Thread poster: Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:19
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2014

As the title says, is this possible? Or if I have multiple termbases open, can I only add new terms to the one set as "Default" in the project settings? I can't see anywhere to choose which termbase a new term gets added to.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 15:19
Italian to English
In memoriam
Yes but it's a bit cumbersome Aug 22, 2014

Orrin Cummins wrote:

As the title says, is this possible? Or if I have multiple termbases open, can I only add new terms to the one set as "Default" in the project settings? I can't see anywhere to choose which termbase a new term gets added to.

You're right, Orrin. It's very tedious having to go to the project settings and reset the default termbase for each new entry.

BTW there have been a couple of suggestions lurking on the Ideas site for the past 1,415 days:

http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=3405
http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=3406

Feel free to vote for both!

Orrin Cummins
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was afraid of that Aug 22, 2014

I see, Giles. Thanks for letting me know.

Instead of switching back and forth between "Default" termbases, I've been just translating the entire document using the same default termbase, adding words to it as normal. Then when I've finished the translation, I try to switch the default to the other termbase and scroll back through the translation looking for words that I had wanted to add.

I don't always get around to doing the second step, unfortunately. Sometimes I for
... See more
I see, Giles. Thanks for letting me know.

Instead of switching back and forth between "Default" termbases, I've been just translating the entire document using the same default termbase, adding words to it as normal. Then when I've finished the translation, I try to switch the default to the other termbase and scroll back through the translation looking for words that I had wanted to add.

I don't always get around to doing the second step, unfortunately. Sometimes I forget, and sometimes I need to work on other projects instead of wasting time doing something that I should have been able to do during the translation process. Oh well.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Is this on SDL's radar? Aug 22, 2014

I usually switch between default termbases because I like to add text-field information - such as source and target contexts - to my MT entries when I make them.

Still, it would be great if this issue were to be sorted sometime soon.

Can anyone from SDL let us know whether this feature will be available when MultiTerm is finally weaned off Java?

MTIA

Roger Stewart
Roger Stewart  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Adding my vote May 21, 2015

I, too, am waiting for this to be sorted out. If I have a technical legal document I need to decide whether to populate the legal or the technical termbase I have in the project.

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
The radar is out of order May 21, 2015

Giles Watson wrote:

I usually switch between default termbases because I like to add text-field information - such as source and target contexts - to my MT entries when I make them.

Still, it would be great if this issue were to be sorted sometime soon.

Can anyone from SDL let us know whether this feature will be available when MultiTerm is finally weaned off Java?

MTIA

I raised just this subject with SDL some time ago and was told that there is no other easy way of doing it and that at that point in time they had no plans of changing anything. But followed by the usual thing that things might change in the future. How many times have we heard that? But Studio 2015 is just around the corner with "many improvements", but don't hold your breath.

Ben

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
questions May 22, 2015

Hi all,

I would be interested in some details as to how you would envisage having this in Studio.

So let's say you have two termbases open, and want to add a term. Certainly you wouldn't want to be prompted which termbase to add to every single term.

Would for example a drop-down button, to easily switch active termbase in the Term Recognition window work? So next to the Hitlist settings, etc.?

Happy to hear feedback.

Thanks,
... See more
Hi all,

I would be interested in some details as to how you would envisage having this in Studio.

So let's say you have two termbases open, and want to add a term. Certainly you wouldn't want to be prompted which termbase to add to every single term.

Would for example a drop-down button, to easily switch active termbase in the Term Recognition window work? So next to the Hitlist settings, etc.?

Happy to hear feedback.

Thanks,
Luis Lopes
SDL Product Manager
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Suggestion May 22, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Hi all,

Happy to hear feedback.

Thanks,
Luis Lopes
SDL Product Manager

Hi Luis,

I would find it very useful to have a drop-down list in the the icon bar at the top of the termbase window in which all of the loaded termbases are shown, and with a single click on the name of a termbase would make it the default termbase. What would be even nicer would be to be able to select two or more termbases (Ctrl+termbase names?) and have a single term simultaneously inserted into all of the selected termbases. Perhaps for this another button for opening a multi-selection list, but not making them the default termbase?

I often work with multiple termbases and in a group of segments would want to insert terms into one termbase and in other segments into a different termbase. So quickly and easily switching the default termbase would be a great improvement on what has to be currently done to change the default termbase.

I will be interested to hear your response.
Regards.
Ben

Orrin Cummins
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A suggestion May 22, 2015

The way that I usually add terms is by selecting the source and target text to add then right-clicking one of them and selecting "Add New Term."

What if in addition to the "Add New Term" option there was one below it that said "Add New Term To..." which could be moused over for an additional menu on the right that contained a list of all the termbases active in the project. You could then select a termbase from that menu to add your selected text to that particular termbase.
<
... See more
The way that I usually add terms is by selecting the source and target text to add then right-clicking one of them and selecting "Add New Term."

What if in addition to the "Add New Term" option there was one below it that said "Add New Term To..." which could be moused over for an additional menu on the right that contained a list of all the termbases active in the project. You could then select a termbase from that menu to add your selected text to that particular termbase.

Of course that doesn't help people that use the Ctrl-F2 shortcut to add terms. I stopped using this because for some reason doing so causes Trados to stop being the active window about half the time (kind of hard to explain, but I am using dual monitors so that might have something to do with it...or it could be something wrong with Java, hard to say).

And as Ben Senior mentioned, ideally there would also be a way to add a term to multiple termbases simultaneously. But my suggestion would help me greatly, at least. My termbases often grow more slowly than they should simply because I cannot be bothered to constantly change the active termbase in the Project Settings--that is just not worth the time it takes.
Collapse

Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Voted Dec 31, 2015

Hi everybody,

I'd really love to see this functionality implemented.
I voted for both the subscriptions. Let's hoper that someone hears us!

Happy new year,
Cristina

Cristina Lo Bianco
Cristina Lo Bianco  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Implemented in Trados 2017? Oct 10, 2016

Hi,

does anybody know if this feature will be implemented in the next version od Trados? It would be a good reason for upgrading.

Have a nice day,
Cristina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selectively adding terms when using multiple termbases in Studio 2011

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »