MemoQ 4.5 - Export entire project no longer possible?
Initiator des Themas: heikeb
heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Mitglied (2003)
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Nov 7, 2010

I'm in my first project with version 4.5.

In the 3.x version, I always used to export the entire project at the end of the day to a flash drive as backup. This has already saved me once when the TM got corrupted. Since the previous "healthy" tm was exported together with the project files I didn't lose too much and could continue within a short time.

This function seems to have disappeared in 4.5 (or maybe already in 4.2?). If I now want to make backups of all project-r
... See more
I'm in my first project with version 4.5.

In the 3.x version, I always used to export the entire project at the end of the day to a flash drive as backup. This has already saved me once when the TM got corrupted. Since the previous "healthy" tm was exported together with the project files I didn't lose too much and could continue within a short time.

This function seems to have disappeared in 4.5 (or maybe already in 4.2?). If I now want to make backups of all project-relevant files, would I have to go to the individual folders where all separate parts are saved and back up each file individually?

If this is indeed the case, could we please have the function back? Or am I missing something?

-------------------

Of course, I was missing something!
I found the backup function in the Mange Projects panel.

How would a restore work? Would all current files of a project be overwritten with the backup package?
Do I need the original project in order to run restore?

What I liked with the previous way (export project) was that I could just import the previously exported project as a new project without overwriting the old one. In the above mentioned case of corrupted TM, I could still access old and new versions and was able to "recycle" some of the segments I translated after the export.

[Edited at 2010-11-07 18:11 GMT]
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Mitglied (2003)
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
Need a solution Nov 9, 2010

OK, I found that I can backup my current project. That's of course great.

However, if I'd need to restore my current project on another computer, that won't be possible as the restore function apparently needs the original project to restore, right?

In order to create a handoff package, I can't use the Pro version, I'd need the version for LSP and Enterprises, right?

So, what am I to do in case my computer crashes and I need to continue work on another comp
... See more
OK, I found that I can backup my current project. That's of course great.

However, if I'd need to restore my current project on another computer, that won't be possible as the restore function apparently needs the original project to restore, right?

In order to create a handoff package, I can't use the Pro version, I'd need the version for LSP and Enterprises, right?

So, what am I to do in case my computer crashes and I need to continue work on another computer?

With the old "Export entire project" function, this wouldn't be a problem. I could just import all project files into the second computer and would be up and running in no time.

Is there a solution for such a scenario?

To be able to recover from any disaster in the shortest time possible is vital for a translator. With files stored in several different locations, keeping usable backup copies of current projects available is definitely not very user-friendly.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 4.5 - Export entire project no longer possible?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »