Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:35
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No discussion needed - just a suggestion Nov 8, 2017

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:
I will not discuss the first issue here beyond noting that translators should upload the CVs in a non-editable format

Maybe ProZ.com could accept only non-editable formats in uploaded CVs (but then you still have lots of editable CVs alredy uploaded). As stated before, I do not plan to discuss here this aspect of the problem.

Could you at least warn translators of the need to be careful when they upload a CV? I don't believe even that is being done at the moment. If you suggested the upload a scanned pdf or similar, ask for contact to be made through their profile, think twice about giving their full postal address etc., then we might be a lot better protected.

Even if you don't want to discuss it, surely this could be done cheaply easily and quickly.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:35
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Bank data Nov 8, 2017

How do they get paid? Do they find a way to use a fake name in their bank accounts too?

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:35
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Focus Nov 8, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:
I will not discuss the first issue here beyond noting that translators should upload the CVs in a non-editable format

Maybe ProZ.com could accept only non-editable formats in uploaded CVs (but then you still have lots of editable CVs alredy uploaded). As stated before, I do not plan to discuss here this aspect of the problem.

Could you at least warn translators of the need to be careful when they upload a CV? I don't believe even that is being done at the moment. If you suggested the upload a scanned pdf or similar, ask for contact to be made through their profile, think twice about giving their full postal address etc., then we might be a lot better protected.

Even if you don't want to discuss it, surely this could be done cheaply easily and quickly.

Hi Sheila,

I left this issue outside the scope of my post just to be able to focus on the issue of fake applications. It does not mean in any that ProZ.com is not willing to discuss this issue.

Regards,
Enrique

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Non-editable/download authorisation Nov 8, 2017

PDFs can be edited with the right software, and there are readily available services to convert them to Word.

An image PDF cannot be edited, but it can be run through an OCR scanner, also readily available, and then it becomes editable.

How about letting the translator define that their CV can only be downloaded if they approve an emailed request? That way they can approve who gets their CV. If someone wants to look at a CV, the system would send an authorisation reque
... See more
PDFs can be edited with the right software, and there are readily available services to convert them to Word.

An image PDF cannot be edited, but it can be run through an OCR scanner, also readily available, and then it becomes editable.

How about letting the translator define that their CV can only be downloaded if they approve an emailed request? That way they can approve who gets their CV. If someone wants to look at a CV, the system would send an authorisation request to the translator, with a link to the requesting user profile and an approval or rejection link.

I think it should be made optional. I would upload my CV if there were such an authorisation procedure, but I don't want my CV to be available in public, so I don't have any in my profile right now. I consider the risk of abuse too great.

Added:Would it be possible for the Proz software to add some sort of hidden, unique authorisation code to the PDF provided, so that in case of abuse, it can be traced who originally downloaded it?

[Edited at 2017-11-08 16:30 GMT]
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:35
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
How these scammers work Nov 8, 2017

Daniel Frisano wrote:

How do they get paid? Do they find a way to use a fake name in their bank accounts too?

Hi Daniel,

A simple method is getting actual jobs, delivering machine translation and demanding full payment from the companies, threatening to discredit them as non-payers if they fail to pay. Many companies prefer to pay to avoid the troubles.

In a more complex approach, scammers get job from companies and then offer it (usually with a good rate) to actual translators. In due time they get the good translation, deliver it to the good company, get the full payment and they vanish. When the translators demand their payment they get nothing.

You will find more information in the articles quoted above.

Regards,
Enrique

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CVs Nov 8, 2017

I would say that being able to upload CVs to a profile has no advantages and far too much risk; and certainly if they can simply be downloaded by all and sundry. Why make it easy for someone to steal it? Anyone wanting a CV can contact the owner to request it.

Agree that it is beholden on agencies/end-clients to do their due diligence before contracting any translator... I'm generally pretty diligent. And reasonably smart. But I did get caught out once - the scam was well worked. An
... See more
I would say that being able to upload CVs to a profile has no advantages and far too much risk; and certainly if they can simply be downloaded by all and sundry. Why make it easy for someone to steal it? Anyone wanting a CV can contact the owner to request it.

Agree that it is beholden on agencies/end-clients to do their due diligence before contracting any translator... I'm generally pretty diligent. And reasonably smart. But I did get caught out once - the scam was well worked. And I realised too late. How did they get paid? Not using fake bank ID, but using PayPal. PayPal, for the record, were less than helpful, when it was pointed out they had helped facilitate a fraudulent transaction. Go figure...
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
@Enrique Nov 8, 2017

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.

Say that I pretend that I am Enrique Cavalitto. How do I get paid from an agency? To a bank account under what name?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Endless options Nov 8, 2017

Daniel Frisano wrote:

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question.

Say that I pretend that I am Enrique Cavalitto. How do I get paid from an agency? To a bank account under what name?

As Libero_Lang_Lab just said: PayPal. You just need an email address. Or Western Union. Or Bitcoin. Or something similar. Or to a bank account in a country where banks don't check the account holder name for transfers (the UK, for example).

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Escrow/invoicing Nov 8, 2017

Libero_Lang_Lab wrote:

PayPal, for the record, were less than helpful, when it was pointed out they had helped facilitate a fraudulent transaction. Go figure...

Most likely they both denied the transaction to the recipient and the refund to you. Problem solved (for them), with bonus. I still remember the 1st time I used it, must have been more than 12 years ago, they kept the payment on hold until I was able to prove my identity via ID plus utility bill, and the sum certainly wasn't astronomical (probably with the payer knowing nothing about it).

Perhaps some kind of escrow system would solve this problem. Or perhaps the ProZ invoicing tool, which I admit I have never used, nor do I know exactly how it works.

[Edited at 2017-11-08 17:33 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:35
SITE FOUNDER
Ideas for authenticating a CV? Nov 8, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

How about letting the translator define that their CV can only be downloaded if they approve an emailed request? That way they can approve who gets their CV. If someone wants to look at a CV, the system would send an authorisation request to the translator, with a link to the requesting user profile and an approval or rejection link.

I think it should be made optional. I would upload my CV if there were such an authorisation procedure, but I don't want my CV to be available in public, so I don't have any in my profile right now. I consider the risk of abuse too great.

Added:Would it be possible for the Proz software to add some sort of hidden, unique authorisation code to the PDF provided, so that in case of abuse, it can be traced who originally downloaded it?

I don't know much about this. Can anyone think of a way that it would be possible to tie a CV to a profile (with verified identity), or otherwise solve the problem that Libero_Lang_Lab has presented in this thread?

It occurs to me that verified emails (or verified phone numbers, etc.) could play a role.

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Ideas for authenticating a CV? Nov 9, 2017

one option is to apply a digital signature, a commercial one (Verisign, etc.) or a self-made signature as mine

this doesn't prevent a scammer OCRizing it, but in this case the digital signature disappears and I have a claim on my website and elsewhere that states that only my signed CV is mine or sent by me ...

the problem is that uploading a self-signed on Proz deletes the signature, as I just understood now!
argh
so maybe this workaround is usable, if Proz
... See more
one option is to apply a digital signature, a commercial one (Verisign, etc.) or a self-made signature as mine

this doesn't prevent a scammer OCRizing it, but in this case the digital signature disappears and I have a claim on my website and elsewhere that states that only my signed CV is mine or sent by me ...

the problem is that uploading a self-signed on Proz deletes the signature, as I just understood now!
argh
so maybe this workaround is usable, if Proz developers find a way to keep the signature

my 2 cents

[Edited at 2017-11-09 23:28 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:35
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Claudio Nov 9, 2017

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

(try to wownload my CV to see how it works )

maybe this workaround is usable, but other opinions are welcome

my 2 cents

Thank you! I see your CV. I am confused. How is it that the bit about being digitally signed is not simply copied?

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Ideas for authenticating a CV? Nov 9, 2017

Hi Henry

I tried again with the correct file and it doesn't work
the box with my signature disappears both in the browser and downloaded file
dunno why

[Edited at 2017-11-10 00:58 GMT]

Daniel Frisano
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
... Nov 14, 2017

It may be a bit off-topic, but this thread reminds me of a specific "translator" whose work I proofread at least 3 times over the years.

She claims long-time experience and specialization in several fields, boasts several dozen WWA entries from clients, and... well, her "work" is so astoundingly bad that it borders on illiteracy.

I almost hoped that it was a case of stolen identity. Either that, or she's been getting away with selling this horrible stuff, and get
... See more
It may be a bit off-topic, but this thread reminds me of a specific "translator" whose work I proofread at least 3 times over the years.

She claims long-time experience and specialization in several fields, boasts several dozen WWA entries from clients, and... well, her "work" is so astoundingly bad that it borders on illiteracy.

I almost hoped that it was a case of stolen identity. Either that, or she's been getting away with selling this horrible stuff, and getting recognition from it, for more than a decade, and I don't know what's worse.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proliferation of fake profiles/ Identity theft

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »