emmanuelle groom
emmanuelle groom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:00
Member (2012)
English to French
Jun 19, 2013

Hi

I'm half way through a translation and the agency's asked me to send them a frequent segments file. I've looked in Batch Task, Analyse files but can't seem to find the frequent segments option.

Would be very grateful for your help.
Thanks

Emmanuelle

Create frequent segments file to export Jun 19, 2013

Hi Emmanuelle

Can you please explain what you mean by frequent segments? This is not a known term

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
English
Frequent Segments Jun 19, 2013

Hi Emmanuelle,

You can find this option here:

What this does is to create a single sdlxliff file that contains segments that occur more than the number of occurrences you set in the options. So if the phrase "A Cairn Terrier is a popular breed." appeared 12 times throughout the files you would find it once in the sdxliff file that is created.

The
... See more
Hi Emmanuelle,

You can find this option here:

What this does is to create a single sdlxliff file that contains segments that occur more than the number of occurrences you set in the options. So if the phrase "A Cairn Terrier is a popular breed." appeared 12 times throughout the files you would find it once in the sdxliff file that is created.

The idea being you then translate this file first and then pre-translate the project so you get consistent translations throughout. It's not perfect of course because you might have a different context for one compared to another that could change the gender for example, and in some languages the translation. But generally it's quite useful, especially for technical texts, or software strings for example.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

emmanuelle groom
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Where to find the exported frequent segments Jun 20, 2013

Hi Paul

Many thanks for your help. It is most appreciated.

I have exported the frequent segments. The process was successful according to my computer. I then pressed close.

Being relatively new to Trados I don't know what to do now. I am supposed to send the data as an xliff file so that a translation memory can be created. How do I do this?

Many thanks

Emmanuelle

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Using the FOU Jun 20, 2013

Hi Emmanuelle,

All you have to do is open the SDLXLIFF you just created and translate it. Then save it and send it to your client.

You will find the file in a folder within your project called Exports. This is created when you run the batch task and select the FOU option. Inside here the file will be called something like FrequentSegments en-US_fr-FR.sdlxliffExports. This is created when you run the batch task and select the FOU option. Inside here the file will be called something like FrequentSegments en-US_fr-FR.sdlxliff depending on your language pair.

So once you locate it all you need to do is either add this to your project, or if you are just translating this file for your client then just use the Open Document command to open the sdlxliff, translate it using whatever TM you like, and then save it (not save as target... just press ctrl+s). You then send the FrequentSegments en-US_fr-FR.sdlxliff file to your customer.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

emmanuelle groom
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification needed please Jun 20, 2013

Hello

I'm trying to follow your instructions but can't select FOU option in batch task (what does FOU stand for?). The file generated is an SDL Trados studio project file but I can't open it as it says 'it's already open and has been added to the project list' although I can't see where. (it's an .sdlproj file)

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Emmanuelle

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Now you're confusing me! Jun 20, 2013

Hi Emmanuelle,

You have already told me that you managed to run the analysis task, with the option to create the file checked. So you should have a folder structure that looks something like this:

Inside the Exports folder you will find the file you need. The sdlproj file is a project metadata file and
... See more
Hi Emmanuelle,

You have already told me that you managed to run the analysis task, with the option to create the file checked. So you should have a folder structure that looks something like this:

Inside the Exports folder you will find the file you need. The sdlproj file is a project metadata file and is not a translatable sdlxliff.

FOU stands for Frequently Occurring Units.

Regards

Paul
Collapse

emmanuelle groom
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
confused too Jun 20, 2013

The trouble is that the Exports folder is empty!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
ok... Jun 20, 2013

... maybe you have no frequently occurring units in your files?

Try changing the settings... so maybe reduce the default of 5 to 2 for example?

Regards

Paul

emmanuelle groom
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
done Jun 20, 2013

I've done it, set it to 2 but export file still empty. Feels like i'm going round in circles.

I'm wondering where I'm going wrong. I opened the document, partially translated it, ran the analysis following your instructions. Reopened the project file where it got saved, found an export file that was empty.

Is this to do with the fact that I'm running it on a partially translated file? Ought it be untranslated?

Thanks for your help!!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe you did nothing wrong? Jun 20, 2013

Hi Emmanuelle,

Could the problem be that the files you are testing this with simply have no duplicates?

If you are allowed please feel free to send them over to me and I'll happily take a look for you and see if I have the same problem. Might help to figure out where the problem is.

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Frequent Segments Mar 4, 2014

Hello,

I know how to create the FS. My problem is that once the creation is finished, in my Export folder there are 100 sdlxliff files (the project has 100 files to translate) and, as far as I see, the content of the FS files is the same. After open this file in SDL and try to translate it, I check that this file has a lot of repetions as well!!

Could anybody please help me on this? I don't know why 100 files are created and why the FS export has repetions too.
<
... See more
Hello,

I know how to create the FS. My problem is that once the creation is finished, in my Export folder there are 100 sdlxliff files (the project has 100 files to translate) and, as far as I see, the content of the FS files is the same. After open this file in SDL and try to translate it, I check that this file has a lot of repetions as well!!

Could anybody please help me on this? I don't know why 100 files are created and why the FS export has repetions too.

Thanks
Consuelo
Collapse

Javier Fain
Javier Fain
Argentina
Local time: 00:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Solution for this issue Oct 24, 2014

Hi guys,

I ended up in this discussion by mere chance and I believe I can provide you with a solution for this thread (though it's passed more than a year!). Maybe somebody else can benefit.
First of all, let's clarify that the "Export frequent segment" task in Trados Studio doesn't work, it's a bug. That being said, have a look at the following workaround I've been working on instead:

1) Create a New Project with the files you were provided with.
2) Select
... See more
Hi guys,

I ended up in this discussion by mere chance and I believe I can provide you with a solution for this thread (though it's passed more than a year!). Maybe somebody else can benefit.
First of all, let's clarify that the "Export frequent segment" task in Trados Studio doesn't work, it's a bug. That being said, have a look at the following workaround I've been working on instead:

1) Create a New Project with the files you were provided with.
2) Select all the files anc click Merge

http://filkin.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/02.jpg?w=545&h=213

3) Rename the Frequent file SDLXLIFF as desired.

http://filkin.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/03.jpg?w=545

4) You should see something like this:

http://filkin.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/04.jpg?w=818&h=230

4) Run Analysis with your TM and the option Export frequent segments turned on.
5) The .SDLXLIFF is saved in Export folder.

Let me know if it worked.
Regards.
Javier.-

[Edited at 2014-10-24 01:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-24 02:01 GMT]
Collapse

Export Frequent Segments Mar 31, 2015

I googled this discussion while I was trying to export frequent segments myself and also faced the same problem, as people reported here above.

Trados completed the batch task 'analyze files' and the report showed that threre were repetitions. However, there was no 'Exports' folder in the project folder or 'Exports' folder was empty.

I solved the problem by deleting all source files from the project and then adding them again and choosing the 'Prepare' batch tas
... See more
I googled this discussion while I was trying to export frequent segments myself and also faced the same problem, as people reported here above.

Trados completed the batch task 'analyze files' and the report showed that threre were repetitions. However, there was no 'Exports' folder in the project folder or 'Exports' folder was empty.

I solved the problem by deleting all source files from the project and then adding them again and choosing the 'Prepare' batch task sequence (which includes 'Analyse files'). This time the SDLXLIFF files with frequent segments showed up in the 'Exports' folder.

I do not know if it's a Trados bug (or feature), but exporting frequent segment only works for me right after i add the files and choose 'prepare'. My Trados version is SDL Studio SP2 Professional.

Hope it helps someone!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create frequent segments file to export

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »