Thread poster: Kostas Zgafas
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
I supposed I could be reached by it but Sep 29, 2014

LinkedIn is invasive by default. It gets far more information about you than you would imagine you allowed.

[Edited at 2014-09-29 10:56 GMT]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
No Sep 29, 2014

None.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
We've discussed this many times before... Sep 29, 2014

...and the consensus has always been that, as Triston and Gaby say above, you get out what you put in.

Some translators use LinkedIn to actively cultivate relationships with potential customers, and get plenty of work from it. Most (myself included) sign up, sit back and wait for something to happen, and are disillusioned when it doesn't. A bad workman blames his tools...

[Edited at 2014-09-29 16:16 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never! Sep 29, 2014

No. Not a single job per se. However, I do keep in touch with some very old customers via LinkedIn, which, I reckon, could have some effect in repeat business.

Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 17:37
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Freelance projects - no - but indirectly yes Oct 2, 2014

Hello,

I don't think LinkedIn can help you directly get offers for freelance projects, but based on the visitors I have, I see many translation agency owners, other freelance translators and even companies looking at my profile. Sometimes the contact me offering collaboration. I would not rule out LinkedIn, it just depends what you want with your profile. I have heard of other translators and copywriters who get most of their contacts from LinkedIn. It is also a very good search an
... See more
Hello,

I don't think LinkedIn can help you directly get offers for freelance projects, but based on the visitors I have, I see many translation agency owners, other freelance translators and even companies looking at my profile. Sometimes the contact me offering collaboration. I would not rule out LinkedIn, it just depends what you want with your profile. I have heard of other translators and copywriters who get most of their contacts from LinkedIn. It is also a very good search and networking tool for when you want to get in touch with direct clients, and then you need a good profile. Also, LinkedIn profiles show up high in search rankings. I have also heard of freelance translators pointing to their LinkedIn profile instead of a resume, in particular if they want to protect themselves from a CV/resume scam. This probably does not work very well for when applying as a freelancers to agencies though.
Collapse

Kokoro2
Kokoro2
Uganda
LinkedIn Job Offers. Eh, sometimes. Oct 2, 2014

Kostas Zgafas wrote:

Just curious if you find LinkedIn as a marketing tool that works for you.

Thank you,

Kostas

Hi Kostas,

I've received a few job offers through LinkedIn. People search your Job Type and then reach out to you based on the resume info you provide on your profile. However, I haven't found this outreach to be consistent. So it's worth it to be on LinkedIn, but you need to put yourself out there in other ways, too; i.e. business website, referrals, etc.

Hope that helps.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:37
German to English
+ ...
That is assuming... Oct 3, 2014

... that translators who joined LinkedIn, did so for the purpose of getting jobs. I joined it for getting information and seeing what other translators are up to, and I'm getting exactly that.

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:37
French to German
+ ...
A lot of customers from social networks Oct 5, 2014

I only have a LinkedIn profile since one week or two, but get nearly all my big projects(15 000 words and more) from other social networks. This means a lot of work in these networks though, you have to be present nearly every day for at least one hour and to make yourself loads of contacts...

brucekuang
brucekuang
Canada
Local time: 19:37
Chinese to English
+ ...
Never got job from LinkedIn Oct 6, 2014

I have never got any job from LinkedIn.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you getting jobs through LinkedIn?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »