English to Spanish
+ ...
Travis Nickerson <[email protected]> SCAM ALERT! Jan 24, 2022

SCAM ALERT!

FREE RANGE ORGANIC FARM PRODUCTION
FOR THE PURPOSE OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM/LECTURE ON FARM PRODUCTION

BY

Carie hasselman

I'm so glad it occurred to me to look up "his project" before I proceeded with my
... See more
SCAM ALERT!

FREE RANGE ORGANIC FARM PRODUCTION
FOR THE PURPOSE OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM/LECTURE ON FARM PRODUCTION

BY

Carie hasselman

I'm so glad it occurred to me to look up "his project" before I proceeded with my proposal. I'll was going to reply and ask him to pay 50% upfront using Paypal or Venmo.

Thanks for making us aware of these scammers!

Esther T.
Collapse

Melisa Rosales

Helena Bushroe
Helena Bushroe
United States
Local time: 13:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I received the same request. Jan 24, 2022

Same request. Same email. English to Portuguese. It is the third time I receive an email scam via Proz.

Melisa Rosales

Melisa Rosales
Melisa Rosales
United States
Local time: 15:41
English to Spanish
Same scam person Jan 24, 2022

Hi, I just received the same scam from the same person, requesting to translate the same farm project and telling me he could "transfer o wire me 50% upfront". I'm glad I found this post!
My question is, how to proceed regularly? How should I recognize possible scams? When a client contacts me, which proof should I ask for? Thank you!

Rodrigo Gomez Tregent
Mariana Tarifa

Javier Moreno Pollarolo
Javier Moreno Pollarolo
United States
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scammers are using real people's names and positions. Jan 25, 2022

Last week I got a ProZ mail from a person asking me for a quote, without any additional information. I asked this person what was the subject about, and they sent me a PDF file of a generic contract. I gave them the quote and, right off the bat, they responded me asking me for my address so they could send me the check immediately. That raised a flag and I decided to ask them to call me since I wanted to be sure they were legit. The email address... See more
Last week I got a ProZ mail from a person asking me for a quote, without any additional information. I asked this person what was the subject about, and they sent me a PDF file of a generic contract. I gave them the quote and, right off the bat, they responded me asking me for my address so they could send me the check immediately. That raised a flag and I decided to ask them to call me since I wanted to be sure they were legit. The email address was a gmail address, [email protected], and the email name specified the name of the person, a REAL person who worked at a REAL company. They replied and they claimed they called me but I didn't answer (false: My cellphone didn't report any phone calls nor voice messages), and that raised a second flag. I googled the name of the person and her company and it showed she existed, currently having a high rank position at a big company in the U.S. I decided to contact the company myself and, yes, they got back to me saying this person NEVER sent me any emails.

The scammer didn't bother to write correctly, never put their phone or company name in the email, and was desperate to send me a check, asking me for my address. I personally have never seen anything like this: A scammer using a real person's name and position to do harm.

Several things made me doubt at first and forced me to contact the company via a different channel:
1. The IP address of the sender (thanks ProZ!) reported the scammer was in Washington DC. The real person's based in Portland, OR.
2. The reply timestamps showed 9 hours of difference from OR timezone (i.e. Eastern Europe or Africa)
3. The lack of professionalism of the scammer.

Here are the emails the scammer wrote:

1. "How much is your cost price per worlds"

2. "Here is the attached document to let me know the total price"

3. "I can only make payments with check and I want you to give me your payment name and address to mail out the payment check to"

4. "Have been trying to call you but not going through.Do you accept my method of payment? Let me know so that i can instruct my manager to prepare your check because am really busy for now".

Be on the look and trust your instincts. Be sure the email sender has an email with their company domain or, at least, a phone number you can call to.

Thanks to ProZ.com for including the IP address of the sender in their contact feature. And thanks to the people at Premier Packaging for getting back to me.
Collapse

Mariana Tarifa

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:41
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Separate forum thread Jan 25, 2022

Javier Moreno-Pollarolo wrote:

Last week I got a ProZ mail from a person asking me for a quote, without any additional information. I asked this person what was the subject about, and they sent me a PDF file of a generic contract.

Javier, this is a copy of a thread you've started (https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/355663-an_advanced_form_of_scam_i_almost_fell_for_last_week.html), but which - apart from being a scam, of course - has nothing to do with this one, which is about a specific organic-farming related scam.
I'd keep the two separate.

Jorge Fecuri
Jorge Fecuri  Identity Verified
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I am probably his latest target.... Oct 24, 2022

... luckily I have not started to work for him and discovered this thread.

By the way, he contacted me for English into Portuguese and I have his email and his phone number (area code from Michigan).

Stay safe, everyone!

Ventura Rodriguez
Ventura Rodriguez
United States
Local time: 16:41
Member (2022)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Possible scam: organic farming document for translation Oct 29, 2022

I received the document mentioned above for an English-to-Spanish translation via Proz two days ago.

Luckily, I checked the forum before sending a quotation.

It looks like a scam.

Mariana Tarifa
Mariana Tarifa
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I've just received the exact same email Oct 29, 2022

So these people aim to get our physical addresses?
Thank you for posting this!

Lise Leavitt
Lise Leavitt  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Danish to English
+ ...
They are still scamming Oct 25, 2023

Just got a mail with the exact same document wanting a Danish translation. This time the name is Gideon Charles. Same MO, same wording i emails. Btw you can report it as scam, when they send through Proz. There is a link at the bottom of the email.

[Edited at 2023-10-25 18:15 GMT]

Awa Diagne LO
Awa Diagne LO  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
same scam, different email address Oct 27, 2023

Our scammer friend is still active, this time with the address : [email protected]. He contacted me to translate it into French.

Edina Toole
Edina Toole
United States
Member (2023)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Ditto, except now the sender is Gideon Simeon. You can't trace him. I too demanded half upfront. Oct 28, 2023

Jeff & Hiroko Bunderson wrote:

We received a translation request from a Kelvin Baker ([email protected]) for a translation of the document "FREE RANGE ORGANIC FARM PRODUCTION FOR THE PURPOSE OF COMMUNITY EMPOWERMENT PROGRAM/LECTURE ON FARM PRODUCTION" BY Carie Hasselman.

He said in the original email:
"Can i submit my document for translation from English to
Japanese? I want it translated/submitted before March
5th.Please respond back if you can meet up with this
deadline."

Asked no questions about rates or experience, and is willing to pay half up front with a check.

Be careful.

Vanessa Maia Gomes
Vanessa Maia Gomes
United States
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same !!! And it is 2023 now!! Nov 1, 2023

Same documents about free range organic farming

[email protected]

ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, how are you doing..Are you available to translate a
project from English to Portuguese

-----------
Author: Gideon
[NOTE: The aut
... See more
Same documents about free range organic farming

[email protected]

ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, how are you doing..Are you available to translate a
project from English to Portuguese

-----------
Author: Gideon
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 91.207.103.206
Message type: Job-related
-----------
Collapse

Dana Mann

Dana Mann
Dana Mann
United States
English to Romanian
+ ...
Received the same document Nov 2, 2023

English to Romanian. Same address, [email protected]

Gloria Soto Vera
Gloria Soto Vera
United States
English to Guarani
+ ...
Organic Farming Gideon Charles Nov 6, 2023

Received the same email from Gideon Charles ([email protected]), he sent an expired driver's license showing an old white man photo, from California, the name differs on the DL, it's Gideon Michael Stewart. He's been promising the 50% in advance but "it's delayed," he said today.
He called from +15073668368, verified number from Minnesota, but it didn't go through, so he called from +1(782) 234-1297 (name: Sweet Sugar) with an Indian accent via WhatsApp.
He hasn't aske
... See more
Received the same email from Gideon Charles ([email protected]), he sent an expired driver's license showing an old white man photo, from California, the name differs on the DL, it's Gideon Michael Stewart. He's been promising the 50% in advance but "it's delayed," he said today.
He called from +15073668368, verified number from Minnesota, but it didn't go through, so he called from +1(782) 234-1297 (name: Sweet Sugar) with an Indian accent via WhatsApp.
He hasn't asked me for money yet, but I was wondering how I could turn this person to the Police?
I'm a newly immigrant to the US, I don't know how to proceed. TIA

UPDATE: Received a check for $4,100, when I was expecting only $1,000. The check probably is fake and he was going to ask me to send him back the $3k, while the check was processed in a few days and found it's counterfeit. He's been calling me a lot. My bank advisor told me to do nothing with the check and ignore him.

Hopefully no other translators will be scammed.

[Edited at 2023-11-06 22:43 GMT]
Collapse

herrhec
herrhec
United States
English to Spanish
ONE MORE TIME SAME SCAM! Nov 7, 2023

I also received the same scam a few days ago. It's been around since 2021?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible scam: organic farming translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »