Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 23, 2008

Announcing new area of website - www.proz.com/videos

We are pleased to announce a new area at ProZ.com – the Video Download Center. The URL is http://www.proz.com/videos

We have a few recorded webinars available currently and intend to produce many more in the coming months. You should expect to
... See more

We are pleased to announce a new area at ProZ.com – the Video Download Center. The URL is http://www.proz.com/videos

We have a few recorded webinars available currently and intend to produce many more in the coming months. You should expect to see videos with helpful tips and information, along with webinars and content on CAT Tools and their usage.

If you have created or own video content that you would like to share with the rest of the ProZ.com community, or if you know anyone at a University or someone that is an expert in their respective field (in translation) that wishes to provide content please email [email protected] and let me know. We can schedule a webinar and record the session – so if you wish to create video content but don’t know how – all you would have to do is be available, on the computer and on VoiP – we will capture your screen and voice in a recording just like the webinars available now.

We will also have the ability for users to load their own videos in the coming months.

Please note that you will need an up to date Adobe flash plug in which can be downloaded here - http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
If you encounter any issues with video playback please submit a support ticket at www.proz.com/support thank you.

We hope that you find interacting with this contact both valuable and enjoyable. We look forward to bringing you more useful content.

Regards,

Drew
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 03:43
English to Thai
+ ...
A mentor system? Dec 23, 2008

Thank.
I have an idea that some webinar time is too short to answer questions from participants or viewers. I suggest a mentor system to follow up after presenting the video. For example, sum up FAQ for each video show of the webinar.

Soonthon L.

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:43
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wonderful idea Dec 23, 2008

Hi Drew!

This is a great idea, thank you!
Maybe you can post a short explanation on the contents of the video, too.

Merry Christmas to all the staff.
Marina

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wow Dec 23, 2008

Sounds promising!

Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina
Ma.Elena Carrión de Medina  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 15:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great!! Dec 23, 2008

Thank you!

I just checked at the video section and I think this will be very useful for us (translators)..

Hopefully you can add some more to the list, and I wish you could add something related to the art of translation (like translation techniques, quality assurance, or interpreting, etc).. that would be useful as well.

Season Greetings,
Elena

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Congrats, Drew! Dec 23, 2008

This is really a superb feature!

The over-the-web production samples I saw there have some expected flops & mishaps, and maybe on the mid-term you folks at Proz won't have time (including time-zone differences) to do it.

So there are some additional possibilities...

If someone can develop their stuff on a narrated PowerPoint presentation, you could simply post-convert that into a video.

No, I won't force much-better-but-deceased-Astound present
... See more
This is really a superb feature!

The over-the-web production samples I saw there have some expected flops & mishaps, and maybe on the mid-term you folks at Proz won't have time (including time-zone differences) to do it.

So there are some additional possibilities...

If someone can develop their stuff on a narrated PowerPoint presentation, you could simply post-convert that into a video.

No, I won't force much-better-but-deceased-Astound presentations down your throat, because this program generates AVIs directly. So for video-producing Prozians like me, some guidance on the video specs you need would be welcome.

One smart move would be to link (some of) these videos with the Proz online training courses, possibly the other way around. "Students" could get the knowledge from the online videos, and later get a real-time connection with the author/instructor for Q&A, specific guidance, etc.

Great job!
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I was waiting on a reply like your Jose Dec 23, 2008

So glad you like the Video Center Jose. And yes we definitely intend to link video content and trainings in a meaningful way - small teaser videos, snippets of what you can expect to learn and then links to the training. I also hope to have more Webinars on CAT Tools and also on topics of interest to the community from experts in the field (they will be a blend of free and for a fee Webinars)

These first videos were converted from a Webinar and like you mention, there is some elem
... See more
So glad you like the Video Center Jose. And yes we definitely intend to link video content and trainings in a meaningful way - small teaser videos, snippets of what you can expect to learn and then links to the training. I also hope to have more Webinars on CAT Tools and also on topics of interest to the community from experts in the field (they will be a blend of free and for a fee Webinars)

These first videos were converted from a Webinar and like you mention, there is some elements that are less than desired in this process and we are actively seeking partners and users like yourself to supply us with more content.

To that end - here are the file size restrictions and formats we can accept at this time -

Maximum file size is 300 MB. Supported file types are
.mov, .avi, .flv, .mpeg, .wmv, .mpg, .mp4, .3gp, .dv, .qt, .asf, .mp3, .wav, .wma, .qcelp, .amr-nb, .movieclip, .mod, .3g2.

We will have an upload utility for users like yourself to add your own video content in the not too distant future - in the meantime please send all directly to me at [email protected] and include a title, and brief description.

Thanks Jose!

Drew
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I need more "blunt" specs Dec 24, 2008

Drew,

I got used to produce standard DVDs, 720x480 pixels, 29.97 fps, stereo... the gigabytes galore. I pack fully-interactive slide presentations into them, so PowerPoint flops will eventually be ancient stuff. However I'm quite ignorant about online video, guess FLV is the standard.

My working fornat is AVI, but I can convert that into almost any digital format. What would be the most convenient size in pixels, fps, and audio format? Tips on preferred Codecs would be
... See more
Drew,

I got used to produce standard DVDs, 720x480 pixels, 29.97 fps, stereo... the gigabytes galore. I pack fully-interactive slide presentations into them, so PowerPoint flops will eventually be ancient stuff. However I'm quite ignorant about online video, guess FLV is the standard.

My working fornat is AVI, but I can convert that into almost any digital format. What would be the most convenient size in pixels, fps, and audio format? Tips on preferred Codecs would be welcome too.

Thanks.
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Asking for more information Jan 8, 2009

You can use AVI formats - ** Maximum file size is 300 MB. Supported file types are .mov, .avi, .flv, .mpeg, .wmv, .mpg, .mp4, .3gp, .dv, .qt, .asf, .mp3, .wav, .wma, .qcelp, .amr-nb, .movieclip, .mod, .3g2

I dont have the answer for screen resolution, pixels, fps or audio format - I am asking for any details on that for you.

Drew

Drew MacFadyen
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blunt Specs Jan 8, 2009

Here are the specifics i think you need

VIDEO_WIDTH=450
VIDEO_HEIGHT=338
VIDEO_FPS=25.000
VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
AUDIO_BITRATE=128000
AUDIO_SAMPLERATE=44100

(29.97 will work fine as well)

We can accept most any video/audio formatting in the AVI container

something like MS MP4v3 video with MPEG3 Layer 1 audio should work fine

Regards,

Drew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »