Thread poster: Erika Cenefels (X)
Erika Cenefels (X)
Erika Cenefels (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:25
German to French
+ ...
Jul 27, 2007

Anybody having trouble with Hotmail today ?

My computer was attacked this morning (hopefully my protection was quick enough to block it), and I know I am not the only one.

The weird thing is that I can't find any news related to this issue anywhere on the net. Anyone ?

Anyway, try to avoid opening your Hotmail mailbox today!

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Moved the topic... Jul 27, 2007

... to the forum Safe Computing as an On-Topic thread.

Regards,
Özden

Erika Cenefels (X)
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx Jul 27, 2007

Thanks, Özden !

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 02:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
. Jul 27, 2007

Hi Erika,

Thanks for the warning. Do you know HOW your computer was attacked? Did you open an e-mail in your Hotmail inbox, or did it happen just from logging in to Hotmail?

Regards
Andrea

bububu
bububu  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
+1 Jul 27, 2007

I cannot open my Hotmail mailbox today. :0(

Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Giovany Rodríguez Monsalve
Colombia
Local time: 01:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
I had exactly the same problem. Jul 27, 2007

Appears the following message:

SERVER TOO BUSY.

I don't know what's the problem but I hope to open my mailbox within 2 hours.

Is it a kind of virus?

Elena Aleksandrova
Elena Aleksandrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:25
Member (2009)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
i dont think... Jul 28, 2007

I dont think it is a virus. Just the server is too busy. Gmail and google seem not to work as usual either - I wasnt able to open either of them yesterday for about 3 hours.

You cant say "there is a virus" unless you can prove it. Your protection can block it or cant block it, and the speed doesnt matter. If it blocks it - you will get a message that there is a virus (troyan) and you will be asked what do you want to do. If your AV cant detect it - you will not get any messages - ma
... See more
I dont think it is a virus. Just the server is too busy. Gmail and google seem not to work as usual either - I wasnt able to open either of them yesterday for about 3 hours.

You cant say "there is a virus" unless you can prove it. Your protection can block it or cant block it, and the speed doesnt matter. If it blocks it - you will get a message that there is a virus (troyan) and you will be asked what do you want to do. If your AV cant detect it - you will not get any messages - maybe there is(1%) but... maybe there isnt (99%, if you keep you AV up to date). If you suspect a virus - try some of the online scanners.

There was a virus in yahoo mail a week ago. My AV kept detecting the virus in one of the adverts.
Collapse

Erika Cenefels (X)
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not in a mail Jul 28, 2007

The virus was not in a mail but on the site, as far as I could see.

Maybe Hotmail blocked the access to the site temporarily to prevent more people from being attacked.

Not sure I will try to open my mailbox today either, I will probably try to find out more first.

Erika Cenefels (X)
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It really was one Jul 28, 2007

Hello Elena,

Yes my AV detected a virus, and asked me if I wanted to put it in quarantine.

Like I said before, other computers from people I know were attacked through Hotmail, this is why I posted this warning.

Have a nice weekend everybody!

Galina F
Galina F
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
I've had the same Jul 28, 2007

Hello, Erika,
yes, my computer has also been attacked by some virus while trying to sign on hotmail. I was very surprised.

Best wishes,
Galina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus on Hotmail?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »