Thread poster: LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:56
Russian to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2012

Why can't Kudos glossary entries be edited, even if only for one minute after posting. People who work with different languages can mistype something, from time to time. To prevent cheating targeted at accumulation of brownies, the quality of Kudos glossary is being compromised. I think that the quality of the glossary is more important than if someone got one more brownie because he or she changed something after they saw another answer.

[Edited
... See more
Why can't Kudos glossary entries be edited, even if only for one minute after posting. People who work with different languages can mistype something, from time to time. To prevent cheating targeted at accumulation of brownies, the quality of Kudos glossary is being compromised. I think that the quality of the glossary is more important than if someone got one more brownie because he or she changed something after they saw another answer.

[Edited at 2012-07-21 12:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-21 12:48 GMT]
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:56
Hebrew to English
Cheating is exactly what it prevents Jul 21, 2012

You have the option of posting twice (although you are warned it is not to become a habit!) so if you really aren't happy with your answer you can hide and reanswer.

You cannot be allowed to edit a KudoZ question as this would be unfair and would be like a big neon sign above a doorway to abuse.

If you have to:

"change something after they saw another answer"

Then this is copying, is it not? Or at the very least relying on someone else's answer to reach your own.

If you are in such a rush to post your answer, only to see someone else's answer and realise yours is incorrect in some way, then tough. You should have waited....or you should have the honesty to merely add a note to your answer, that way the asker [and everyone else] can see you came to this after the other person and they can see everything chronologically, as it should be.

So, you have options:

1. Hide and reanswer
2. Add a note to your existing answer

I believe these are good safeguards from abuse and cheating in KudoZ. The ability to edit KudoZ answers is just a black hole of dodginess and underhandedness.

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
And I wouldn't worry about the glossary entries... Jul 21, 2012

If the thing in the header is messed up, just submit a support request to change it.
Simple.

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Ty Jul 21, 2012

I don't care about any brownies, or things like that. I just like Kudos, like some people like quizzes (I like them, too), not that I would guess the answers, of course here, but I know many answers to the questions. Sometimes you may just accidentally misspell something, even a very simple word, and there is no way to correct it. It is even embarrassing. It is also very bad for some people that want to use the glossary in the future.

[Edited at 2012-07-21 13:45
... See more
I don't care about any brownies, or things like that. I just like Kudos, like some people like quizzes (I like them, too), not that I would guess the answers, of course here, but I know many answers to the questions. Sometimes you may just accidentally misspell something, even a very simple word, and there is no way to correct it. It is even embarrassing. It is also very bad for some people that want to use the glossary in the future.

[Edited at 2012-07-21 13:45 GMT]
Collapse

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
And actually.... Jul 21, 2012

When the chosen answer is being put into the glossary, the person entering it into the glossary has the opportunity to edit it first before sending it off.

So I don't see the problem there.

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
I still don't see the problem...... Jul 21, 2012

LilianBoland wrote:

[Edited at 2012-07-21 13:45 GMT]

If you misspell something in the main header, submit a support request to change the spelling, they'll do it for you (if it is only a typo). I don't believe they will change entire words - because this is just dodgy. If you really mess up something in the main header part and you don't believe site staff will correct the error, then hide it and start again!

If you misspell something in the body/explanation bit then just add a note, everyone does that.

And as I pointed out above, if your answer is chosen and entered into the glossary there is an option to edit it for mistakes (or other reasons) before entering it into the glossary.

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Jul 21, 2012

So, I can hide the answer, if I don't want to look at it? It is good to know.

Ty Kendall
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Yes Jul 21, 2012

LilianBoland wrote:

So, I can hide the answer, if I don't want to look at it? It is good to know.

You have to enter a reason though and if you hide more than 10% of your answers I think they become visible anyway....

"In general, an answerer should submit no more than one answer per question. Occasional exceptions are allowed, but users are not permitted to make a habit of providing multiple answers to single "help" KudoZ questions."
http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.3#3.3

If you hide it and re-answer ProZ knows it's a second answer and gives you a little purple warning, which is where the above rule comes into play.

You really should use the hide function judiciously though. I reserve it for when I answer the exact same time as someone else and we've answered the exact same thing. In these cases one of the parties usually bows out graciously and uses the hide function for this purpose.
You shouldn't use it every time you make a typo (as there are other ways of dealing with this) or every time you realise you are wrong as you will quickly exceed the 10% and your hidden answers will become visible anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can't glossary entries be edited?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »