Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 22, 2016

For a long time at the start of studio 2015 a window popped up and suggested updating to the newest version. Today I did it, but nothing has changed. The program does not open on the monitor where it was closed and Word spellchecker does not work, only Hunspell. I have Word 2016 installed. I remember studio 2014 was much better. I just wonder what all these updates really do for us.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
$$$ Nov 22, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

....I just wonder what all these updates really do for us.

They are a way of forcing you to upgrade and pay more money. They rarely innovate in the accepted meaning of that word.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:44
English
not really... Nov 22, 2016

Hi Heinrich and Tom,

As much fun as it is to make us at SDL out to be a money hungry EvilCorp, the update is actually a Cumulative Update free of charge which fixes issues in the product.

You can see a detailed list of issues resolved here:
http://kb.sdl.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:9268

And yes, this is free of charge to make sure you can b
... See more
Hi Heinrich and Tom,

As much fun as it is to make us at SDL out to be a money hungry EvilCorp, the update is actually a Cumulative Update free of charge which fixes issues in the product.

And yes, this is free of charge to make sure you can be as productive as possible

Thanks,
Luis
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I feel or see no improvement Nov 22, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

Hi Heinrich and Tom,

And yes, this is free of charge to make sure you can be as productive as possible

Thanks,
Luis

Both versions 2014 and 2015 are as productive, but at least 2014 behaves better on startup.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
not clear Nov 22, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Both versions 2014 and 2015 are as productive, but at least 2014 behaves better on startup.

Hi Heinrich,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "behaves better on startup", maybe you can elaborate.

Thanks,
Luis

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My posting Nov 22, 2016

SDL Community wrote:

Hi Heinrich,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "behaves better on startup", maybe you can elaborate.

Thanks,
Luis

The program (2015) does not open on the monitor where it was closed and Word spellchecker does not work, only Hunspell.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/305878-ms_word_2015_spellchecker_not_working_in_studio_2015_editor.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/295112-studio_2015_opens_only_on_main_screen.html

[Bearbeitet am 2016-11-22 12:49 GMT]

Viator Fernandez
Viator Fernandez
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
nothing new... Nov 30, 2016

I am guessing they are just installing things in your computer in order to monitor, track or send to their servers. I would agree that little comes in the form of helpful additional tools for the translator to use.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@ Heinrich Nov 30, 2016

Got both installed on my computers, 2014 and 2015. Difference between the 2 Cats is that 2015 got more hoots and bels I don't use anyway. So the only difference I can find is that 2015 is working slower (heavier program?).

While having both, I still prefer to work with 2014 (= faster).

Newer doesn't necessarely means better!

Hope that answers your question.

[Edited at 2016-11-30 23:19 GMT]

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Word spellchecker works if you configure it to do so Dec 2, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

The program (2015) does not open on the monitor where it was closed and Word spellchecker does not work, only Hunspell.

Heinrich

Hunspell is the default spellchecker. If you want to use the Word Spellchecker, you need to set the option in "File - Options - Editor - Spellchecker" and - obviously - Word needs to be installed on the same PC.

Walter

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I know that Dec 3, 2016

Walter Blaser wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Heinrich

Hunspell is the default spellchecker. If you want to use the Word Spellchecker, you need to set the option in "File - Options - Editor - Spellchecker" and - obviously - Word needs to be installed on the same PC.

Walter

But it does not work since I changed to 2015. I have Word 2015, only Hunspell works in my Studio.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Different version Dec 3, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
But it does not work since I changed to 2015. I have Word 2015, only Hunspell works in my Studio.

I think you probably have Word 2013 or Word 2016. If I remember correctly, Studio 2015 - which was released before Word 2016 appeared - is not fully compatible with the latter. Perhaps that is the issue? Although having said that I must say that I used Studio 2015 with Office 2016 for a while without any issues before upgrading to 2017.

Dan

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word Spellcheck not working after installation and update of Studio 2015 SR2 Dec 8, 2016

Now I made a last attempt and re-installed Studio 2015. I was surprised the application remembered my settings from the prior installation, MS Word Spellcheck was selected and my favorite shortcuts.
But MS Word spellcheck does not work, only Hunspell does.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:44
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language variants Dec 8, 2016

Hi Heinrich,

Does this affect every language variant you use? For me, the Word spellchecker is disabled for variants that are not installed or enabled for spellchecking in Word itself. When I install/enable those variants in Word (Options-Language-Choose Editing Languages), Studio is able to use them for spellchecking. In other words, the languages that are available for the Word spellchecker in Studio are determined by Word, not by Studio.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Its the default language for Word, Finnish Dec 8, 2016

Nora Diaz wrote:

Hi Heinrich,

Does this affect every language variant you use? For me, the Word spellchecker is disabled for variants that are not installed or enabled for spellchecking in Word itself. When I install/enable those variants in Word (Options-Language-Choose Editing Languages), Studio is able to use them for spellchecking. In other words, the languages that are available for the Word spellchecker in Studio are determined by Word, not by Studio.

Probably the reason is, that I have both Office 2010 and 2016 installed on this new computer Win7. But for 2010 Microsoft did not allow to get the language package anymore, that's why I had to get Office 2016. Now Studio probably is referring to Word 2010, where the spellcheck does not work. I either should de-install Office 2010 or get Studio refer to Word 2016.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-12-09 05:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What have they really done?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »