Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:30
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 12, 2009

Hi, colleagues.

I was working this morning and saved several times my file, bu I can't find it now where it's supposed to be.

Do you know any tip to find it? I've searched the file and the search process can not find it neither! This is the firts time in my whole life I suffer this bizarre problem!

Thank you very much.

===================================================

Update: It was in a temporal section...
See more
Hi, colleagues.

I was working this morning and saved several times my file, bu I can't find it now where it's supposed to be.

Do you know any tip to find it? I've searched the file and the search process can not find it neither! This is the firts time in my whole life I suffer this bizarre problem!

Thank you very much.

===================================================

Update: It was in a temporal section I sweated!

[Edited at 2009-05-12 01:49 GMT]
Collapse

Kerati Kuaimongkol
Kerati Kuaimongkol  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:30
Member (2007)
English to Thai
You can use open recent command. May 12, 2009

Open the program and go to file-open recent.

Most program will have this feature,

Good luck

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:30
English to French
+ ...
Search May 12, 2009

Hello,

You can do a search with windows to locate the file.

Regards,

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:30
English to Arabic
+ ...
Just to confirm: You found it May 12, 2009

I think your added note isn't as clear as you'd wanted it to be, Yaotl, hence the two replies you got.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:30
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clear May 12, 2009

Nesrin: Oh, I see my dear, Shuukran jaziilan

Mohamed: Yes, I did a search but couldn't find it. It was a nightmare because I was translating more than 9 hours on it!

Kerati: Yes, programs have this most-recent files feature but it was neither there!

I will tell you what happened:

I received two files, containing the same text, one is a PDF and the other is DOC file. Both of th
... See more
Nesrin: Oh, I see my dear, Shuukran jaziilan

Mohamed: Yes, I did a search but couldn't find it. It was a nightmare because I was translating more than 9 hours on it!

Kerati: Yes, programs have this most-recent files feature but it was neither there!

I will tell you what happened:

I received two files, containing the same text, one is a PDF and the other is DOC file. Both of them were into a zip folder, so I saved them in my directory. Just call it the folder TEMP A. Then, I opened the PDF original version to see the original translation and I started working on the DOC file. Yes, I saved several times the file as it was being changed from one language to other. I think the mistake was no to save it OUTSIDE of this zip file. When I wanted to resumen the translation, I couldn't find it because the system saved it in a temporal files section (C:/Users/My_name/App_Data/Temp/etc...).

Thereafter, I remembered files do not delete themselves
and they had to be in a given directory. I just reviewed every single directory inside this temporal files section. When I found a folder holding the same name of my original folder (TEMP A), I opened and there it was!!!

This temporal files section is hidden most of the times, so the whole path must be written to acceess it properly.
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Windows Explorer May 12, 2009

Yaotl,

If this happens again, there is a faster solution.

Open Windows Explorer-->Tools-->Options-->View, and click the button that makes hidden files visible.

Then you can use search tool, searching for the file name that you used when saving the file, and it will find it for you.

As you can tell, I've done the same as you did several times!!

Best,
Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »