Software for work with 2 monitors?
Thread poster: Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:33
English to Russian
Feb 15, 2007

I have been using 2 comps joined in a LAN for quite some time. But after reading a thread about using 2 monitors with one processor I decided to try that. As apparently it will give me more space and result in fewer loose wires on my desk. What I found a bit inconvenient is that I can open a separate file in the other screen minimum in 3 steps. I searched the Web and found no commercial software which would provide identical taskbars in both screens working separately (e.g. allowing you open an... See more
I have been using 2 comps joined in a LAN for quite some time. But after reading a thread about using 2 monitors with one processor I decided to try that. As apparently it will give me more space and result in fewer loose wires on my desk. What I found a bit inconvenient is that I can open a separate file in the other screen minimum in 3 steps. I searched the Web and found no commercial software which would provide identical taskbars in both screens working separately (e.g. allowing you open any file from any directory on any of your HDs). However, I found a freeware called "Oscar's Multimonitor taskbar" (here's the link http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm )
Does anyone know commercial proven software for work with 2 monitors using which you will have the same identical menus in the 2nd screen but will be able to open different files? Has anyone used the above freeware and what you can tell about it, if you have? Frankly speaking I would rather pay money and use a proven tool than download an unknown .exe file.
Thanks in advance.

Alex

[Edited at 2007-02-15 07:12]

[Edited at 2007-02-15 07:13]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 17:33
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My experience Feb 15, 2007

Does anyone know commercial proven software for work with 2 monitors using which you will have the same identical menus in the 2nd screen but will be able to open different files?

The only way I saw two monitors connected to a single system (and I've seen a lot so far), was using a graphic card with two connectors. The software, you already got, it's the operating system (windows, Linux).

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:33
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not easy, I am afraid Feb 15, 2007

I am not aware of the software which would work as you describe.

When you use two monitors the system (i.e. Windows) treats them together as a single, large desktop. Therefore you will have always only one Start button, one system tray etc. You can have two different taskbars, but they work only with windows which are already opened, so you will not be able to "open some files on one monitor, some other files on another".

However, I do not find it such a big problem, as
... See more
I am not aware of the software which would work as you describe.

When you use two monitors the system (i.e. Windows) treats them together as a single, large desktop. Therefore you will have always only one Start button, one system tray etc. You can have two different taskbars, but they work only with windows which are already opened, so you will not be able to "open some files on one monitor, some other files on another".

However, I do not find it such a big problem, as you can send windows from one display to another with a single shortcut key (no dragging). You might also specify that a selected application (e.g. Word, or Trados) opens always on a specified monitor. However, as far as I know, you cannot do that on file basis.

One program which I use and which is generally recommended is UltraMon
http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

It has the features I describe and several more...
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jabberwock Feb 15, 2007

I found that UltraMon solves my problem. I apologize if I did not made myself quite clear at the beginning. Actualy I had rather a vague idea about the whole thing. What I wanted was a taskbar allowing either moving files from one window to the other or opening different files in each. My idea was having identical taskbars in both windows allowing to open any file in the window where the cursor was (active window). Apparently that does not work. But the concept used in UltraMon of a taskbar all... See more
I found that UltraMon solves my problem. I apologize if I did not made myself quite clear at the beginning. Actualy I had rather a vague idea about the whole thing. What I wanted was a taskbar allowing either moving files from one window to the other or opening different files in each. My idea was having identical taskbars in both windows allowing to open any file in the window where the cursor was (active window). Apparently that does not work. But the concept used in UltraMon of a taskbar allowing movement of a file from one window to the next by clicking on the arrow in the taskbar is just as good as having two taskbars. I also like the hot keys functionality allowing to do that using your own key combination.

But I am still curios about the freeware I mentioned in my first post and will try that on my old standby computer.
Thanks again,

Alex

[Edited at 2007-02-15 13:37]
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Free software for work with 2 monitiors Feb 17, 2007

I have tested Oscar's Multimonitor taskbar finally. It is very much similar to UltraMon in operation and efficiency and even the look. The only difference is that it is free.
Here's the link http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software for work with 2 monitors?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »