Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:07
German to English
+ ...
Browser virus Apr 28, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

By the way, I don't like Firefox, because it is not compatible with the Postbank software, and I like to be able to inspect my bank account easily.

The Postbank problem with Firefox is apparently only temporary, and there is a workaround:

www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/71732

HTH,
Marc

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Apr 29, 2006

I have established by now that my computer caught the Flood.F virus in January 2005 and left behind an entry in my registry. However, that malicious entry is not the cause of the browser having a mind of its own over the past few days.

Three times yesterday my ISP refused me access to my e-mails, flashing up a note on the screen to say that my user number for the e-mail program was XXX, but I was online as somebody different, namely User No. XXX. This means that someone has actually
... See more
I have established by now that my computer caught the Flood.F virus in January 2005 and left behind an entry in my registry. However, that malicious entry is not the cause of the browser having a mind of its own over the past few days.

Three times yesterday my ISP refused me access to my e-mails, flashing up a note on the screen to say that my user number for the e-mail program was XXX, but I was online as somebody different, namely User No. XXX. This means that someone has actually hacked into my computer, which is worrying, as some e-mails from clients are rather confidential.

I was going to re-format the hard disk this morning, but 25,000 urgent words arrived from a client yesterday evening, so I tried to find a quicker solution. I downloaded the program Browser Hijack Retaliator 4.1 from www.spyware warrior.com and ran it. Initially I thought it appeared to have fixed the problem, but now the problem is back, so I think someone has hacked into my computer again (despite the fact that I have Norton AntiVirus, firewall, TrojanHunter and all the rest). If so, I think it would be impractical to reformat the hard disk every day, if someone hacks into my computer fresh every day. I also do not need to buy a new computer, as that will not help.

Astrid

[Edited at 2006-04-29 11:00]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
New computer Apr 29, 2006

This means that someone has actually hacked into my computer, which is worrying, as some e-mails from clients are rather confidential.

Eek.

Buying a new computer because someone else has "taken ownership" of yours is a bit drastic. There is something to be said, though, for having a spare PC around for times like this. A spare PC, even an old box, perhaps the one you were using before you bought your current PC, is probably good enough for e-mails and web access. You could use it as an Internet PC, and disconnect your current PC from the net but continue to use it for all other purposes.

This would only be a temporary solution, of course, but it would buy you the time you need to sort out the problems on your "main" PC.

Marc

Xiangdong Zhuo
Xiangdong Zhuo
China
Local time: 10:07
English to Chinese
re-installing your system is required May 2, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I was going to re-format the hard disk this morning, but 25,000 urgent words arrived from a client yesterday evening, so I tried to find a quicker solution. I downloaded the program Browser Hijack Retaliator 4.1 from www.spyware warrior.com and ran it. Initially I thought it appeared to have fixed the problem, but now the problem is back, so I think someone has hacked into my computer again (despite the fact that I have Norton AntiVirus, firewall, TrojanHunter and all the rest). If so, I think it would be impractical to reformat the hard disk every day, if someone hacks into my computer fresh every day. I also do not need to buy a new computer, as that will not help.

Astrid

[Edited at 2006-04-29 11:00]

You will really need to re-format all your hard disks on the infected system. This is the best approach to block the hacks and other unexpected bothers. Since some of your personal information may have been exposed to the hacks, you may have to change your passwords on the Internet.

Another advice is that you will need only one set of anti-virus and/or anti-spyware. They may influence each other if you installed this kind of software too much.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem fixed May 2, 2006

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. The problem is fixed now. It is difficult to know how it was fixed in the end.

I deleted some weird-looking entries from my registry and must have deleted the right ones, because my computer has responded by running 4 or 5 times faster (at over 22,000 megabits per second, instead of 5,000).

I cleared up the problem with my ISP that their programme accused me of being another user, with a different number. They s
... See more
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. The problem is fixed now. It is difficult to know how it was fixed in the end.

I deleted some weird-looking entries from my registry and must have deleted the right ones, because my computer has responded by running 4 or 5 times faster (at over 22,000 megabits per second, instead of 5,000).

I cleared up the problem with my ISP that their programme accused me of being another user, with a different number. They said there were sometimes crossed lines, I suppose especially as I live in a rural area.

As for the browser behaviour, partly there is a problem with the browser of my ISP (an adaptation of IE) and partly I had downloaded IE7 Beta 2, but not installed it, and there was a kind of fight between the IE Version 5 of my ISP and this IE7 Beta 2 that I downloaded. However, the trick is to close my ISP's browser once I have opened their e-mail program, and open up the IE7. Then the browser behaves itself. So it was nobody like a hacker operating it, after all.

In addition, I downloaded some translation software just before the problems began, that appears to be incompatible with my computer. At first I could not open it, then it caused my computer to re-boot every time I tried. I forgot about that program due to all the problems. Then I saw it again, when the problems were solved, and the computer running nice and fast, and tried it again, and it re-booted my computer again - so I uninstalled it, and I am sure that is a help, too. Pity! It would have theoretically been a useful program according to its description.

There is only one thing left to do, which is to iron out a couple of problems with my ISP's software, by uninstalling and reinstalling it (anti-virus and firewall).

Astrid
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Browser virus

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »