Joomla wrapper: how can I wrap my availability into my site?
Thread poster: Kay Barbara
Kay Barbara
Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:23
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 26, 2009

Hello everyone,

I am currently creating my own website using Joomla 1.5.9 Content Management Software. I want to add a section "availability" to my site where my ProZ calendar will be displayed. So I created a wrapper module for this and specified the URL which appears in my browser when I view my calendar.
The problem is: when viewing my own website (still offline via //localhost/joomla) and go to the availability section, the browser's (firefox) address line changes to the
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am currently creating my own website using Joomla 1.5.9 Content Management Software. I want to add a section "availability" to my site where my ProZ calendar will be displayed. So I created a wrapper module for this and specified the URL which appears in my browser when I view my calendar.
The problem is: when viewing my own website (still offline via //localhost/joomla) and go to the availability section, the browser's (firefox) address line changes to the calendar URL (i.e. I am no longer on my website but on proz). The same happens when I wrap my profile page (http://www.proz.com/translator/616576). However, it works just fine when I wrap www.proz.com, it appears as an iframe within my own website.

Has anyone got a clue what I am missing? Please do ask if I have not provided enough information (I am a web design newbie). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I have tried wrapper and regular iframe as well Jul 26, 2009

with the same result. It must be caused by some "mysterious" settings of Proz.com's server.

Perhaps site's staff could help us here

Kay Barbara
Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Phew... Jul 26, 2009

now I am (sort of) relieved that it's not my fault

Thank you very much for your quick reply, Stanislaw!
It really is a shame that we can't use this feature in this way. I think I will try calling Jared to this thread and/or submit a support ticket so someone can (hopefully) sort this out.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It may be a good idea Jul 26, 2009

showing clients ones availability is definitely very useful feature but synchronization of 2 or three calendars is a real nuisance! It would be so much easier to set just one calendar and display it wherever it is required.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Kay Barbara
Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fortunately... Jul 27, 2009

I only have two calendars to deal with and the proZ one is the "less critical" of them. It just occurred to me that it might be nice for potential clients to see this feature on my website. I have submitted a support ticket yesterday, so I reckon we will be hearing from support/Jared sometime today...

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Useful but not recommended Jul 27, 2009

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

showing clients ones availability is definitely very useful feature but synchronization of 2 or three calendars is a real nuisance! It would be so much easier to set just one calendar and display it wherever it is required.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

While it may be useful from a technical point of view, it is not a good idea from a marketing point of view, and doing this in public is even worse. If you are interested in details, just drop me an email.

But, of course, it's up to you how you run your business.

Best, Aniello

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Added to list of suggestions for site improvement Jul 27, 2009

Hi all,

Kay Barbara, Dipl.-Übersetzer wrote:

The problem is: when viewing my own website (still offline via //localhost/joomla) and go to the availability section, the browser's (firefox) address line changes to the calendar URL (i.e. I am no longer on my website but on proz). The same happens when I wrap my profile page (http://www.proz.com/translator/616576). However, it works just fine when I wrap www.proz.com, it appears as an iframe within my own website.

Please note that while ProZ.com home page wrapping is possible, profile wrapping and availability calendar wrapping are not.

Just let me add this to our list of ideas and suggestions for site improvement to be evaluated for possible future implementation.

I will let you know if any of these become available.

Regards,

Lucia

Kay Barbara
Kay Barbara
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, awaiting results Jul 27, 2009

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Hi all,

Kay Barbara, Dipl.-Übersetzer wrote:

Please note that while ProZ.com home page wrapping is possible, profile wrapping and availability calendar wrapping are not.

Just let me add this to our list of ideas and suggestions for site improvement to be evaluated for possible future implementation.

I will let you know if any of these become available.

Regards,

Lucia

Thank you for your quick reply and for looking into this.
If it is not a security issue, I would suggest making all elements in users' profiles wrappable. I probably won't publish my calendar after all, but I am considering wrapping my WWA or Kudoz... well let's see how long the implementation takes (in case it really happens).

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:23
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
In light of recent events, it may not be such a good idea Jul 28, 2009

I think this issue should be evaluated not only in the strict sense of security, but also from the point of data privacy. In light of some recent events, where profile information was systematically stolen and misused (presented at another site without the knowledge and permission of the profile own... See more
I think this issue should be evaluated not only in the strict sense of security, but also from the point of data privacy. In light of some recent events, where profile information was systematically stolen and misused (presented at another site without the knowledge and permission of the profile owner, see: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/140369-illegal_use_of_data_from_prozcom_profile.html ) I hope the site techies are and will be careful about applying any technology that would make it easier for fraudsters to extract information (even if it is public) and present it somewhere else without noting the source.

Just my 2 cents
Katalin

[Edited at 2009-07-28 00:48 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Joomla wrapper: how can I wrap my availability into my site?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »