BeatrizP
BeatrizP
Spain
Local time: 12:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 12, 2011

Hi,
I´m working on a website translation and I don´t know if the following segment should be translated:

Name | *name=input
Position | *position=input
Company | *Company=input
Email | *email=input | | EMAIL
Telephone number | *Telephone_number=input
How can we help?
| How_can_we_help=textarea,40,5

Thanks!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My guess Aug 12, 2011

Beatriz Peña wrote:
Name | *name=input
Company | *Company=input
How can we help? | How_can_we_help=textarea,40,5

My guess is that that is an input box of sorts, and I would translate the stuff before the pipes.

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
agree Aug 12, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Beatriz Peña wrote:
Name | *name=input
Company | *Company=input
How can we help? | How_can_we_help=textarea,40,5

My guess is that that is an input box of sorts, and I would translate the stuff before the pipes.

programming knowledge needed Feb 18, 2012

You'd better learn PHP or asp.net in advance before you translate the website. After that you could know what to translate and what should not.

SoerenB
SoerenB  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Your translation tool parser should decide for you - if you have the correct file format Feb 21, 2012

What is to the left of the pipe (vertical bar) is the visible, translatable string. What is to the right of the pipe is the untranslatable alias for each value.

Best way to translate web site content is to translate the resources/content in their native format using a proper parser in your translation tool. The parser then knows - based on the native file format - what to present as translatable, and what to protect as untranslatable.

If instead everything is taken to f
... See more
What is to the left of the pipe (vertical bar) is the visible, translatable string. What is to the right of the pipe is the untranslatable alias for each value.

Best way to translate web site content is to translate the resources/content in their native format using a proper parser in your translation tool. The parser then knows - based on the native file format - what to present as translatable, and what to protect as untranslatable.

If instead everything is taken to for example simple columns in a spreadsheet (often done, alas) or similar, then the translation tool / parser, cannot know what to protect and what to allow for translation.

// Søren
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website segment- translate or not

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »