Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Old format Jun 25, 2006

Hi, Henry and Jason,

I'd like to keep the old format profile, or else I'd like to have the box regarding feedback removed from the new one.
I'm not interested in publishing my thoughts about others nor am I interested in their publishing their thoughts about me.

I don't look for jobs through Proz.com. My interest in Proz.com is focused on forums and Kudoz. Also, it's an excellent way to keep in contact with the many and superb friends I made through Proz.com for w
... See more
Hi, Henry and Jason,

I'd like to keep the old format profile, or else I'd like to have the box regarding feedback removed from the new one.
I'm not interested in publishing my thoughts about others nor am I interested in their publishing their thoughts about me.

I don't look for jobs through Proz.com. My interest in Proz.com is focused on forums and Kudoz. Also, it's an excellent way to keep in contact with the many and superb friends I made through Proz.com for which I'm grateful to the site.

¡Have a nice weekend!
Graciela
Collapse

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:19
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
My own personal feeling about the new profile format which has been imposed: Jun 25, 2006

I don't like it at all, and I don't want it.

Cecilia

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Customizing only goes some way to curing the shortcomings of the new format Jun 25, 2006

I don't much like the way we are being told that there was a lot of consultation about the new profile format.

I for one feel that I was not given the slightest opportunity to voice my opinions. I do not follow forums very much, so if there was a mention of it, I missed it. I think when such sweeping, global changes are proposed, which affect what to me is the core activity of the site for which we pay, i.e. profile visibility with a view to getting work (or outsourcing wor
... See more
I don't much like the way we are being told that there was a lot of consultation about the new profile format.

I for one feel that I was not given the slightest opportunity to voice my opinions. I do not follow forums very much, so if there was a mention of it, I missed it. I think when such sweeping, global changes are proposed, which affect what to me is the core activity of the site for which we pay, i.e. profile visibility with a view to getting work (or outsourcing work, of course, from the reverse perspective), mere 'passive' consultation by way of polls and forum threads is not enough — a detailed questionnaire should be sent out to ALL members with current profiles, along the lines of "How important to you is the xxxx field? 0 – 10" etc.

Surely that way you would get a readily-interpreted and comprehensive idea of what people perceive as important?

The customize feature is all very well, but only allows you to leave out certain fields, but does not seem to offer the option of forcing the presence of certain other fields — like the 'years experience' one, which in my view is terrifically important.

[Edited at 2006-06-25 08:29]
Collapse

Jennifer Baker
Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
Clearly stated... Jun 25, 2006

As I already stated in another forum topic (without any direct response from those making these decisions)-
I simply want to be in control of what appears in my profile. And the idea of being able to choose the old profile format is pointless if others are directed to the new one. Its also misleading, in my opinion.

Jennifer

[Edited at 2006-06-25 08:22]

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:19
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
I do not want to show the target rate only Jun 25, 2006

I found the new format fine and I liked it but the problem is the new format shows the target rates only, not the minimum rate. I want the old format for showing my rate. Is it possible?

[Edited at 2006-06-25 13:01]

Prawi
Prawi  Identity Verified
Austria
German to Italian
Exactly my opinion Jun 25, 2006

JL Baker wrote:

I simply want to be in control of what appears in my profile. And the idea of being able to choose the old profile format is pointless if others are directed to the new one. Its also misleading, in my opinion.

I just do - not- understand why we cannot choose which profile we want to see and show others. Personalized or not. Please, give us an "use this profile format as default" -option in the old format.

Have a nice evening
Paola

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:19
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Showing minimum rates Jun 25, 2006

Lubain Masum wrote:

I found the new format fine and I liked it but the problem is the new format shows the target rates only, not the minimum rate. I want the old format for showing my rate. Is it possible?

Dear Lubian,

we had a discussion about showing/hiding minimum rates, see the following postings

http://www.proz.com/post/324481#324481

http://www.proz.com/post/324567#324567

http://www.proz.com/post/324604#324604

http://www.proz.com/post/324632#324632

bye
Gianfranco

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Returning to the old format is a bit of a job and a message would have been nice Jun 25, 2006

I found out that I seem to have acquired a different profile.
Even worse, with information that I never put in my profile to be published! Now, by reading the forum posts, I think I managed to return to the old profile as much as possible but I am not amused.

The text I added was based on the 'old' format, and I seem to have to change a lot to organise the info again - what would be against just making (keeping) it an option - old or new profile?

And WHY did I
... See more
Even worse, with information that I never put in my profile to be published! Now, by reading the forum posts, I think I managed to return to the old profile as much as possible but I am not amused.

The text I added was based on the 'old' format, and I seem to have to change a lot to organise the info again - what would be against just making (keeping) it an option - old or new profile?

And WHY did I have to find out by visiting my own profile, alarmed by forum messages I happened to see? Would it have been so difficult to send out a message: 'beware, your profile is going to have a different look. This is what you have to do if you want it to look the same'.
Or even better: click this if you want to preserve the old format.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:19
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
We have been putting out the message for months Jun 26, 2006

Anjo Sterringa wrote:

Hi Anjo,

As per your suggestions, we will do a mailing now. Thank you.

Just so you know, however, we have been putting out the message for several months.

First, we discussed and hashed out a new profile format among moderators. We had several tries until we got something the moderators could agree to. This took about one year.

After the profile had been improved based on moderator feedback, the first major thread, on March 23, was posted here: http://www.proz.com/topic/44157 There were 13 pages of replies. We made significant changes, mostly with the goal of making the profile as customizable as possible. We announced that we would begin to point to the new profile format, even as we left the old ones intact for individual use.

On April 20, we did this announcement:
http://www.proz.com/topic/45409
Again there was a good bit of feedback, and we made modifications accordingly.

All told, through the forums and support tickets, hundreds of members and site users suggested -- and we implemented -- over a hundred refinements.

Also, a quick poll was run: http://www.proz.com/?sp=polls&sp_mode=past&action=results&poll_id=845
This was run even before a second wave of user-led improvements, and it showed broad acceptance of the new profile format among members.

Then, in the April newsletter (sent to all members), we sent the following:

The new profile format, which has been in members-only beta testing for one month, was made available for use this week. It is accessible via a new URL, while the current format remains accessible through the current URL.

Your current profile is available here:
http://www.proz.com/pro/

Your new profile is available here:
http://www.proz.com/profile/

The new format is more attractive and better organized overall, and it includes a number of new features:

* an availability calendar
* standardized and personalized modes
* ability to add custom tabs
* localization of content
* colleague crosslinking
* An aggregate 'Settings' tab
* KudoZ & Project History "modules"
* More powerful options for search engine optimization.

In stages, beginning at the end of next week, the new format will be made the default throughout the site. If you don't want to wait, though, you can turn it on now. In any case, the current profile will remain accessible at the /pro URL, and we have no plans to discontinue it.

To learn more, see http://www.proz.com/topic/45409

Finally, there was this announcement. Now we'll add an email.

Thanks!

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Last-minute suggestions... Jun 26, 2006

Hola Henry,

I just wanted to add a couple other suggestions for the new profile:

1) When the users are logged in and they are looking at their profile, perhaps it would be worth having 2 modes: logged-user view of the profile and public view of the profile. That way, we also have an idea about how others are actually seeing our profiles (I don't know if this is already available, since I am not a paying member, so just ignore this comment if this is the case).
... See more
Hola Henry,

I just wanted to add a couple other suggestions for the new profile:

1) When the users are logged in and they are looking at their profile, perhaps it would be worth having 2 modes: logged-user view of the profile and public view of the profile. That way, we also have an idea about how others are actually seeing our profiles (I don't know if this is already available, since I am not a paying member, so just ignore this comment if this is the case).

2) Regarding one of the suggestions I had sent you by email, about showing the date when we registered and the date when we became paying members of Proz.com, I noticed you have added this feature, but it is showing in the "wrong" area (in the "Experience" field).

I suggest to include this in the "Account Type" field, where "ID verification" also appears. Maybe something like:

Account type: Freelancer/Company, Verified Site User, Registered in Proz.com in XXXX date, Paying Member since XXX date.

But I guess you will allow us through your new email poll to add other suggestions.

Thanks anyways for your efforts to please everyone.

[Edited at 2006-06-26 17:23]
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 00:19
English to French
+ ...
Message vs consultation Jun 26, 2006

Henry wrote:

Just so you know, however, we have been putting out the message for several months.

Yes Henry, you have been *announcing* the switch to the new profile, but I don't recall having been consulted in that respect.

I, for one, do not like it at all, and I am using the old profile. Unfortunately, it looks like I am the only one seeing the old version. Everyone else, outsourcers and colleagues alike, see the new one.

Could we at least have the option to choose?

On another note, I don't understand why you had to change the profiles, you know, "if it ain't broken don't fix it".

[Edited at 2006-06-26 17:59]

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:19
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another suggestion Jun 26, 2006

Hello all,

I came up with another possible improvement yesterday while I was editing my profile.

I have my new profile set to "personalized" which means that I have to click on the "+" sign to get the standardized information. When I do this and, say, click on the button to see my CV/resumé, if I press the "back" button on my browser to return to my profile the standardized information has disappeared. This means that you have to click on the "+" sign again to get it
... See more
Hello all,

I came up with another possible improvement yesterday while I was editing my profile.

I have my new profile set to "personalized" which means that I have to click on the "+" sign to get the standardized information. When I do this and, say, click on the button to see my CV/resumé, if I press the "back" button on my browser to return to my profile the standardized information has disappeared. This means that you have to click on the "+" sign again to get it back. Would it be possible to keep that standardized information there for when you press the back button?

This, of course, only happens when the profile is personalized, but I gather a lot of members are using the personalized format. This would make it easier for visitors to navigate our new profiles.

Thanks!

Rebecca.
Collapse

Jura Gorohovsky
Jura Gorohovsky
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:19
English to Russian
New look & refund Jun 27, 2006

Guys,

The new profile is bad. Really. You keep saying it's better structured than the old one, but in reality exactly the opposite holds true. Anyway, there's whole lot of negative discussion above and I won't repeat all the curses which seem to be perfectly valid, BTW. Just a few thoughts below.

1. You say you directed all the intrasite links to new profiles. OK, then ju
... See more
Guys,

The new profile is bad. Really. You keep saying it's better structured than the old one, but in reality exactly the opposite holds true. Anyway, there's whole lot of negative discussion above and I won't repeat all the curses which seem to be perfectly valid, BTW. Just a few thoughts below.

1. You say you directed all the intrasite links to new profiles. OK, then just take a look at mine: http://www.proz.com/profile/73131
See that photo? Who's that guy, tell me? I can't recognize him. Why is the photo magnified so that it reminds me of my diseased ancestors lying in their graves with eyeballs out? I'm no Dorian Gray, but my photo definitely used to look much better in its original size (http://www.proz.com/pro/73131), so why was it modified without any notice? I received an e-mail from a colleague a few days ago with a simple question: "who's that monster in your profile?" All thanks to her, she made me aware of the problem, but do you really think prospective customers would send me their million-dollar proposals after seing THAT mess in a profile page?!

2. The mere fact that someone changes the look and feel of your profile, which is actually your business card, and doesn't leave you any tools to restore the original appearance, means that your opinion is totally ignored. That's the way I feel now. I doubt that site staff can gain extra respect for that kind of activity. And here's another point - as it turns out, platinum members pay for something they can't control. Dissatisfaction about the new profile design coupled with the impression of uncontrollability can be GOOD REASONS TO THINK OVER OR CALL FOR REFUND. Even if after considering all advantages and disadvantages of being a ProZ member one prefers to stay, is it actually the challenge of "stay or not to stay" that you've aimed at when planning the whole endless process of renewing the site's functions? I guess not.

3. Your references to April newsletter are a bit quirky, to say the least, since the announcement concerning the new profile layout was placed in the 8th position there. One had to scroll down a few miles to find what you had intended to announce whereas, considering the significance of changes, you should have SCREAMED ABOUT THEM in gigantic font all over the site and the newsletter - exactly the way you did with your offer to pay 14.95 a month.

Anyway, I still appeal to your reason. LET PEOPLE CHOOSE how they want to be presented to customers and don't arrange extra inconveniences for them.
Of course, we could take time to customize our profiles to fit your idea of what an ideal business card should look like, but that won't add you any respect.

Thank you.
Collapse

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:19
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Photos Jun 27, 2006

Jura Gorohovsky wrote:

1. You say you directed all the intrasite links to new profiles. OK, then just take a look at mine: http://www.proz.com/profile/73131
See that photo? Who's that guy, tell me? I can't recognize him. Why is the photo magnified so that it reminds me of my diseased ancestors lying in their graves with eyeballs out? I'm no Dorian Gray, but my photo definitely used to look much better in its original size (http://www.proz.com/pro/73131), so why was it modified without any notice? I received an e-mail from a colleague a few days ago with a simple question: "who's that monster in your profile?" All thanks to her, she made me aware of the problem, but do you really think prospective customers would send me their million-dollar proposals after seing THAT mess in a profile page?!

I have to say that my enlarged photo isn't a beautiful likeness of myself either, and I prefer the smaller version, but I remember when the new profile was first released that the larger photo size was quite a popular adjustment. Perhaps we could modify our photo size to suit our own image?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site links will start pointing to new profile format

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »