Poll: Do you feel fatigue due to extended computer use?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 24, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you feel fatigue due to extended computer use?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, sometimes May 24, 2014

I feel physical discomfort in my lower back (mostly due my two “beautiful” intervertebral disc hernias) and visual fatigue (headache and eye irritation). What do I do? I do TRY to take regular breaks from the computer and to follow the 20-2-20 rule: every 20 minutes, I look away at least 2 meters for 20 seconds.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
No, as long as I use MY computer May 24, 2014

My computer is a full-size desktop, with a full-size keyboard and a very ergonomic trackball mouse (Kensington Orbit).

Whenever I use a notebook, fatigue sets in within less than half an hour. It makes me wonder at the number of translators that only use notebooks.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
how long is "extended"? May 24, 2014

I bet when it takes more than six hours in a row, then it has very little to do with what exactly he or she is using and how ergonomic it might be.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:58
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Measures for reducing eyestrain May 25, 2014

To keep Teresa company

Teresa Borges wrote:

I ... follow the 20-2-20 rule: every 20 minutes, I look away at least 2 meters for 20 seconds.

So, you must have 20-20 vision, right?

Here are some simple measures to reduce and prevent eyestrain:

- No overhead strip or neon lighting reflecting in your computer screen
- No lighting of any kind directly pointing at you or in your immediate field-of-vision
- Remove metallic or other reflecting objects in the immediate surrounding area
- Fit an anti-glare sheet filter onto computer screen
- Enlarge letters/type so that text is clearly visible from 80 to 90 cm or so from screen to reduce the need for squinting
- Do not position the screen against a bright background such as a window or other light source (*1 Your eyes will automatically try to compensate for 2 or more different light sources at the same time)
- No moving objects such as fellow workers behing the screen (see *1)
- No light or bright surfaces behind the screen (see *1)
- Place matte green or other neutral color such as grey (ground concrete is excellent) or medium brown cardboard behind the screen
- Wear glasses at all times (even LCD screens attract and reflect small particles of dust which strike and damage the retina)
- Keep eyedrops close by at all times

These cheap and ergonomic measures will make translating much more comfortable for you, and you should be able to feel the difference right away.
If you constantly feel eyestrain or fatigue, visit an eye doctor immediately!

HTH

Added two lines

[Edited at 2014-05-25 08:00 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks, Julian! May 25, 2014

[quote]Julian Holmes wrote:

To keep Teresa company

Teresa Borges wrote:

I ... follow the 20-2-20 rule: every 20 minutes, I look away at least 2 meters for 20 seconds.

- No lighting of any kind directly pointing at you or in your immediate field-of-vision
- Enlarge letters/type so that text is clearly visible from 80 to 90 cm or so from screen to reduce the need for squinting
- Do not position the screen against a bright background such as a window or other light source (*1 Your eyes will automatically try to compensate for 2 or more different light sources at the same time)
- Place matte green or other neutral color such as grey (ground concrete is excellent) or medium brown cardboard behind the screen
- Wear glasses at all times (even LCD screens attract and reflect small particles of dust which strike and damage the retina)

Except for "Fit an anti-glare sheet filter onto computer screen" I already do all that!

[Edited at 2014-05-25 07:07 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:58
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Translators' tricks :) May 25, 2014

[quote]Teresa Borges wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

To keep Teresa company

Teresa Borges wrote:

Except for "Fit an anti-glare sheet filter onto computer screen" I already do all that!

[Edited at 2014-05-25 07:07 GMT]

I do just the same. For a natural color I simply look out my window and see nothing but green trees and blue (or gray) sky. Plus this action also includes head movements.

The only time fatigue actually catches up with me is when I need to work some 12+ hours straight to meet a dealine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you feel fatigue due to extended computer use?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »