Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Poll: Which demand most often excludes you from jobs for which you would otherwise qualify?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Pamela Cruz
Pamela Cruz  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rates Jun 6, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

The demand of highly qualified work at silly rates will most certainly exclude me.

Same case.

KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:04
Russian to German
+ ...
the point Jun 6, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

What is the point in demanding a very specific CAT tool for, say, a 500-word DOC/RTF translation job? ...

Yet they rightfully use the system feature to prevent noncompliant candidates from ever contacting them. It may often be stupid, but it is their right.

Interesting question! I guess many clients just use "(specific) CAT tool" as code for "experienced translator", because - let's be honest - the two go hand in hand quite often, simply because us youngins who are just starting out and haven't earned lots of money before getting into the translation business can't afford that specific CAT tool (or any CAT tool that isn't open source for that matter).

Harald Roald
Harald Roald  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Norwegian
+ ...
test translations Jun 6, 2012

I agree with most here - however, besides low rates, nothing puts me more off a task than having to deliver a test translation for a specific, time- and quantity limited task. Dont have time for that.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Having Word Jun 6, 2012

I got excluded from a job that was posted here a few months ago because the job poster specified "Word" as a requirement. As I had "Office" in my software list, I was told "you are not eligible to quote for this job" in red at the top of the job.
I got wise to that and added "Word" to my list of software on my profile. However, if anyone looks at my software list, they will now think that I have a pretty poor understanding of what MS Office is.

However, rates and deadlines e
... See more
I got excluded from a job that was posted here a few months ago because the job poster specified "Word" as a requirement. As I had "Office" in my software list, I was told "you are not eligible to quote for this job" in red at the top of the job.
I got wise to that and added "Word" to my list of software on my profile. However, if anyone looks at my software list, they will now think that I have a pretty poor understanding of what MS Office is.

However, rates and deadlines exclude me more often than not having Word!
Collapse

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:04
What a pity Jun 6, 2012

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

I hold the diploma in translation for Portuguese into English, mainly because I want to emphasise my capabilities in translating from Portuguese. As I am living in the UK, Portuguese-Dutch exams are not easy to find.
However, my native language is Dutch and I translate mainly into Dutch.

I think a native speaker of Dutch who is a qualified translator from Portuguese to English is at least equally qualified to translate Portuguese and probably English texts into Dutch. This is certainly the case for me: although I have lived in the UK for some years now and my level of English is near enough that of a native speaker, it has not had any negative impact on my Dutch.
However, some jobs are not open to me because I do not have any credentials for (mainly) English-Dutch. Time to get myself another qualification and / or pro status...

From what you have said, Marjolein, it is a pity that whoever disqualifies you based on your lack of credentials into Dutch does not appreciate the considerable feat you have achieved by getting a translation qualification in two languages, neither of which are your mother tongue!

I am qualified and accredited De-En and Fr-En, but have nothing more than 100 hours' night school tuition in Portuguese "for foreigners", and live in Portugal. None of my Pt-En clients have ever questioned my lack of credentials in this pair - but then I do have something to say about that on my website.. I receive Pt-En work similar to the kinds of things I do De-En and Fr-En, and have never had any complaints: on the contrary, I have clients who are very pleased indeed with what I produce.

*Translation* is the skill we are selling. If we have the skill, and linguistic knowledge, and honestly feel confident that we can do a good job on a translation - despite lack of credentials in that pair - then this is what a client should trust: our word. But I guess "chancers" might already have muddied the playing field somewhat in that regard.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Other - Price Jun 6, 2012

Always, always the price.

Jobs offered at ProZ.com are so unrealistically priced. I actually find it quite sad that all the jobs appear to be taken by someone, as it must mean that colleagues out there are taken on work at rates that are way too low for professionals in our line of work.

I don't know whether this is just a case for people living in Denmark (world's highest taxes and high cost of living)? But the rates offered are not equivalent to what academics should
... See more
Always, always the price.

Jobs offered at ProZ.com are so unrealistically priced. I actually find it quite sad that all the jobs appear to be taken by someone, as it must mean that colleagues out there are taken on work at rates that are way too low for professionals in our line of work.

I don't know whether this is just a case for people living in Denmark (world's highest taxes and high cost of living)? But the rates offered are not equivalent to what academics should be earning here.

Edited due to misunderstanding of question:

I see now that the question was not what I presumed, sorry...
(Got a chance to air my annoyance at the ridiculous rates offered, though )

So: Not being a native speaker of English, which is the language I spend 95 % of my working time translating into, is my new answer. The bias for mother-tongue translation has been discussed umpteen times before, though, so no need to waffle on about that.

[Edited at 2012-06-06 20:26 GMT]
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:04
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Other cont'd Jun 6, 2012

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
Which demand most often precludes you from bidding on jobs for which you would otherwise qualify?

If it's about rates, deadlines, and/or payment terms that you consider unacceptable, you deliberately exclude yourself from serving that kind of clients. Translation is a free, deregulated market in most cases.

My intent was to survey the requirements imposed by the client that would rule out otherwise perfectly qualified professionals from bidding.

Among the major stoppers: non-transparent or unknown bidding/awarding mechanism ("kitchen" agencies included), hence the fear to be the last in the list and/or to write the wrong offer (that is, conditions imposed by the client, rather than requirements).

[Edited at 2012-06-06 20:33 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:04
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - I don't feel excluded Jun 7, 2012

I am qualified for any job that I *want* to accept. I have more work that I can handle.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which demand most often excludes you from jobs for which you would otherwise qualify?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »