Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you get copyright royalties for translation jobs you've done?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kenn dOudney
Kenn dOudney
Local time: 21:20
French to English
mechanical copyright? Feb 6, 2014

When CDs are produced, mechanical copyright royalties are owed to the copyright holder. For example, an artist must pay to obtain a licence to produce a certain number of copies of his cover song, whether or not he decides to sell the CDs or give them away.

How does this relate to the production of books (for sale or not) and translation royalties owed to the translator, copyright owner of his/her translation?

I'd like to hear what fellow forum contributors think or ca
... See more
When CDs are produced, mechanical copyright royalties are owed to the copyright holder. For example, an artist must pay to obtain a licence to produce a certain number of copies of his cover song, whether or not he decides to sell the CDs or give them away.

How does this relate to the production of books (for sale or not) and translation royalties owed to the translator, copyright owner of his/her translation?

I'd like to hear what fellow forum contributors think or can provide as sources on this topic!
Collapse

J A Lawrence
J A Lawrence  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:20
Greek to English
Literary translation agreements and royalties Nov 16, 2014

My work tends to come from the authors rather than the publishers, so my agreements are with him or her. I have just learned that under the law translators have the copyright of the translation, which is interesting, and means I do not have to do the job on a work-for-hire basis. As I am paid by the author, what we agree now is that he will pay me a certain amount for the translation. If and when the work is issued by a publisher, that amount will be considered an advance against royalties, whic... See more
My work tends to come from the authors rather than the publishers, so my agreements are with him or her. I have just learned that under the law translators have the copyright of the translation, which is interesting, and means I do not have to do the job on a work-for-hire basis. As I am paid by the author, what we agree now is that he will pay me a certain amount for the translation. If and when the work is issued by a publisher, that amount will be considered an advance against royalties, which would only be payable after the advance has earned out. That would take a long time, but what it does is ensure that if the work becomes successful (i.e.,profitable), I get a share of it.
I hope that is clear! It seems very fair to me and the author.
Collapse

Elie-Agnes (X)
Elie-Agnes (X)
France
Local time: 22:20
French to English
Difficulty with publisher Nov 24, 2014

I translated 4 books from french to english for a french publisher last year.
There was no written contract.
Three of these were published and I have been paid for them (very modestly).
I have now been informed that they have decided that they are not going to publish the fourth book. This book is very long and they are trying to evade paying me.

Can I claim royalties on the three books that have been published? I live in France and the publisher is also based in
... See more
I translated 4 books from french to english for a french publisher last year.
There was no written contract.
Three of these were published and I have been paid for them (very modestly).
I have now been informed that they have decided that they are not going to publish the fourth book. This book is very long and they are trying to evade paying me.

Can I claim royalties on the three books that have been published? I live in France and the publisher is also based in France.

Can anyone offer advice on how to do this.

Would be most grateful

Thanks
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you get copyright royalties for translation jobs you've done?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »