Acceptable mileage costs for interpreting assignment in UK?
Inițiatorul discuției: august28
august28
august28  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:39
din italiană în engleză
+ ...
Mar 26, 2004

I've just completed my first interpreting assignment today. I agreed the fee per hour beforehand but although travel expenses will be inlcuded I have no idea what the going rate per mile should be.
Do I go with the government recommended £0.32 per mile or do I ask the agency what they pay?
I'd be grateful for some professional opinions.
thanks

Nenija Hasanic
Nenija Hasanic
Bosnia şi Herţegovina
Local time: 00:39
din engleză în bosniacă
+ ...
Actual costs Mar 26, 2004

Been there once and discussed this issue with my client sveral times before accepting the assignment. I've found out that covering my actual mileage cost made us both happy, since my (daily in this case) fee was covering everything else. Clients do not like to think that you are making some extra money on travel costs!)

Best regards,

Nenija Hasanic

Camaxilo
Camaxilo  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:39
din engleză în portugheză
+ ...
Mileage costs Mar 27, 2004

Hi,

In the US a standard practice is to charge whatever Uncle Sam (US Governement) is charging. Right now is .37 US cents per mile. I guess you could do the same thing over there. Find out how much your government is paying for each mile to the employees when they use their own vehicle for gov. work. I hope this helps.

Cheers!

[Edited at 2004-03-27 01:35]

Ramesh Madhavan
Ramesh Madhavan  Identity Verified

Local time: 04:09
engleză
+ ...
Milage cost in the UK Mar 27, 2004

You are going to laugh now! It was the British who introduced the FPS (Foot-Pound-Second) unit of measurement in the world! THEY have changed to the Metric System(Kilo-meter-Gram-Second)of measurement. The old system exists only in some parts of the world, including the US. So, Gasolene or Petrol or Diesel is sold by the LITRE now in the UK, not by the Gallons. I think the conversion rate is 4.4 Litres to a Gallon. Take care.

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
din georgiană în engleză
+ ...
Actual cost needs to include wear & tear on the vehicle, and maintenance costs, hence a mileage rate Mar 27, 2004

rather than just fuel costs, etc, is sensible

Nenija Hasanic wrote:

Been there once and discussed this issue with my client sveral times before accepting the assignment. I've found out that covering my actual mileage cost made us both happy, since my (daily in this case) fee was covering everything else. Clients do not like to think that you are making some extra money on travel costs!)

Best regards,

Nenija Hasanic

The rate suggested seems reasonable for the UK, although different bodies state different allowances. I guess it partly comes down to what the total amount would be, and whether it fits into the client's budget, as well what you need to at least cover full costs (taking everything into account). I would discuss it with them sensibly (without only leaving it to them to say what they pay, and with attaining a reasonable rate firmly in mind).
(And ideally include details of travel expenses in future agreements.)

[Edited at 2004-03-27 12:31]

august28
august28  Identity Verified
din italiană în engleză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
mileage costs Mar 27, 2004

Thanks for all your comments. Can anyone in the UK tell me what they charge though?

trad500
trad500
din engleză în franceză
25p Mar 27, 2004

I had an interpreting assignment a few months ago.
The agency suggested to charge between 20-30p per mile. I went for 25p.
I thought it was reasonable...

Monika Sojka
Monika Sojka  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Membru (2003)
din engleză în poloneză
+ ...
per hour Jun 28, 2004

All the agencies that I have worked for so far have asked me to charge per hour for travel time:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acceptable mileage costs for interpreting assignment in UK?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »