Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:18
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2006

Since yesterday I cannot translate any more, because of the irritation of my browser popping up all the time. I normally have it minimised at the bottom of the screen when I am translating, but now it keeps maximising, on its own, about every 10 seconds, over the top of what I am translating, and stops me from typing - usually right in the middle of a word. I have searched with Google, but cannot find any information about this new virus. Furthermore, I have already run all the virus detection ... See more
Since yesterday I cannot translate any more, because of the irritation of my browser popping up all the time. I normally have it minimised at the bottom of the screen when I am translating, but now it keeps maximising, on its own, about every 10 seconds, over the top of what I am translating, and stops me from typing - usually right in the middle of a word. I have searched with Google, but cannot find any information about this new virus. Furthermore, I have already run all the virus detection programs on my computer, and they have not detected this latest virus (or any virus). Can anyone help? I can't work at all with the browser going over the top of my work once every 10 seconds.

Astrid
Collapse

Sergi Callau (X)
Sergi Callau (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please, do a proof cleaning of your system Apr 25, 2006

Please,

First of all go to http://www.ccleaner.com/ and download CC Cleaner. Secondly, go to http://www.spybot.info/ and download SpyBot Search & Destroy.

Install both of them. During the installation of SpyBot, ask for uptdate the product (search for updates). But do not run the programs (then).
... See more
Please,

First of all go to http://www.ccleaner.com/ and download CC Cleaner. Secondly, go to http://www.spybot.info/ and download SpyBot Search & Destroy.

Install both of them. During the installation of SpyBot, ask for uptdate the product (search for updates). But do not run the programs (then).

Re-start your system in secure mode (press F8 when the system sarts, before any windows appears).

Now run CC Cleaner a do a cleaning. It saves you a lot of space in your HD (and cleans a lot of trash, spyware...). Then, run Spybot an do a complete check of the system.

After this you can restart your system and do a poof check with your antivirus. If you have'nt one, you can try a free test on line. example: http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm.

Good luck

Sergi
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much, Sergi, I'll try it Apr 25, 2006

Thanks, I already have Spybot, but I do not have the CC cleaner, so I will try that. Will let you know how I get on. Browser keeps interrupting my typing here just now.

Astrid

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Which browser do you use? Apr 25, 2006

Internet Explorer by any chance? It sounds like typical IE behaviour to me. Once you have resolved your problem, download a better browser, such as Firefox, that will not go installing malware without your permission.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Temporary solution: use a different browser Apr 25, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
Since yesterday I cannot translate any more, because of the irritation of my browser popping up all the time. I normally have it minimised at the bottom of the screen...

A temporary solution is to use a different browser. If you're using Internet Explorer (IE), try using Mozilla Firefox (slower, but will look more familiar) or Opera (faster, but needs user GUI customisation to mimick IE's look-and-feel).

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
If the above proffered advices fail ... Apr 25, 2006

Try:

http://www.jayloden.com/aimfix.htm
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.kaspersky.com/

Please post the result; let us know which tool cured your problem!

Best rega
... See more
Try:

http://www.jayloden.com/aimfix.htm
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.kaspersky.com/

Please post the result; let us know which tool cured your problem!

Best regards,

Sven.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, I have tried everything Apr 25, 2006

I have carefully tried everything suggested here today, and, according to www.pcpitstop.com, my computer has never been so free of spyware and viruses as it is just now. However, the problem has not been solved, and is worse than ever. My browser window plasters itself over my e-mails when I am trying to read them, about every 3 seconds, so I am having to print them first, and then read them.

I als
... See more
I have carefully tried everything suggested here today, and, according to www.pcpitstop.com, my computer has never been so free of spyware and viruses as it is just now. However, the problem has not been solved, and is worse than ever. My browser window plasters itself over my e-mails when I am trying to read them, about every 3 seconds, so I am having to print them first, and then read them.

I also downloaded IE7 Beta 2. Since I did that, I cannot delete a block of text in an e-mail any more, or highlight it and change the font; I have to go backwards deleting it one character at a time.

By the way, I don't like Firefox, because it is not compatible with the Postbank software, and I like to be able to inspect my bank account easily.

I am of the opinion that some hijacker has made a very small change in my registry, which is not picked up by any programs that I run.

Anyhow, I'll return to the issue tomorrow.

Astrid
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 21:18
English to French
+ ...
Have you tried restoring your system? Apr 25, 2006

Hi Astrid

Have you tried restoring your system to a prior date, a date where everything worked fine?

The beta version you're mentioning could be the culprit here, so restoring to a date pre-beta downloading should do it.

HTH

Sarah

Sven Petersson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dear Astrid, Apr 26, 2006

We can only help you if you provide detailed feedback!

Use the format: I run Aimfix; it reported and deleted xxxx/it reported nothing. The problem remains/seems to have been cured.

Sarah’s suggestion is undoubtedly worth trying.

IE7 beta is just as leaky as an updated IE6.

It is well established that a number of banks use code that is not W3C compliant, and therefore not Firefox compatible. There is however a Firefox plug-in that switches to
... See more
We can only help you if you provide detailed feedback!

Use the format: I run Aimfix; it reported and deleted xxxx/it reported nothing. The problem remains/seems to have been cured.

Sarah’s suggestion is undoubtedly worth trying.

IE7 beta is just as leaky as an updated IE6.

It is well established that a number of banks use code that is not W3C compliant, and therefore not Firefox compatible. There is however a Firefox plug-in that switches to IE for sites selected by the user. You would be well advised to use the non-leaky Firefox with that plug-in programmed for an IE switch for your bank’s site ONLY.

You may indeed have to resort to reformatting your harddisk and reinstalling everything OR to editing the registry. For the latter activity I recommend jv16 (http://www.jv16.org/). jv16 may even solve your problem automatically when you run the registry cleaner.

Keep us posted!

Best regards,

Sven.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 26, 2006

Thanks, Sven!

I have jv16 PowerTools, and run it regularly. I also ran it yesterday.

I have a lot of problems with my computer since that crash after a virus at the beginning of 2005. For instance, I have been unable to get sound since then, despite downloading the correct drivers, etc., etc.. Other tools I use on my computer every day are: XoftSpy, Diskeeper, Spybot Ad-Aware SE and Microsoft Antispyware. I test my comp
... See more
Thanks, Sven!

I have jv16 PowerTools, and run it regularly. I also ran it yesterday.

I have a lot of problems with my computer since that crash after a virus at the beginning of 2005. For instance, I have been unable to get sound since then, despite downloading the correct drivers, etc., etc.. Other tools I use on my computer every day are: XoftSpy, Diskeeper, Spybot Ad-Aware SE and Microsoft Antispyware. I test my computer regularly at www.pcpitstop.com - and in the latter lies the problem. According to their tests, I have a fantastic, powerful computer. Therefore, the solution of buying a new one, which I would otherwise not hesitate to do, seems absurd, if I have a powerful computer that could theoretically be fixed.

Re-formatting the hard disk might cure everything, but it would take days, or even a week, of loss of income in the meantime, as I have so much on my computer, and I would hate to lose all the data on it (which would be necessary, as one of my computer's problems is that it refuses to put anything onto a CD-ROM in the normal manner). Otherwise, I could pay someone locally to re-format it for me, but I bet it would cost as much as a new computer.

The browser problem, however, is a new one.

Anyhow, thanks for your suggestions.

Astrid
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dear Astrid, Apr 26, 2006

Plese tell EXACTLY what was done to your computer after "that crash after a virus at the beginning of 2005":

Was the C drive reformted?

Was an operating system reinstallation performed?

etc.

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
C drive reformatted Apr 26, 2006

Well, I don't know what happened to the computer, and what sort of virus it had, and I never will know. I came back from vacation and it would hardly come on, even in safe mode. There did not appear to be an operating system on it any more, so I got out the recovery disk and installed the operating system. Later I found out that the installation of the operating system is listed twice on the start-up screen, but someone also found out for me that the second one in the list is badly damaged. The ... See more
Well, I don't know what happened to the computer, and what sort of virus it had, and I never will know. I came back from vacation and it would hardly come on, even in safe mode. There did not appear to be an operating system on it any more, so I got out the recovery disk and installed the operating system. Later I found out that the installation of the operating system is listed twice on the start-up screen, but someone also found out for me that the second one in the list is badly damaged. The new installation is the one that I am using.

Then, when it was up and running again, every time I went into the Internet quite a number of programs would "flutter" onto my desk top within seconds - programs that advertise holidays, dating agencies and worse. I went to www.spywarewarrior.com and they asked me to post a Hijack This log. I did that and they sent me a program to fix it. The program really silenced my computer, and afterwards it apparently ran normally again.

Astrid
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Get a new machine and install your software on it Apr 26, 2006

After all the old stuff only is a burden, only the TMs are important.
I would send the TMs zipped to my mail server and load them into the new machine.
Re-installing the system is not so slow as you think. One day will be enough.
Every day you lose because of the problems cost you money too.
Hope you find a solution.
Regards
Heinrich

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 11:18
English to Indonesian
+ ...
agree with reformat Apr 27, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

After all the old stuff only is a burden, only the TMs are important.
I would send the TMs zipped to my mail server and load them into the new machine.
Re-installing the system is not so slow as you think. One day will be enough.
Every day you lose because of the problems cost you money too.
Hope you find a solution.
Regards
Heinrich

if it is unbearable. backup your data. reformat your harddisk, then reinstall it.
as it is spyware, imnsho, it won't affect your data. but scanning them with antivirus would give more assurance.
reinstalling windows and essential programs, won't take long. should be less than a day.
programs that i consider as essential are os/windows, firewall, antivirus, safe browser (firefox, opera), antispyware (you won't need it if you use safe browser in the first place), mos, cat tool.

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 00:18
English
agree with reformat, 2 Apr 27, 2006

A security manager from Microsoft said at a conference a few weeks ago that it's important to realize that some times one cannot clean an infected Windows computer and has to reformat from scratch.

I have a used PowerBook for sale (I bought a new one). Interested?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Browser virus

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »