Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which payment method do you prefer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:48
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No1: bank transfer Aug 11, 2014

I don't get charged for them, wherever in the world they come from, and my bank gives a reasonably good exchange rate too.
But I also accept PayPal and Skrill if bank transfer is too expensive for my client.
I would only accept cheques from UK, French and Spanish banks as those are the countries where I have bank accounts. Even cashing a euro cheque in another eurozone member country is an expensive nightmare, and I certainly would never accept a cheque from the US.
I once re
... See more
I don't get charged for them, wherever in the world they come from, and my bank gives a reasonably good exchange rate too.
But I also accept PayPal and Skrill if bank transfer is too expensive for my client.
I would only accept cheques from UK, French and Spanish banks as those are the countries where I have bank accounts. Even cashing a euro cheque in another eurozone member country is an expensive nightmare, and I certainly would never accept a cheque from the US.
I once received a Western Union password from a client. I took it to my local post office and they handed over the cash, so that worked OK, too.
Collapse

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Aug 11, 2014

Cash!

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 02:48
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
It depends on the amount... Aug 11, 2014

For amounts over $400 the fee my Canadian bank charges me for receiving ($20) almost seems reasonable, but most of my North American clients I ask for the good old-fashioned check - which I can deposit free of charge and keep in Us dollars (free US-dollar account) until the exchange rate improves...
For smaller amounts I even accept Paypal even if it's robbery in broad daylight (3.9% fee and dismal exchange rates)

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gold bullions too? Aug 11, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

For me, is the only realistic option - it's quick but incurs 'handling fees' which amount to $30 per transaction, whatever the sum involved. For example, if I do a $100 job for an international customer, I get only $70 of that sum. #&'%!

PayPal also is quick but it's time-consuming and costly to transfer amounts from my PayPal account to a regular Japanese bank account.

Huge piles of used notes and heavy gold bars are also accepted!

I seldom use PayPal, but when I do, I factor in the fees in my project fee. Everybody's happy. Well, at least I am happy!

Other payment options: millions of renimbi, latinum bars (according to the Ferengi Laws of Acquisition), diamonds, gold nuggets, U.S. Treasurys with coupons attached, etc.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Waiting for PayPal to lower its fees Aug 11, 2014

Where is the competition to PayPal?

PayPal is an excellent service but is much more expensive than it should be. There seems to be no viable competitors other than Skrill/Moneybookers. I prefer the latter but not enough people use it to make it a regular payment method.

Since PayPal's fees are so high I currently prefer a bank transfer.

I am also rediscovering checks, which can be sent directly to my bank with my account number on it. Not ideal, but it c
... See more
Where is the competition to PayPal?

PayPal is an excellent service but is much more expensive than it should be. There seems to be no viable competitors other than Skrill/Moneybookers. I prefer the latter but not enough people use it to make it a regular payment method.

Since PayPal's fees are so high I currently prefer a bank transfer.

I am also rediscovering checks, which can be sent directly to my bank with my account number on it. Not ideal, but it can work.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
You beat me to it! Aug 11, 2014

Paul Dixon wrote:

Cash is definitely the best method of payment.

I really like cash, but 90% of my clients pay through paypal. Bank transfers can be a bit of a pain for me because I use a credit union instead of a traditional bank, so the funds have to pass through a third party (or so I've been told by the folks at my credit union). I have my Paypal debit card so I really don't even need my bank...

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:48
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Paypal Aug 11, 2014

Paypal is perfect for me.

I get payed, pay fees of course. I am able to pay bills online/shop and transfer what I need in cash to my bank account.

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:48
German to English
+ ...
Other Aug 12, 2014

Wire transfers within the Euro zone (to my German Euro account), checks in the United States.

Rudolf Frans Maulany
Rudolf Frans Maulany  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Bank transfers Aug 12, 2014

I prefer bank transfers and usually received payment by this method because most of my major client use this method.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which payment method do you prefer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »