Ditte Duclert
Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:30
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 10, 2012

I often use old threads about any number of things related to translating and technical issues, and I often want to thank the member who gave a suggestion that really helped me. I suppose I could just revive the thread with a thank you, but I often think that a thank you button would be great to show appreciation of the fact that the person(s) took time to answer a question.

Just a thought.

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Another way of giving thanks? Mar 10, 2012

I agree with your thoughts, Ditte, but it's hard to see how this could be implemented meaningfully - often the final answer in a thread is a result of collaboration by several contributors, so who would you thank then?

I think the best thing to do is to assume that any problem you run up against that you can't find an answer for on the site is a potential problem for other people too. So for instance when I occasionally have technical issues that I can't fix, I post about them here
... See more
I agree with your thoughts, Ditte, but it's hard to see how this could be implemented meaningfully - often the final answer in a thread is a result of collaboration by several contributors, so who would you thank then?

I think the best thing to do is to assume that any problem you run up against that you can't find an answer for on the site is a potential problem for other people too. So for instance when I occasionally have technical issues that I can't fix, I post about them here so that when they are resolved the answer is there for others to use if/when they get stuck with the same thing.

That way I'm thanking my peers indirectly by providing them with a potential source of help.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not so sure Mar 10, 2012

Ditte Duclert wrote:

I ... often think that a thank you button would be great to show appreciation of the fact that the person(s) took time to answer a question.

Just a thought.

This seems like a nice idea, put forward with the best of intentions, although I do have my reservations.

If it meant that every time sometimes "thanked" me another email was sent to my already bulging proz-related mailbox, I'd find it more of a nuisance than a plus. I already receive more notifications than I have time to deal with as it is. In fact, this is why I have a whole email address dedicated to proz queries and other activities - I want to keep them apart from my other, family-related or "business" email accounts, in order to keep the clutter down to a minimum.

But hey, after all, it's the thought that counts!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
All chipping in Mar 10, 2012

JaneD wrote:

I think the best thing to do is to assume that any problem you run up against that you can't find an answer for on the site is a potential problem for other people too. So for instance when I occasionally have technical issues that I can't fix, I post about them here so that when they are resolved the answer is there for others to use if/when they get stuck with the same thing.

That way I'm thanking my peers indirectly by providing them with a potential source of help.

A very good point; solutions from kudoz queries are often a group outcome arrived at by team effort rather than a lone bright spark.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most helpful answer/post/review Mar 12, 2012

Good suggestion. An alternative might be something similar to a "thumbs up" or facebook "like" type rating system that would then allow those forum posts to be more easily discovered (converted to sticky perhaps) or flagged as "most helpful answer" or "most helpful post"

Regards,

Drew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thank you button

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »