Online MA in Translation with UWE. Has anyone done this course?
Thread poster: Ana Lozano
Ana Lozano
Ana Lozano  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 22, 2008

Hi to all!

I am considering enrolling on the course but before I commit my time and money (very important!) I would like to get an opinion from anyone who may have done this course. It appeals to me because it has a work placement element.

Any views, please let me know!!!

Thanks to all

JoanL
JoanL
French to English
A wonderful program, extremely demanding and time consuming. Jan 22, 2008

Hello!

I have my MA in translation from UWE. It is an extremely well rounded and challenging program, highly theoretical and linguistically based. While you have a "core" course in your language pair, you will also follow courses on translation theory and linguistics. All of the courses demand an enormous amount of writing and research in translation theory and linguistics, in addition to the translating that takes place in "Core."

For research purposes, you will have o
... See more
Hello!

I have my MA in translation from UWE. It is an extremely well rounded and challenging program, highly theoretical and linguistically based. While you have a "core" course in your language pair, you will also follow courses on translation theory and linguistics. All of the courses demand an enormous amount of writing and research in translation theory and linguistics, in addition to the translating that takes place in "Core."

For research purposes, you will have online access to UWE libraries as well as libraires throughout the world, through the "Athens" database system. Your student card also allows you entrance to your local university libraires. The UWE librarians are accustomed to working with distance learning students and make themselves available to photocopy book chapters and articles. They even arranged for book chapters from the British library to be sent to my home (I live in France).

Distant learning may be perceived as a cold and anonymous experience, but surprisingly this program requires more participation than usual "on site" learning. The discussion boards or forums that accompany each class allow the class to continue discussions days after "a class" takes place. Professors make themselves available, checking the boards, answering questions, and as a result one has the opportunity to deeply examine a subject. That means that a student following the course must keep up with the discussions on a frequent basis, even if s/he is not an active participant. Otherwise s/he will fall behind.

Of course all of this depends upon students' willingness to participate, but in my experience it only took a few enthusastic students to make for very lively and interesting discussions.

At the beginning of the school year UWE has an induction day that allows you to meet the administrative staff, professors, and fellow students. You can choose your courses after having met the professors who speak about their courses. They are an enthusiastic and united team, making themselves available throughout the school year. They do everything possible to make you feel as if you were right on campus with them.

Another advantage of the program is that if you decide you do not want to complete the Masters, their are certificates and post-graduate diplomas awarded. So nothing is lost (you'd have to check with them though to see on what basis these awards are given).

I hope this helps to answer your question. Do not hesitate to contact me by email if you have any other questions about the program, I would be happy to continue our discussion.

Best Wishes,
Joan
ps. (a very satisfied customer!)
Collapse

Ana Lozano
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
work after UWE Master Jan 22, 2008

Dear Joan,

Thank you so much for such a detailed and lengthy review of the course. This is just what I needed to egg me on! I shall start filling out those forms for next year! I did research a lot of the distance learning courses but they all seemed too focused on the theoretical aspects of translation. I am wondering though, is this a good way around the CIoL Dip Trans? Have you managed to increase your job prospects after the Master?

Regards,

Ana

Cristina Silva
Cristina Silva  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:43
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
UWE? Jan 22, 2008

Pardon my ignorance, guys, but what's UWE?
Curiously,
C

Ana Lozano
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UWE Jan 22, 2008

Hi Cristina,

This is the acronym for the University of West England, in Bristol, United Kingdom.

JoanL
JoanL
French to English
RE: work after masters Jan 23, 2008

Hello again!

I should tell you that the reason I chose UWE was precisely for the academic and theoretical side - I had taken preparatory courses for the IOL DIPtrans (I sat the first exam and passed) and was very disappointed, not enough "substance". I longed to study translation from an interdisciplinary perspective, and the emphasis on linguistics, socio-linguistics, and translation theory suited me perfectly.

This said, the program has a number of courses that allow
... See more
Hello again!

I should tell you that the reason I chose UWE was precisely for the academic and theoretical side - I had taken preparatory courses for the IOL DIPtrans (I sat the first exam and passed) and was very disappointed, not enough "substance". I longed to study translation from an interdisciplinary perspective, and the emphasis on linguistics, socio-linguistics, and translation theory suited me perfectly.

This said, the program has a number of courses that allow you to focus on more pragmatic issues (CAT, Corpus based translation, etc.) what they call a "practical approach" to translation studies. So you can build a program that fits your needs. However know that even the CAT course involves an academic element - beside proving proficency with the tool, you may have to reflect upon for example what are the advantages and disadvantages to CAT tools, how have they changed the discipline, etc.

Don't hesitate to contact them and be truthful about your goals, see what they have to say. As you mentioned, a Masters program is costly and timely, so you want to make sure you choose the right program for you.

In reference to the IOL, I believe once you have a MA you can become a member (I really have to look into it myself). I didn't follow up with the last two DIP exams because they are very expensive and I was in the middle of the Masters program.

As for job prospects, when "cold-calling" having some sort of certification, whatever it may be, generally does make a difference, but it doesn't necessarily have to be an MA. In my case, as I translate and proof a lot of academic research for publication, having a Masters does make a difference, because I deal with the academic world. I'm not sure it is so important for my other clients (most of my clients are word-of-mouth clients).

A Masters is a wonderful life experience, an exciting personal challenge, and it sweeps away all those cobwebs! You will be brought to think about translating and language in new ways and approaches, you will see your work from a different perspective. Completing such a program also boosts confidence in your abilities, how to work through a problem for example, and will enable you to better critique your own work.

Well, I've gone on for long enough!

Good luck with your choice,

Kind Regards
Joan
Collapse

Andreea Judele
Andreea Judele
Romania
Local time: 03:43
French to Romanian
+ ...
Side adress Jan 24, 2008

Hi!

I would want to follow this Master too, but can you please write the exact address? Because I don't seem to find it...

Thank you and have a nice wee-end beginning !

JoanL
JoanL
French to English
Here's the link: Jan 24, 2008

http://www.uwe.ac.uk/hlss/llas/mat/matindex.shtml

Best Wishes,
Joan

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Online MA in Translation with UWE. Has anyone done this course?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »