I feel powerless to change that. When I try to get them to pay earlier, they basically ignore me and tell me to sit tight.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which payment terms do you most commonly accept?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »