How to extract text for MAC QuarkXPress files? How to open on PC?
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:16
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oct 31, 2003

Hello!

I have some files to translate with Quark for MAC. Is it possible to extract the text on MAC in some rtf or similar format to work with it on PC? I have not found any possibility of exporting text/stories in Quark on MAC.
The second question is, when I try to open these files on PC I can do this, but I get two error messages: the first one, stating, that I miss fonts, what does not make any problem, but the second states, I miss some profiles, and afterwards I cannot se
... See more
Hello!

I have some files to translate with Quark for MAC. Is it possible to extract the text on MAC in some rtf or similar format to work with it on PC? I have not found any possibility of exporting text/stories in Quark on MAC.
The second question is, when I try to open these files on PC I can do this, but I get two error messages: the first one, stating, that I miss fonts, what does not make any problem, but the second states, I miss some profiles, and afterwards I cannot see anything form my file (but the file seems to be open). These files have no extensions, but each one has a companion with the extension rsrc. Is there any possibility to open these files on PC?

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:16
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Quark Oct 31, 2003

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Hello!

I have some files to translate with Quark for MAC. Is it possible to extract the text on MAC in some rtf or similar format to work with it on PC?
Jerzy

If you have QuarkXPress for PC Windows, you won't have any problems.

Regards

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Fonts problems by conversion from pc Oct 31, 2003

Hello,

you will have problems with the character coding, if you convert the mac file with Quark/Windows.

We use XGate from Star for the vonversion. XGate provides conversion tables for the ANSI2MAC conversion for the polish character coding on MAC.

Hans

SysfilterMaker
SysfilterMaker
Germany
Add the .QXD extensions in Windows Oct 31, 2003

Hi Jerzy,

Which QXP version do you use? Which version does your client use?

If you have installed the right QXP version on PC normally you should be able to open the files without problems (add the .QXD extensions in Windows).

For export the text you could use Trados Story Collector (from version 5.5 FL -or 5.0?) to convert them to qsc files. Then convert the files to rtf. See -->http://www.ecm-e.de/serv_downloads.htm (qsc2rtf -> Free Tool, you ne
... See more
Hi Jerzy,

Which QXP version do you use? Which version does your client use?

If you have installed the right QXP version on PC normally you should be able to open the files without problems (add the .QXD extensions in Windows).

For export the text you could use Trados Story Collector (from version 5.5 FL -or 5.0?) to convert them to qsc files. Then convert the files to rtf. See -->http://www.ecm-e.de/serv_downloads.htm (qsc2rtf -> Free Tool, you need Trados, I programmed it for Trados TE 5.5 may be it works with the Freelance Edition)

2. --> ??

HTH

Regards

Wilhelm Polmann
www.ecm-e.de

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Hello!

The second question is, when I try to open these files on PC I can do this, but I get two error messages: the first one, stating, that I miss fonts, what does not make any problem, but the second states, I miss some profiles, and afterwards I cannot see anything form my file (but the file seems to be open). These files have no extensions, but each one has a companion with the extension rsrc. Is there any possibility to open these files on PC?

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:16
English to German
+ ...
Hallo Jerzy Nov 1, 2003

Ich hab's gerade ausprobiert. Quark-Datei öffnen, dann Text auswählen und unter Ablage "Text sichern..." auswählen und bei Format "Microsoft Word" auswählen. Mac-Dateien haben keine extension. Einfach ".doc" an den Dateinamen anhängen und dann auf deinen PC laden. So müsstest du dann den Text auf deinem PC in Word öffnen können. Eventuell vorher auf dem Mac noch die Schrift ändern.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
CopyFlow extension is the solution Nov 1, 2003

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You can use CopyFlow extension. This extension can import/export text. Use it to export text boxes to tagged text file. This is the Mac part.

Then you can use PC - use ITP Filter Pack to prepare the file to be translated using Trados (file is converted to RTF). Once the file is translated you can convert it back to text format (ITP Filter Pack again).

And again Mac part. You can import translated text file back to Quark. Change the fonts and the layout.

That's all

Unfortunately CopyFlow/MAC price is $395-$495. Check www.napsys.com for details.

HTH,
Wojtek Froelich

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My workaround for this case Nov 1, 2003

Thank you all for your advices.
Sorry, I wasn´t precise enough. Here are the details: I´m using QuarkXPress 5.0 Passport both on PC and MAC. The files are Quark 4.0 for MAC and the filenames have no extension. This alone is not a problem, as I can add the necessary extension or select"Open all file types" in Quark. So I was able to open that files on PC, but due to missing profiles I could not see anything. I do not have these profiles in MAC too, but fortunately I could see the text. I
... See more
Thank you all for your advices.
Sorry, I wasn´t precise enough. Here are the details: I´m using QuarkXPress 5.0 Passport both on PC and MAC. The files are Quark 4.0 for MAC and the filenames have no extension. This alone is not a problem, as I can add the necessary extension or select"Open all file types" in Quark. So I was able to open that files on PC, but due to missing profiles I could not see anything. I do not have these profiles in MAC too, but fortunately I could see the text. I was only afraid I must work with Quark on MAC, what would be a small deasaster - this is an iMac with 15" screen, so you can imagine how working with Quark would be.
But in the meantime I worked a bit on that case and come to the following solution:
I´m able to open the files in PC-Quark with replacing the missing profiles with standard profles. Then I export the text with Trados story collector, translate it, import it back - all on my PC. Then I take the Quark files and format them on MAC. I thikn, this is the easiest solution for this case, as I have all necessary components to do so.
Btw. Trados story collector works only on PC, not on MAC.

Once again thanks for all advices
Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
MAC to PC font conversion Nov 25, 2003

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Hello!

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards
Jerzy
There is an interesting tool MAC/PC Font Converter, it is about 500 Kb. It delivers good results. Bandis

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Try turning off color management Nov 25, 2003

The document must have been set for color management.
Try turning off color management (from Edit/Preferences).
rsrc is a resource extension for application respources, I don't think it has anything to do with your file... unless it is for an extension that has been used and is needed in the QXP file. In which case check with your client to see what extension it is.
Also, check what version of QXP has been used; you may have problems if the file was done with QXP 6 on the mac a
... See more
The document must have been set for color management.
Try turning off color management (from Edit/Preferences).
rsrc is a resource extension for application respources, I don't think it has anything to do with your file... unless it is for an extension that has been used and is needed in the QXP file. In which case check with your client to see what extension it is.
Also, check what version of QXP has been used; you may have problems if the file was done with QXP 6 on the mac and you are using an earlier version on the PC.
HtH,
Roberta
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Once again thanks to you all Nov 25, 2003

Opening Quark for MAC on PC makes no problem. Then one can use Trados Story Collector. So far OK.
The only real "problem" is the font coding - but if I get more of such files I will simply write a macro for Word to convert the characters.
Until now I use Search and replace, and it works without any problem.

Kind regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to extract text for MAC QuarkXPress files? How to open on PC?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »