Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I use Trados on an Apple PC with Parallels: it is a DISASTER for me. How is your experience?
Thread poster: Alex Dall'Asta
Alex Dall'Asta
Alex Dall'Asta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:56
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 17, 2022

I bought Trados about 2 months ago and have been using it on the Parallels platform with my new Apple Imac. At first it seemed to work fine, though it was a bit slow (and overall it looks like software from the 1990s, to be honest). Recently it has been breaking down practically on a daily basis. It has all sorts of issues. I am in contact with SDA technical support and they've tried to fix it, unsuccessfully so far.

Are there any other translators here who use Trados with an Apple
... See more
I bought Trados about 2 months ago and have been using it on the Parallels platform with my new Apple Imac. At first it seemed to work fine, though it was a bit slow (and overall it looks like software from the 1990s, to be honest). Recently it has been breaking down practically on a daily basis. It has all sorts of issues. I am in contact with SDA technical support and they've tried to fix it, unsuccessfully so far.

Are there any other translators here who use Trados with an Apple computer and have been having so many issues? Or is it simply Trados that doesn't work? My impression is that it is not great software, especially in comparison with Apple software, which is very reliable and stable.

I hope you can help me understand what to do. I'm thinking about asking for a refund (and they won't probably give it to me since I bought it last December).

Alex
Collapse

Tom in London

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Apple, Parallels and Trados Feb 17, 2022

Alex Dall'Asta wrote:

Are there any other translators here who use Trados with an Apple computer and have been having so many issues? Or is it simply Trados that doesn't work? My impression is that it is not great software, especially in comparison with Apple software, which is very reliable and stable.

I hope you can help me understand what to do. I'm thinking about asking for a refund (and they won't probably give it to me since I bought it last December).

Alex

I had this setup ever since I started using Studio and other CAT tools running on the Windoze platform.
I never had and do not have any problem running Studio 2021. I have lots of RAM and therefore no memory issues that could be one of the causes for Studio not running well. Hope you can get it sorted out.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:56
English to Russian
Have you seen system requirements before buying the product? Feb 17, 2022

It is only one line to read:
Trados Studio 2021 will work on Windows 7*, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows 11. We recommend Windows 10 or 11.
You buy Mac and install software that is knowingly not supported by Mac. It is software that is not great indeed, not y
... See more
Trados Studio 2021 will work on Windows 7*, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows 11. We recommend Windows 10 or 11.
You buy Mac and install software that is knowingly not supported by Mac. It is software that is not great indeed, not your decision.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 17:10 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
System requirements Feb 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

You buy Mac and install software that is knowingly not supported by Mac. It is software that is not great indeed, not your decision.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 17:10 GMT]

Hi Stepan,
whatever system requirements, Studio 2021 runs on my system, that is, iMac 27", Monterey, 72 GB RAM (overkill, yes I know), Parallels 17 for Mac, Windows 11 and I can assure you that it runs as well if not better than on a Windows PC. And I have no problem with MemoQ and DéjàVu, either. So IMHO the culprit is not the Mac, but rather some installation quirk on Windows. I'd advise for a complete uninstall (possibly using Revo Uninstaller) and a fresh reinstall.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 17:21 GMT]

Stepan Konev
RENE LOGEAIS

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Works "fine" Feb 17, 2022

Or rather, works the way Trados is supposed to work.
Only a handful of those bizarre, alpha-release-quality, mile-long error messages so far (which are par for the Trados course).

I haven't had the slightest problem that could be due do incompatibility anywhere.

MacBook Pro 2019 (32 GB RAM); Trados Studio 2021; MacOS 12.0.1; Parallells 16.5.1 with Windows 10 (19042.1466).

[Bearbeitet am 2022-02-17 18:41 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Ah Feb 17, 2022

Alex Dall'Asta wrote:

overall it looks like software from the 1990s

Yes, that's Trados. The "let's put 600 ugly icons in a toolbar" school of UI design.

Tom in London

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Just out of curiosity... Feb 17, 2022

Joakim Braun wrote:
The "let's put 600 ugly icons in a toolbar" school of UI design.
Can you show an example of perfect icons?

Cafetran? Beautiful, right?Cafetran
memoQ?memoq
Translation Workspace XLIFF Editor?TWS
Which layout do you think is great?

[Edited at 2022-02-17 19:05 GMT]

Tom in London
Robert Rietvelt

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
None Feb 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Which layout do you think is great?

None. They're all horrible.

Metin Demirel
Robert Rietvelt

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
I expected that but still... Feb 17, 2022

Joakim Braun wrote:
None. They're all horrible.
Which piece of software, in your opinion, is not ugly/from 90s?
Can you show (or name) an ideal CAT software that you can definitely say you like its UI.

[Edited at 2022-02-17 19:15 GMT]

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
MemoQ is better Feb 17, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Which piece of software, in your opinion, is not ugly?

From a graphic design perspective, MemoQ is somewhat less awful. But look at the mix of single-line and line-wrapped toolbar item text. And the icons of every one of these apps (and Trados) look like they were found on some clip-art CD of 1998.

UI design for applications with complex, multi-layered functionality isn't easy. But there are many interesting approaches out there for other sectors (video editing, animation, programming).

(No, unlike in those other sectors I've never seen any CAT software that looked attractive and fun to use.)

[Bearbeitet am 2022-02-17 19:30 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Hot air Feb 17, 2022

Joakim Braun wrote:
I've never seen any CAT software that looked attractive
Why not? Look at this masterpiece of coding art. A mere TMX viewer (no, not editor) that doesn't even show any source file details. But isn't it worthy of its price? So beautiful.XOterm

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Ah Feb 17, 2022

Yes, Stepan, you've found my little app. So?
My points remain and are by no means undercut by any deficiencies in my own UI design ability.

Thanks for the plug!

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Don't mention it Feb 17, 2022

I agree that neither Trados nor other tools are perfect or ideal. But when one criticizes something they should propose a better option, right? You often describe different CAT tools as "ugly" or "from 90s", but you always dodge the question which program is perfect in your opinion. Even with unrestricted list of candidates out of the translation field, you still fail to name one. The truth is out there... "in other sectors". That's it.

Alex Dall'Asta
Alex Dall'Asta  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I use Trados on an Apple PC... Feb 17, 2022

I only have 8 GB of RAM on my 2021 IMac. That might be too little to run Parallels + Trados, but to be honest it runs rather smoothly. I could increase the level to 16 GB

The problem has been the constant error messages I get, the fact that Language Weaver stopped working and after that also TMs stopped working, the fact that Trados support is available almost exclusively as a pay service (at around 180 euros a year, according the their website). After I threatened to ask for a refu
... See more
I only have 8 GB of RAM on my 2021 IMac. That might be too little to run Parallels + Trados, but to be honest it runs rather smoothly. I could increase the level to 16 GB

The problem has been the constant error messages I get, the fact that Language Weaver stopped working and after that also TMs stopped working, the fact that Trados support is available almost exclusively as a pay service (at around 180 euros a year, according the their website). After I threatened to ask for a refund, they let me talk to a technician, he worked on my PC remotely and sorted out some of the issues, but the day after Language Weaver stopped working again on a new translation I was doing. (the technician later told me L.W. had a bug - his exact words were "There is an issue with the Language Weaver plugin currently, reported to development team under CRQ-28049").

When I have a problem with my Apple devices I call support for free every day including Sunday, they immediately connect to my PC remotely and sort out the problem. And Apple almost never breaks down, so you hardly ever need support. It's a completely different experience. Apple is first class. With Trados I feel I'm working with software from the 1990s with typical Windows-related problems (Windows got stuck every now and then when I had Windows-based PCs in the past - I don't know if it still does, but it was pretty bad software until a few years ago).

Why have I bought it? Because translation agencies often require it and because I need software with TM to guarantee consistency in the use of vocabulary.

Many translators use MemoQ nowadays. Do you think it's a better choice? Do most agencies accept MemoQ?
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Footprint Feb 17, 2022

Alex Dall'Asta wrote:

Many translators use MemoQ nowadays. Do you think it's a better choice? Do most agencies accept MemoQ?

It has the same requirements as Trados and it also uses a lot of third-party components, which potentially contributes to troubles.

I’d advise you to test CafeTran, which is software in one peace, with only few third-party components.

You’ll need an open mind for its approach and to tweak the interface to get the Mac look.

Tom in London
Wolfgang Schoene

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I use Trados on an Apple PC with Parallels: it is a DISASTER for me. How is your experience?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »