Alexandra Frolova
Alexandra Frolova  Identity Verified
Oroszországi Föderáció
Local time: 16:21
angol - orosz
+ ...
Jan 14, 2015

Hello everybody!

I do need some help because I have to send the project today...

I'm using DJV X3 - a free version. Everything was quite fine until today. I started exporting an ongoing project and it exported only 8 pages! ( I decided to check codes and deleted some of them (in the source text - Yeah, now I know that I shouldn't have done that)

Can I do something now exсept copypasting the translated 4000 segments into Word-file? ((

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:21
Tag (2006 óta)
francia - angol
+ ...
Workaround Jan 14, 2015

Hi Alexandra

As explained on another thread in this forum yesterday, here is a workaround (works in DVX2 anyway):

- create a new TM and attach it to your project
- send the file you have worked on to this new, empty TM
- re-import the source document (hoping you still have an intact version)
- pretranslate from the new TM; ctrl+S should find any segments the pretranslation doesn't quite easily.

Hope that helps.

Alexandra Frolova
Oroszországi Föderáció
angol - orosz
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thanks... Jan 14, 2015

Thank you for your help... Unfortunately, my program encountered some problem and all the translation is gone now (:::: I don't know what to say to my boss (((

No tags, no worries...

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
Franciaország
Atril Support Jan 14, 2015

Alexandra,

Please send the project and the source file to [email protected], we will be happy to help you.
There is no way the translations were erased without human intervention - they're stored in real time in an access database. Did you reimport the document? Or did you clear the segments?
Did you store your work in a translation memory?

Please let us know.

Kind regards,
Atril Team<
... See more
Alexandra,

Please send the project and the source file to [email protected], we will be happy to help you.
There is no way the translations were erased without human intervention - they're stored in real time in an access database. Did you reimport the document? Or did you clear the segments?
Did you store your work in a translation memory?

Please let us know.

Kind regards,
Atril Team

[Edited at 2015-01-14 12:04 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandra Frolova
Oroszországi Föderáció
angol - orosz
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
I imported ((( Jan 14, 2015

Yes, now I remember that I pressed "Import" on the text file added to my project ((( I thought it would just bring back the English version and not erase the translation.. I've just written to your mail.

Thank you for answering!

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Törökország
angol - török
+ ...
perhaps a warning required Jan 14, 2015

Alexandra Amir wrote:

Yes, now I remember that I pressed "Import" on the text file added to my project ((( I thought it would just bring back the English version and not erase the translation.

As an experienced DVX user I would never (re)import files at that stage (reimport can be used at the initial stage of project creation but this off-topic now).

However, a software should be user-proof against such risks. There should be a warning or caution, e.g. this operation will delete all existing translations.

Well but now checked it and DVX already warns us:

The file 'xxxxxxxxxxxx' has already been imported.

Importing the file again will overwrite any translations you may have previously entered into it. Do you still want to import the file.

So, we need more action from DVX. Perhaps a big, yellow warning symbol is required.

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
Franciaország
There is a warning message, indeed. Jan 14, 2015

Dear Alexandra,

If you clicked on « Import » and ignored the warning message “Importing the file again will overwrite any translations…”, then I’m afraid it’s lost.
Were you using an translation memory by any chance?

Regards,
Etienne

Alexandra Frolova
Oroszországi Föderáció
angol - orosz
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Or red...and a kick from the screen.. Jan 14, 2015

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Alexandra Amir wrote:

Yes, now I remember that I pressed "Import" on the text file added to my project ((( I thought it would just bring back the English version and not erase the translation.

As an experienced DVX user I would never (re)import files at that stage (reimport can be used at the initial stage of project creation but this off-topic now).

However, a software should be user-proof against such risks. There should be a warning or caution, e.g. this operation will delete all existing translations.

Well but now checked it and DVX already warns us:

The file 'xxxxxxxxxxxx' has already been imported.

Importing the file again will overwrite any translations you may have previously entered into it. Do you still want to import the file.

So, we need more action from DVX. Perhaps a big, yellow warning symbol is required.

There was a warning but I was distracted and didn't read it carefully. Well, now I will read twice everything it shows.. ((

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Tag (2006 óta)
francia - angol
+ ...
Afraid of losing a big project? Jan 14, 2015

I've never lost a DVX project yet, and I've translated millions of words over the course of a decade using it.

A couple of habits give me peace of mind:

- splitting up the project and importing it in a series of separate documents (if the worst happens, you have lost some not all)
- sending the project so far to a clean, new TM if it's really big or if I encounter an export issue
- backing up all files (including DVX projects) onto a separate device at least
... See more
I've never lost a DVX project yet, and I've translated millions of words over the course of a decade using it.

A couple of habits give me peace of mind:

- splitting up the project and importing it in a series of separate documents (if the worst happens, you have lost some not all)
- sending the project so far to a clean, new TM if it's really big or if I encounter an export issue
- backing up all files (including DVX projects) onto a separate device at least daily.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

A fórum moderátora(i)
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DJV X3 exports only 8 pages out of 140 ((

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »