Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How often do you receive late payments?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
macimovic
macimovic
Netherlands
Local time: 04:12
English to Serbian
+ ...
Never Jan 30, 2014

They've always paid within agreed due date.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most are paying early Jan 30, 2014

I haven't had any problems with late payment in a long time *knock on wood*

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Exactly Jan 30, 2014

Markus Perndl wrote:

... if "late" means more than a couple of days. If a client regulary pays more than a week too late, I stop working with him. I am delivering my translations in time and I also have to pay my invoices in time, so there's no reason to grant a client an interest-free credit. I'm not a bank.

I cannot understand why some translators are accepting late payments. Why are they so submissive?

That's exactly my policy as well.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
About late payments Jan 30, 2014

Like Muriel said, there are clients whose standard payment terms are 90 days. I don't work for them.

In the last 2 years, I only had one client who paid me late twice. But he had the grace to call in advance and explain his predicament every time. Since I was not in a financial hardship to get the payment right away, I exercised patience and waited.

However, I'm more judicious about accepting this client's upcoming jobs given that prior experience.

Another
... See more
Like Muriel said, there are clients whose standard payment terms are 90 days. I don't work for them.

In the last 2 years, I only had one client who paid me late twice. But he had the grace to call in advance and explain his predicament every time. Since I was not in a financial hardship to get the payment right away, I exercised patience and waited.

However, I'm more judicious about accepting this client's upcoming jobs given that prior experience.

Another colleague mentioned in this poll that he waits for his clients to pay inasmuch as his clients get paid by their own clients. Well, I wouldn't give a client that benefit because my creditors don't offer me the same accommodation. If my cable + Internet bill is due, I can't tell my cable provider to wait because I haven't been paid by a client.

But we all work with what we've got.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Different strokes Jan 31, 2014

Markus Perndl wrote:

... if "late" means more than a couple of days. If a client regulary pays more than a week too late, I stop working with him.

I cannot understand why some translators are accepting late payments. Why are they so submissive?

I don't see late payments as a question of domination vs submission. Rather, it is more about cultural difference. I'm not going to go into this in detail for fear or treading on too many toes but... stereotypes exist for a reason. Some countries / cultures have a more lax approach to billing and payment whereas others are more formal. So, what is sauce for the goose in the better-off areas of northern Europe may not be sauce for the gander in sunnier climes. And as for the Far East, it might as well be another planet, from Julian's description of the set-up in Japan. If a country's national, regional or local government bodies are unable to pay their suppliers (e.g. Spain) how can it expect to enforce obligatory prompt payment on its private sector?

However, its not an issue for me, as long as they pay in the end. And if my clients do default or pay later than I'd like them to, I try not to take it as a personal slight.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you receive late payments?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »