http://homeworktranslationjobs.com/ is it real or another scam?
Thread poster: Valentino Garosi
Valentino Garosi
Valentino Garosi  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Member (2015)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 10, 2018

Hello there, I wanted to know your opinion regarding this website.

Do you think it is useful to expand my customer portfolio or is just a waste of money?

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Obvious waste of time and of money Sep 10, 2018

Don't even think about it. Even if they do what they say for USD 99, most of what they send will end up in the agencies' "spam" box. I have a basic principle that I invest in me and in what I can offer, but I never pay to get work.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Jeannette Issa
Thomas T. Frost
Andriy Yasharov
zadhiambo

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Waste of money Sep 10, 2018

I’ve never heard of them. I’m a translator and I run a very small translation agency specialized in the Portuguese language. Unfortunately I’m flooded almost every day with unsolicited CVs from people who don’t translate either from or to Portuguese: it goes without saying that they all go directly to the bin. Don’t waste your money, it’s far more productive to do some research and target those agencies that are looking for translators in your languages and your fields.

Francisco Vare
Thomas T. Frost
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Erwin van Wouw

Katarzyna Slowikova
Katarzyna Slowikova  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Czech
+ ...
Send your 99$ to support poor "Mr Karel" Sep 10, 2018

The choice of the dollar bills and the hot chick that "earns" them while lying on the bed and grinning as the 1st thing a visitor sees on the website already tells you what they represent. Yet another attempt to lure gullible individuals who think they can pay a bit of $$$ and make a fortune in no time, doing nothing.
Looks like "Mr Karel" (a Czech??), albeit a "20 years veteran", doesn't get enough translation work himself, if he has to resort to exploiting his more gullible colleagues.

Francisco Vare
Morano El-Kholy
Kevin Fulton
Thomas T. Frost

Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:55
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
How precise! Sep 10, 2018

I find the number of emails they will send out quite amusing though; "10,446". Not 10,500, not "over 10,000 emails", but exactly 10,446. Very inspiring.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Why not investigate it? Sep 10, 2018

Valentino Garosi wrote:
Do you think it is useful to expand my customer portfolio or is just a waste of money?

It's hard to tell, but one thing you can do is to contact the 21 people who gave the service a positive review, to see if they are for real.

See also:
https://www.proz.com/forum/marketing_for_translators/249175-blast_your_cv_to_16000_agencies_has_anyone_tried_it.html
(same guy)

[Edited at 2018-09-10 15:53 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Homework is for kids Sep 10, 2018

We aren't "homeworkers". I don't know what jobs homeworkers tend to do nowadays but I remember (40+ years ago) when typical jobs were addressing and/or stuffing envelopes, or assembling things such as boxes or fireworks (minus the "bang").

We're professionals who very often have a home office - although some rent office space and others are digital nomads. We don't pay to have jobs allocated to us. We contact specific potential clients, whether agencies or direct clients, using a pe
... See more
We aren't "homeworkers". I don't know what jobs homeworkers tend to do nowadays but I remember (40+ years ago) when typical jobs were addressing and/or stuffing envelopes, or assembling things such as boxes or fireworks (minus the "bang").

We're professionals who very often have a home office - although some rent office space and others are digital nomads. We don't pay to have jobs allocated to us. We contact specific potential clients, whether agencies or direct clients, using a personalised approach.
Collapse

Morano El-Kholy
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Why not investigate it, indeed! Sep 10, 2018

Why is it that these two websites have the same layout, charge the same price and apparently belong to the same owner?

See more
Why is it that these two websites have the same layout, charge the same price and apparently belong to the same owner?

http://homeworktranslationjobs.com/
http://001yourtranslationservice.com/translations/translation-agencies.html?utm_expid=39983523-0&utm_referrer=https://www.google.co.uk/
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Teresa and Sheila Sep 10, 2018

Teresa Borges wrote:
Why is it that these two websites have the same layout, charge the same price and apparently belong to the same owner? ...

There is nothing sinister about it -- there is no rule that says real professional translators may only have one web site, may only sell a service or services through a single channel, or may only trade as a single entity. It is perfectly clear to anyone visiting these web sites that they are related (it's not like it's hidden).

Sheila Wilson wrote:
We aren't "homeworkers".

Most of us are. We work from home. The fact that we are professionals does not change that. And many of us started out as amateurs or as non-freelance professionals (only a few actually studied to become translators).

We don't pay to have jobs allocated to us. We contact specific potential clients, whether agencies or direct clients, using a personalised approach.

There is nothing wrong with these concepts (paying to get jobs and using a non-personalised approach) in principle. For some people it simply feels more honest or more noble to do their own dirty work. About half of the mails I get from clients are non-personalised, and I don't think less of those businesses because of that. And some agencies don't even bother to reply in person, no matter how personalised your approach. Both pot and kettle are black.

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Is "homeworktranslation jobs" a scam? Sep 11, 2018

In certain countries it is absolutely illegal to make someone pay to get a job, such as France. Anyway who would make you pay for a service like that - giving you addresses which most likely do not exist any more or do not correspond to what you are looking for? it is ridiculous.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:55
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
The connotation of "homework" Sep 11, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:
We aren't "homeworkers".

Most of us are. We work from home. The fact that we are professionals does not change that. And many of us started out as amateurs or as non-freelance professionals (only a few actually studied to become translators).

I think the word "homework" has a strong association with what students do for their course work. Thus, it implies something lower than a professional level

[Edited at 2018-09-11 11:38 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

http://homeworktranslationjobs.com/ is it real or another scam?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »