Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Translate a horrible autobiography? Your advice please.
Thread poster: Olga Reiff (X)
Melissa Stanfield
Melissa Stanfield  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:44
Italian to English
+ ...
go with your heart Jan 24, 2007

I agree with the comments above - if it's causing you too much emotional stress, just leave it alone. Work is not worth all that heartache.

Vito's mention of Susan Sarandon (I think you meant "Dead Man Walking" maybe Vito?) got me thinking - in watching that film, that man's story (which was from a book written by Sarandon's real life character), the viewer/reader is incredibly unsettled by the callous brutality of the act - but is also changed, affected, by the experience of seeing
... See more
I agree with the comments above - if it's causing you too much emotional stress, just leave it alone. Work is not worth all that heartache.

Vito's mention of Susan Sarandon (I think you meant "Dead Man Walking" maybe Vito?) got me thinking - in watching that film, that man's story (which was from a book written by Sarandon's real life character), the viewer/reader is incredibly unsettled by the callous brutality of the act - but is also changed, affected, by the experience of seeing what this murderer goes through, how he ended up in such a pathetic position. She put herself in front of him, and wrote about him, because she was called to do it - it certainly wouldn't have been a job for just anyone. And she certainly didn't have to - she chose to.

So, without waffling any further, I think it comes down to how the story makes you 'feel' - if you genuinely believe it can touch other people in some way, and if you feel it genuinely deserves your effort in translating it.

It really depends on who this man 'is' - there are criminals and criminals. I don't know if the Australian autobiographical works of Mark "Chopper" Read have been translated (I wouldn't be surprised, as they made a movie about him starring Eric Bana which was quite big) - but I wouldn't translate them - I find them heinous and pointless. However, they were bestsellers - he has a 'fan-base' - so someone - a lot of someones - are interested. (This is a man who quotes on his website - "Even though history has been quoted as saying "the pen is mightier than the sword," I would still prefer the sword, plus a pistol, shotty and dynamite.")

I'm also wondering - is there a question here of profiteering from crime (for him)? Does he talk about the actual crimes? And therefore, who is paying for this? I know the suspected Australian drug-smuggler Schapelle Corby wrote an autobiography last year from her Bali prison cell, planning to raise money for her defence, and I don't think she was allowed to see any of the profits. I'm really no expert on this, but just raising the question because it interests me - I don't know if these laws affect translations too.

[Edited at 2007-01-24 01:17]
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:44
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I understand Olga's feelings and agree with Pina. Jan 24, 2007

Pina Broccoli wrote:

I'm not sure if the advice you seek is more specific than "should I do it or not?"... but my advice to you is if you have a moral or ethical objection to the subject matter, don't do it.

If you are concerned about having your name published as the translator of this document and the associations people may make to you... then I also suggest you don't do it.

A few years ago, I was asked to translate a "politically-charged" book and I declined because the subject matter made me uncomfortable. It was not a question or whether I agreed with the author or not (I can be objective in my translations) but how it made me feel. To me, it was not worth it.

[Edited at 2007-01-23 15:17]

I understand Olga's misgivings about this book, and agree with Pina.
Many years ago an agency asked me to translate a cassette tape of interviews about female circumcision in Africa. It consisted of very indistinct African French voices justifying that nasty practice, and because it was difficult to hear I had to play the tape over and over again and really "have my nose rubbed" in the subject. It was most depressing and very difficult, and the fact that I can still remember it after all these years shows the effect such work can have on one, so I'd advise Olga not to take the job if she feels doubtful about it - apart from the very sensible point someone made about the likelihood of getting paid by someone who's in prison.

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:44
German to English
+ ...
Free choice Jan 24, 2007

Olga Reiff wrote:
I could **** have to **** translate the autobiography of a man who is in prison in the country I live in....
(emphasis added)

I don't understand why you would *have* to do this. Are you an employee somewhere and have no choice? What forces you to do this? If you feel even remotely uncomfortable with certain subject matter, just say no and invest your time in other projects.

Melissa Stanfield
Melissa Stanfield  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:44
Italian to English
+ ...
The effect it will have on **you** Jan 24, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I understand Olga's misgivings about this book, and agree with Pina.
Many years ago an agency asked me to translate a cassette tape of interviews about female circumcision in Africa. It consisted of very indistinct African French voices justifying that nasty practice, and because it was difficult to hear I had to play the tape over and over again and really "have my nose rubbed" in the subject. It was most depressing and very difficult, and the fact that I can still remember it after all these years shows the effect such work can have on one, so I'd advise Olga not to take the job if she feels doubtful about it - apart from the very sensible point someone made about the likelihood of getting paid by someone who's in prison.

This is another good example that to me reinforces that the decision is all about how **you** feel - I did a large research project on this topic above almost ten years ago that took the best part of a year, and I still feel positive about having done it; and despite the graphic nature of the research (and, as Jenny says, the difficulty of reading and hearing about women justifying it), I don't regret having done it now - I still feel that the research I did is important, and I remember it clearly for the right reasons. For Jenny, it's a different story altogether - and on the same token I know there are many topics others could 'deal' with (rather, would want to 'deal' with) that I couldn't go near.

So I'll just reiterate what everyone is saying - if you're having reservations, leave it alone. Put yourself first.

[Edited at 2007-01-24 12:18]

erika rubinstein
erika rubinstein  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
I translate from time to time some private letters from persons, being in prison. Jan 24, 2007

I never felt uncomfortable because of them being in prison, maybe a little bit because of hurting the privacy. The client in this case is a translation agency. It is different and even thrilling, and it is still a job and nothing more.

Olga Reiff (X)
Olga Reiff (X)  Identity Verified
Russian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I took a decision Jan 25, 2007

Dear colleagues,
what you wrote me in the last two days was very interesting and helpful and I am glad I asked for your opinion in this forum. And I decided not to do it, because of the time I would have to spend on it and the stress it would bring into my family. Thanks for your comments!

ms. jagruti trivedi
ms. jagruti trivedi  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:14
English to Gujarati
+ ...
take your time, learn and do your best Jan 30, 2007

Olga Reiff wrote:

Dear colleagues,
I could have to translate the autobiography of a man who is in prison in the country I live in. Anyone who has experience with that topic: Please write me.

Dear Olga,

When I did Harry Potter in Gujarati, I lived all the characters in the fiction... When I am doing Gandhi's collected works, I am living in History...!!

Yes, translation needs you to go to the deepest level of the author/text. And for the best output, you have to be objective. It is like a doctor getting desensitised to treat a patient!

The routine translation jobs get you money, and other rewards, but what counts is the enrichment one realises after finishing the out-of-the-track book/project!!

I am sure, the end result would have been beyond your imagination, though you might find the initial phase quite stressful.
But nevertheless, I respect your decision.

Nice to read this off-beat topic here.

Best regards
Jagruti

lucylee
lucylee
Local time: 06:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
Take it as an usual job. Feb 25, 2007

From my individul opinion, you can just take it as a job no different as the others, then you will not feel uncomfortable, no matter how awful it depicts in that autography.

Rosanna Palermo
Rosanna Palermo  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:44
Member (2006)
Italian to English

would a lawyer question motives or just do his job? Aug 31, 2007

[quote]Harry Hermawan wrote:

Olga Reiff wrote:

Dear colleagues,
I could have to translate the autobiography of a man who is in prison in the country I live in. Anyone who has experience with that topic: Please write me.

We are professionals. We work for a living.
We are entrusted with translating, from one language to another and to the best of our ability, the actual thoughts of others.
I have to put it crudely but we are a tool, nothing more or less.
OJ Simpson's lawyer did his job- the nation despised him yet he did his job.

It is not our place to judge or morally restrain others from expressing themselves. Freedom of speech, thought and yes freedom for you to turn down the job if you wish but beware that the next translator will do it with no scruples or questions asked.

A life lesson I bitterly learned for example:
At my last job I refused to finance a 2008 Explorer for a person who already had 2 mortgages and minimal income.
She brought home $2500/month, had a total of $1500/month in mortgage payments alone and wanted a vehicle that would have cost her $750/month, leaving her with next to nothing for groceries and utilities; by the way she also had 3 small children to feed.

Although the bank would have done it and I would have received commission for the finance/sale of the vehicle(about $600.00), I felt that this person would be in over their head, would not be able to afford the payment and potentially lose the vehicle (if you don't make the payments, the bank takes it back, sells it at auction and takes you to court for the balance + legal fees+auction does etc. which is sometimes more than 1/2 of the value of the car) as well as having to declare bankruptcy within 2 months.

The car payment was just too high and I advised her to settle for a lesser vehicle, maybe a 2005 or 2006, not a brand new one, which would have brought her payments way down.
She did not want to hear it and walked out of the store.
3 months later her name popped up in the bankruptcy filings which I reviewed every week.

As it happened, the dealership down the street did not have my scruples, sold her the car anyway, cashed their check and moved on.

Did I do what I felt was right? Absolutely. Did it prevent disaster? Nope. If someone is really determined to do something, he/she will go around until they find someone that will do it for them..regardless.

If YOU don't want to do it..don't
If you won't do it thinking that he will not be able to get someone else to do it..take another look at the above.
I do not think that any semi-intelligent peer would blame you for doing your job. I for one would not.

[Edited at 2007-08-31 16:05]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate a horrible autobiography? Your advice please.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »