Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever lost progress of your job by pressing the "Don't Save" button?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:39
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I'll happily join ... Mar 24, 2016

... the pencil and paper club - or even start a quill pen and candles society. ☺

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 03:39
English to German
Hasn't happened to me ... Mar 24, 2016

... but to the terminologist when I worked inhouse ages ago. Her cursing terminology was certainly impeccable.

I have a Ctrl-S reflex about once per minute that makes the teens next door giggle, because I press it at inappropriate moments, such as while using a web browser, and they think a random "Save" dialog box is soooo funny. (Hah! Those kids caressing their smartphones all day, they don't even know what a real computer is.)

Re pencil, it's my turn to giggle when I
... See more
... but to the terminologist when I worked inhouse ages ago. Her cursing terminology was certainly impeccable.

I have a Ctrl-S reflex about once per minute that makes the teens next door giggle, because I press it at inappropriate moments, such as while using a web browser, and they think a random "Save" dialog box is soooo funny. (Hah! Those kids caressing their smartphones all day, they don't even know what a real computer is.)

Re pencil, it's my turn to giggle when I tell people I can't write - it's true, my hands don't close firmly enough to hold a pencil, but the stare of disbelief on people's faces is priceless.
Collapse

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:39
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
No, but... Mar 24, 2016

No, but once I made a wrong backup and, instead of updating my USB stick with new files from hard disk, I lost all updated files in my hard disk, replacing them with old files from my USB stick :S And this mistake included all bilingual files and also my local TM, so I needed to restart everything again – using my old brain memory.

Since then, I always think 3 times before clicking the "go ahead" button.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not CP/M but DOS 6.0 Mar 24, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

When I started out on an 8-bit micro that was running CP/M - yes, we are going back quite a few years.
I had to use a wildcard to make some space on a - gasp! - 5¼-inch floppy disk, but I used the wrong wildcard and wiped out all of the work I had done on that disk just before a delivery. Aaaaagh!

This was in the days before Norton Utilities, which was the best thing ever (period!) to happen in the world of computing.

Out of interest, are there any other Prozians out there who remember CP/M.

BTW, the "Don't Save" button" didn't even exist in WordStar, another blast from the past!

added last line

[Edited at 2016-03-24 14:23 GMT]

Back in the days (1991-1992) when I was using DOS 6.0 (pre-Windows days) and writing translations on WordPerfect 5.0 (or 5.1), any file tasks done in DOS 6.0 had to be clearly done to avoid overwriting a work file.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about the 8-character limitation? Mar 24, 2016

Does anyone remember that? All your file names had to adhere to the 8-character limitation strictly or else the OS or application would truncate it. That was even in the days of Windows 3.0.

I remember using an application called Long Name something something, which allowed you to save your files in long strings of characters. Many programs, even under Windows 95, had to adhere to a new character limitation: 255.

Remember?

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:39
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A few times many years ago Mar 24, 2016

The early editors did not even warn the user they forgot to save their work. Those who worked with WordStar and Lotus123, for example, will remember. But you learn after a few losses. I haven't done it for a long time.

... and I still admire the level of perfection of the participants we notice in practically every post of the quick polls. 45% "Never"!

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 08:39
English to Vietnamese
"Ctrl S" helps me a lot Mar 25, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

Had to think about that one.

No, because I always use "Ctrl S" - less effort

Yes, "Ctrl S" helps me a lot.

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:39
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes and yes Mar 30, 2016

1. Yes, I have mistakenly pressed "Don't save" and lost lots of work. This happened at least twice, and always after I had been rushing a job that was longer and harder than I anticipated. The mistake was simply a result of being too tired. (And yes of course: Some of you noted that there is no "Don't save" button on the computer. Rather when you are about to close a file, if it has not already been saved, an announcement (or whatever you whippersnappers call it) pops up asking you whether you w... See more
1. Yes, I have mistakenly pressed "Don't save" and lost lots of work. This happened at least twice, and always after I had been rushing a job that was longer and harder than I anticipated. The mistake was simply a result of being too tired. (And yes of course: Some of you noted that there is no "Don't save" button on the computer. Rather when you are about to close a file, if it has not already been saved, an announcement (or whatever you whippersnappers call it) pops up asking you whether you want to save the changes or not)

However, it is more and more seldom that I am given scanned hard copies that I need simply to re-type freshly in Word. Thus, if you have a CAT and TM running, you can always be sure to recover your work one way or another.

2. Yes, I do remember CP/M and 5.25 disks etc. What system 8-bit system did you use? The Commodore 128 came with a CP/M mode, but I preferred the native 6502 since I had learned to program it on the VIC 20. Those hazards of losing work could easily be avoided if you knew machine language. You could make pretty good word processing programs of your own and continually and seamlessly backup your work if you connected a second 5.25 inch disk drive for that purpose.

Paperclip was an excellent word processor for 6502 machines, and as the programming was small (a few kilobytes), changing the coding and adding features of your own was not daunting. Of course, compared to what we have today, these old programs were far less powerful and had few features, but they were far less fragile and less prone to conflicts in the way that our expensive office suites and CAT tools are these days. Perhaps new software firms should pick up on some of the old programming disciplines and apply them to the new hardware. Then we would really see some amazing applications, especially in our field.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever lost progress of your job by pressing the "Don't Save" button?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »