Thread poster: Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Aug 1, 2007

I use Outlook Express to send and receive emails, although I can also do so through Internet Explorer, but it's slower.
Suddenly, Outlook Express rejects my password (which I haven't changed) and I can't get into it any more.
I'd be grateful for any advice about what has happened and how to put it right. I'm afraid I'm technically inept, so any advice would need to be "twit-friendly".
Thanks in advance,
Jenny.

dom_fr
dom_fr
France
Local time: 20:19
English to French
And the login Aug 1, 2007

Is your login correct and not blank ?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Are you using your full email address as your username? Aug 1, 2007

I had a problem once with Outlook Express, which went on so long I gave it up altogether and now use Firefox and Thunderbird, which I much prefer. But I eventually discovered that I had entered only the short form of my username. When I entered my full email address as the username, it worked.

Mohammad Reza Razaghi
Mohammad Reza Razaghi  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 21:49
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Possible cause... Aug 1, 2007

Hi Jenny!

This has happened to me several times. Some technical problems (or even hacking activities) on your mail server can cause this phenomemon. If you are using the email account belonging to your own domain, Try this:

1- Login to your domain control panel (for example, cPanel) via your browser (e.g. www.xxx.com/cpanel) and using the domain account password you have received from
... See more
Hi Jenny!

This has happened to me several times. Some technical problems (or even hacking activities) on your mail server can cause this phenomemon. If you are using the email account belonging to your own domain, Try this:

1- Login to your domain control panel (for example, cPanel) via your browser (e.g. www.xxx.com/cpanel) and using the domain account password you have received from the host (this procedure may vary depending on your host, please check your host instructions).

2- Go to "Email Accounts" or other similar section to access your email accounts. There you can add, remove or change password of your email accounts.

3- Select "Change Password" and enter your new password (usually, you can enter the old password as well, but it is recommended to change it).

4- Apply changes and exit the control panel.

Now, you can access your email account via OutlookExpress by the new password.

HTH

Best,

Mohammad Reza
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Yes Aug 1, 2007

dom_fr wrote:

Is your login correct and not blank ?

Thank you, dom_fr. Yes, my login is correct and not blank. I haven't changed anything. Indeed, I have re-entered my correct password, but it Outlook Express still rejects it.
Regards, Jenny.

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I'll try your suggestions Aug 1, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

I had a problem once with Outlook Express, which went on so long I gave it up altogether and now use Firefox and Thunderbird, which I much prefer. But I eventually discovered that I had entered only the short form of my username. When I entered my full email address as the username, it worked.

Thank you, Jack and Mohammad,
I'll try your suggestions and see if that helps.
Regards,
Jenny.

Mieke Tulp (X)
Mieke Tulp (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
had same problem Aug 1, 2007

Hi Jenny

Outlook Express played the same trick with me several times and it sort of solved itself. Same as you: I had not changed user name or password and still it said the password was wrong and it would not let me connect.

I never found out what was wrong, but after closing Outlook Express and reopening after an hour (cooling down period for me...) it worked again.

Good luck! Mieke

yzmohasseb
yzmohasseb  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:19
Arabic to English
+ ...
Send and Receive or Send only? Aug 1, 2007

Hello Jenny,

If you have an outgoing message. Some servers require you to authenticate before you send the message. So this window comes up if you did not set the option. To set the optioin, go to account settings, then choose: My server requires authentication.

Also if you have web access to the same email account. (i.e. via internet explorer and a web page) try it to see whether the server is down or not. Sometimes it is a server fault not your fault...
See more
Hello Jenny,

If you have an outgoing message. Some servers require you to authenticate before you send the message. So this window comes up if you did not set the option. To set the optioin, go to account settings, then choose: My server requires authentication.

Also if you have web access to the same email account. (i.e. via internet explorer and a web page) try it to see whether the server is down or not. Sometimes it is a server fault not your fault

I hope it helps.

Best
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 15:19
English to Spanish
Retrieving Outlook/MSN/IE passwords... Aug 1, 2007

In addition to the useful suggestions you've received, I wanted to add that you can run a simple program to retrieve your usernames and passwords from the protected storage to check that you are actually typing the right information.

I've used Protected Storage PassView coutless times whenever I forgot a newly created username or password. The beauty of the program is that it's a simple .exe file that needs no inst
... See more
In addition to the useful suggestions you've received, I wanted to add that you can run a simple program to retrieve your usernames and passwords from the protected storage to check that you are actually typing the right information.

I've used Protected Storage PassView coutless times whenever I forgot a newly created username or password. The beauty of the program is that it's a simple .exe file that needs no installation.

Do please notice that this program will reveal all passwords, so if you share the computer with someone else... well, you get the idea.
Collapse

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Comment to Mohammeds suggestion Aug 1, 2007

Add to Mohammeds post:
If you change the Password in the Cpanel you have to change the new password as well in Outlook express, otherwise Outlook will give you a constant error message.

My suggestion:
Simply enter your Cpanel (if you have one) delete the e-mail, and reenter the old e-mail adress and the old password.

But I am sure that this problem was caused by a temporary server problem, so no need to panic.

Inge Davidsen
Inge Davidsen
Ireland
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Have you tried restarting Windows? Aug 1, 2007

Restarting your computer may solve the problem.

Jennifer Forbes
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, everyone Aug 2, 2007

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful and sympathetic replies.
As Jack suggested, I changed my user name to my full email address, and that worked for a time. Then Outlook Express started rejecting my password again.
Then, after waiting a while and restarting the computer, the problem just vanished.
It may have been triggered by the fact that a client (due to some glitch at his end) sent me the same long file NINE times. The problem started after that. Could that have been t
... See more
Thank you, everyone, for your helpful and sympathetic replies.
As Jack suggested, I changed my user name to my full email address, and that worked for a time. Then Outlook Express started rejecting my password again.
Then, after waiting a while and restarting the computer, the problem just vanished.
It may have been triggered by the fact that a client (due to some glitch at his end) sent me the same long file NINE times. The problem started after that. Could that have been the cause, or was it just a coincidence? Never mind ...
It's all a mystery to me, but thank you again.
Kind regards,
Jenny.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook Express rejects my password

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »