Hannu Jaatinen (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:35
English to Finnish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2010

Hi everyone,

I have six TXT language files for a web application, and they look like this:

"Brief Description for you to recognize. Does NOT affect your actual form." = ""
"Brief Description for you to recognize. Does NOT affect your actual personalization tag." = ""
"Brief Description for you to recognize. Does NOT affect your actual template." = ""
"Ctrl + click (or click and drag) to select/de-select items." = ""
"Enter a brief des... See more
Hi everyone,

I have six TXT language files for a web application, and they look like this:

"Brief Description for you to recognize. Does NOT affect your actual form." = ""
"Brief Description for you to recognize. Does NOT affect your actual personalization tag." = ""
"Brief Description for you to recognize. Does NOT affect your actual template." = ""
"Ctrl + click (or click and drag) to select/de-select items." = ""
"Enter a brief description for this bounce code here." = ""

The translation should go between the last double quotes. Is there any way to import the files to MemoQ so that I don't need to do any copy-pasting after the translation?

Is the TXT actually some other format, like PO or similar, and I should just change the file extension. All ideas (other tools as well) are more than welcome!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best wishes, Hannu Jaatinen
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:35
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just one suggestion Dec 13, 2010

I am not sure they will deal with this, but Kilgray is holding a webinar tomorrow about preparation of files. You might want to attend and see whether it helps you. It could be interesting by all means.

You can register here.

As for your question in particular, indeed preparing TXT files with a free format into MemoQ is something a bit unexplored for me (I always res
... See more
I am not sure they will deal with this, but Kilgray is holding a webinar tomorrow about preparation of files. You might want to attend and see whether it helps you. It could be interesting by all means.

You can register here.

As for your question in particular, indeed preparing TXT files with a free format into MemoQ is something a bit unexplored for me (I always resort to Office applications and little old tricks). Sorry for not being a big help! I am sure other colleagues will have good suggestions.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:35
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Import as Excel Dec 13, 2010

1. Import the text into Excel with " as the separator.
2. Copy the source to the target column (after the column with = signs).
3. Import only this column into MemoQ, translate, export to Excel.
4. Export from Excel as text with " as the separator. If the last " does not get exported (cannot try it out now), fill the last column with a meaningless sequence of characters and then remove them from the final text file.

Or just use Rainbow Java from the Okapi Framew
... See more
1. Import the text into Excel with " as the separator.
2. Copy the source to the target column (after the column with = signs).
3. Import only this column into MemoQ, translate, export to Excel.
4. Export from Excel as text with " as the separator. If the last " does not get exported (cannot try it out now), fill the last column with a meaningless sequence of characters and then remove them from the final text file.

Or just use Rainbow Java from the Okapi Framework...

[Edited at 2010-12-13 20:14 GMT]
Collapse

Hannu Jaatinen (X)
Hannu Jaatinen (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:35
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excel worked Dec 13, 2010

Thanks for the tip!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating an import filter for TXT language file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »