Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
How to compete against experience and LOW rates? (rant warning)
Thread poster: Elda Veiga
Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:18
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Chimney sweepers and window-cleaners Mar 9, 2014

In Amsterdam, chimney sweepers and window-cleaners have reached bottom prices since decades. They used to charge the prize of the equivalent of 1 kilo of beef tenderloin a century ago, and they still do. The difference is that a century ago nobody in the neighbourhood I was born had ever eaten beef tenderloin and now many people can afford it.

Nowadays, those chimney sweepers and window-cleaners just beat up anyone who tries to take over their streets by undercutting their prizes. T
... See more
In Amsterdam, chimney sweepers and window-cleaners have reached bottom prices since decades. They used to charge the prize of the equivalent of 1 kilo of beef tenderloin a century ago, and they still do. The difference is that a century ago nobody in the neighbourhood I was born had ever eaten beef tenderloin and now many people can afford it.

Nowadays, those chimney sweepers and window-cleaners just beat up anyone who tries to take over their streets by undercutting their prizes. They have to bring very expensive ladders, so they can’t afford to skip addresses in their street and they now that the new guy can’t make any serious money with his approach.

Here we meet each other online and most of us are female, so often female strategies and ethics apply. Some time ago I read a Dutch study that found that professions dominated by women are unceasingly remunerated less than professions dominated by men. I think we shouldn’t underestimate that factor when we discuss about our rates but if the members of this site want to ignore that elephant in our room, I won’t protest.

Cheers,
Gerard
Collapse

Little Woods
Little Woods  Identity Verified
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
A thought on female mindset Mar 10, 2014

I mean no offense since I am female too but sometimes I can't just understand my female colleagues. The boom of unqualified with bloated experience translators in my pair came from a colleague who announced on a female populated forum that she made X amount a month by this and that everyone should make a try at it. Why would she, an experienced one, can be this careless and irresponsible making those claims.

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Nowadays, those chimney sweepers and window-cleaners just beat up anyone who tries to take over their streets by undercutting their prizes. They have to bring very expensive ladders, so they can’t afford to skip addresses in their street and they now that the new guy can’t make any serious money with his approach.

Here we meet each other online and most of us are female, so often female strategies and ethics apply. Some time ago I read a Dutch study that found that professions dominated by women are unceasingly remunerated less than professions dominated by men. I think we shouldn’t underestimate that factor when we discuss about our rates but if the members of this site want to ignore that elephant in our room, I won’t protest.

Cheers,
Gerard

[Edited at 2014-03-10 11:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-03-10 11:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-03-10 13:48 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
You compete with it by just offering your services Mar 12, 2014

There can't be too many people offering high-quality services at those rates. They can't serve the whole market. That's all.

[Edited at 2014-03-12 08:59 GMT]

Domenico Trimboli
Domenico Trimboli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:18
English to Italian
Interesting Mar 12, 2014

Gerard de Noord wrote:
Some time ago I read a Dutch study that found that professions dominated by women are unceasingly remunerated less than professions dominated by men. I think we shouldn’t underestimate that factor when we discuss about our rates but if the members of this site want to ignore that elephant in our room, I won’t protest.

That's interesting, Gerard. Do you have the link to the study, by any chance?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to compete against experience and LOW rates? (rant warning)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »