Thomas Mann Buddenbrook in English
Thread poster: Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:15
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 19, 2007

I've asked this on the Italian>English help but I'm not having much luck, so I'm appealing to anyone who might have a copy of Buddenbrook in English.

I have a translation in which the author quotes a piece from Buddenbrook in Italian, I'd like to find the "official" translation if possible.
The excerpt is from Part1, chapter 6.
The Italian text is:
«Thomas, figlio mio, sii gentile,» disse Johann Buddenbrook e trasse il grosso mazzo delle chiavi dalla tasca dei pa
... See more
I've asked this on the Italian>English help but I'm not having much luck, so I'm appealing to anyone who might have a copy of Buddenbrook in English.

I have a translation in which the author quotes a piece from Buddenbrook in Italian, I'd like to find the "official" translation if possible.
The excerpt is from Part1, chapter 6.
The Italian text is:
«Thomas, figlio mio, sii gentile,» disse Johann Buddenbrook e trasse il grosso mazzo delle chiavi dalla tasca dei pantaloni. «Nella seconda cantina a destra, secondo scaffale, dietro al Bordeaux rosso: due bottiglie, sai?» E Thomas, che era bravo in simili incarichi, corse via e tornò con le bottiglie coperte di polvere e di ragnatele. Ma non appena da quei recipienti modesti sgorgò nei bicchieri piccoli da dessert il succo dolce e dorato del vecchio Malvasia, giunse per il pastore Wunderlich il momento di alzarsi, e, mentre la conversazione taceva, egli levò il bicchiere e cominciò il brindisi con frasi piacevolmente tornite.

So the English should run something like this:
"Thomas, my boy (or my son), do me a favour (?)," said J.B. taking the big bunch of keys out of his trouser pocket.
..... and so on till
".... he raised his glass and began to make a toast...."

I know I could order the book in English from Amazon, but there isn't much time, nor do I really want the book in English!
Any help would be much appreciated.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:15
German to English
Buddenbrooks Oct 19, 2007

Hi Alexandra - I don't have the English translation of Buddenbrooks, but I can offer the German original. This might help you and others find the English version:

"Thomas, mein Sohn, sei mal so gut", sprach Johann Buddenbrook und zog sein großes Schlüsselbund aus der Beinkleidtasche. "Im zweiten Keller rechts, das zweite Fach, hinter dem roten Bordeaux, zwei Bouteillen, du?" Und Thomas, der sich auf solche Aufträge verstand, lief fort und kam wieder mit den ganz verstaubten und u
... See more
Hi Alexandra - I don't have the English translation of Buddenbrooks, but I can offer the German original. This might help you and others find the English version:

"Thomas, mein Sohn, sei mal so gut", sprach Johann Buddenbrook und zog sein großes Schlüsselbund aus der Beinkleidtasche. "Im zweiten Keller rechts, das zweite Fach, hinter dem roten Bordeaux, zwei Bouteillen, du?" Und Thomas, der sich auf solche Aufträge verstand, lief fort und kam wieder mit den ganz verstaubten und umsponnenen Flaschen. Kaum aber war aus dieser unscheinbaren Hülle der goldgelbe, traubensüße alte Malvasier in die kleinen Dessertweingläser geflossen, als der Augenblick gekommen war, da Pastor Wunderlich sich erhob und, während das Gespräch verstummte, das Glas in der Hand, in angenehmen Wendungen zu toasten begann.

[Edited at 2007-10-19 18:57]
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 20, 2007

Thanks, I've not had much luck so far!

Sibylle Ferner
Sibylle Ferner
Local time: 08:15
English to German
+ ...
English translation Oct 23, 2007

Hi Alexandra,

From the Penguin edition, translation by H. T. Lowe-Porter, first published 1924, reprinted 1979, page 26:

" 'Thomas, my son, come here a minute,' said J. B., taking his great bunch of keys from his trousers pocket. 'In the second cellar to the right, in the second bin, behind the red Bordeaux, two bottles - you understand!' Thomas, to whom such orders were familiar, ran off and soon came back with the two bottles, covered with dust and cob-webs; and the
... See more
Hi Alexandra,

From the Penguin edition, translation by H. T. Lowe-Porter, first published 1924, reprinted 1979, page 26:

" 'Thomas, my son, come here a minute,' said J. B., taking his great bunch of keys from his trousers pocket. 'In the second cellar to the right, in the second bin, behind the red Bordeaux, two bottles - you understand!' Thomas, to whom such orders were familiar, ran off and soon came back with the two bottles, covered with dust and cob-webs; and the little dessert-glasses were filled with sweet golden-yellow Malmsey from these unsightly receptacles. Now the moment came when P. W. rose, glass in hand, to propose a toast; and the company fell silent to listen."

I hope it's not too late for you. I've been away for a few days and just found your question on my return home.

HTH
Sibylle
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!!!! Oct 23, 2007

Thanks very much, I was just about to resign myself to having to transate it.... !

Annie Bode
Annie Bode
Sign Language to English
Looking for original German of Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks Jul 1, 2008

Kim Metzger wrote:

"Thomas, mein Sohn, sei mal so gut", sprach Johann Buddenbrook und zog sein großes Schlüsselbund aus der Beinkleidtasche. "Im zweiten Keller rechts, das zweite Fach, hinter dem roten Bordeaux, zwei Bouteillen, du?" Und Thomas, der sich auf solche Aufträge verstand, lief fort und kam wieder mit den ganz verstaubten und umsponnenen Flaschen. Kaum aber war aus dieser unscheinbaren Hülle der goldgelbe, traubensüße alte Malvasier in die kleinen Dessertweingläser geflossen, als der Augenblick gekommen war, da Pastor Wunderlich sich erhob und, während das Gespräch verstummte, das Glas in der Hand, in angenehmen Wendungen zu toasten begann.

[Edited at 2007-10-19 18:57]

Hi Kim - You mentioned having the German original to Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks and I'm looking for the original German used to describe the following meal early in the book: "...mussel ragout, julienne soup, baked sole, roast veal with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts, maraschino pudding, and pumpernickel with Roquefort cheese..." Part 3, Chapter 2, 4th paragraph. What did Mann originally use for the maraschino pudding? The English came from H. T. Lowe-Porter's Translation, 1976. And would 'marschino pudding' be how you translate it as well? Thanks

[Edited at 2008-07-01 16:57]

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
Marasquino-Pudding Jul 2, 2008

Annie Bode wrote:

"...mussel ragout, julienne soup, baked sole, roast veal with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts, maraschino pudding, and pumpernickel with Roquefort cheese..." Part 3, Chapter 2, 4th paragraph. What did Mann originally use for the maraschino pudding? The English came from H. T. Lowe-Porter's Translation, 1976. And would 'marschino pudding' be how you translate it as well? Thanks

"Er aß Muschelragout, Juliennesuppe, gebackene Seezungen, Kalbsbraten mit Rahmkartoffeln und Blumenkohl, Marasquino-Pudding und Pumpernickel mit Roquefort ..."

Fischer Bücherei, 1967

Annie Bode
Annie Bode
Sign Language to English
Thanks for the German text. Jul 3, 2008

Kim Metzger wrote:

Annie Bode wrote:

"...mussel ragout, julienne soup, baked sole, roast veal with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts, maraschino pudding, and pumpernickel with Roquefort cheese..." Part 3, Chapter 2, 4th paragraph. What did Mann originally use for the maraschino pudding? The English came from H. T. Lowe-Porter's Translation, 1976. And would 'marschino pudding' be how you translate it as well? Thanks

"Er aß Muschelragout, Juliennesuppe, gebackene Seezungen, Kalbsbraten mit Rahmkartoffeln und Blumenkohl, Marasquino-Pudding und Pumpernickel mit Roquefort ..."

Fischer Bücherei, 1967

Thanks for the German text from Mann's Buddenbrooks. Much appreciated and grateful for your time!

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Pumpernickel mit Roquefort Jul 12, 2008

And I thought I was the only person who ate pumpernickel with roquefort!

BTW, Thomas Mann is known to have expressed the wish that anyone who translated his work should do so as literally as possible.

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
cauliflower Jul 13, 2008

Richard Benham wrote:

BTW, Thomas Mann is known to have expressed the wish that anyone who translated his work should do so as literally as possible.

So Annie's English translation contains one major error.

"...mussel ragout, julienne soup, baked sole, roast veal with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts, maraschino pudding, and pumpernickel with Roquefort cheese..."

Blumenkohl is cauliflower, not brussels sprouts. What about Rahmkartoffel?

Annie Bode
Annie Bode
Sign Language to English
What about Rahmkartoffel? Sep 11, 2008

Would that more accurately be cream potatoes? And thanks for pointing out the English translation error in my copy of Buddenbrooks re: Blumenkohl.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thomas Mann Buddenbrook in English

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »