Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 04:14
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Sep 29, 2014

Well, it's obvious that Wordfast Classic is one candidate because it's just a collection of macros. On the other hand, I found MemoQ to slow things down.

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:14
English to German
MetaTexis for Word Sep 29, 2014

Hi James,

MetaTexis also runs in Word, and it also does not use up much RAM (and it is not a collection of macros, but a true, compiled DLL). However, if you use it in Word 2013, it will also be slow. But this is because all add-ins run slow in Office 2013 programs. (Microsoft did a bad job when implementing the add-in feature in the Office 2013 programs.) So, if you would like to run a low memory, add-in program like MetaTexis, use it with Word 2007 or Word 2010, if possible.
... See more
Hi James,

MetaTexis also runs in Word, and it also does not use up much RAM (and it is not a collection of macros, but a true, compiled DLL). However, if you use it in Word 2013, it will also be slow. But this is because all add-ins run slow in Office 2013 programs. (Microsoft did a bad job when implementing the add-in feature in the Office 2013 programs.) So, if you would like to run a low memory, add-in program like MetaTexis, use it with Word 2007 or Word 2010, if possible.

Here is the link for downloading the trial version: http://www.metatexis.net/download/MetaTexisForWordV3.exe

(Or, if you need to run it in Word 2013, after all, us this link: http://www.metatexis.net/download/MetaTexisForWordNETV3.exe)

Best regards
Hermann
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
Finnish to French
Practical use? Sep 29, 2014

What would be the practical use of knowing the answer to your question? Do you need to use a CAT tool on a vintage 1999 PC with 512 KB of RAM? A more relevant question would be: what CAT tools are not able to run at acceptable speed on a standard PC with 4 GB of RAM?

As to Wordfast Classic and MetaTexis, they run as MS Word add-ins, so you would need to include the memory footprint of MS Word in order to obtain meaningful results. Likewise, with Java-based tools, you would need to t
... See more
What would be the practical use of knowing the answer to your question? Do you need to use a CAT tool on a vintage 1999 PC with 512 KB of RAM? A more relevant question would be: what CAT tools are not able to run at acceptable speed on a standard PC with 4 GB of RAM?

As to Wordfast Classic and MetaTexis, they run as MS Word add-ins, so you would need to include the memory footprint of MS Word in order to obtain meaningful results. Likewise, with Java-based tools, you would need to take into account the memory footprint of the Java Runtime Environment inside which they are running.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:14
German to Spanish
Funny Sep 29, 2014

Reed D James wrote:

Well, it's obvious that Wordfast Classic is one candidate because it's just a collection of macros. On the other hand, I found MemoQ to slow things down.

In my case, it is Word that slows down my system. I am happy 90% of my work is not in .doc format

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which CAT tool takes up the least RAM?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »