Bulgaria
Local time: 11:18
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Feb 23, 2012

Dear All,

I own licenses for both Trados Freelance Plus 2011 and DJV X2 Pro, but currently my CAT tool of choice is Trados, because I no longer have to copy and arrange codes (tags) with it.

It has been noted on several occasions that Atril is also working on a solution of its own, but no specific time frame has been mentioned.

I know that many will disagree with me on this, but for me personally having to copy and arrange tags in the translation is a thing
... See more
Dear All,

I own licenses for both Trados Freelance Plus 2011 and DJV X2 Pro, but currently my CAT tool of choice is Trados, because I no longer have to copy and arrange codes (tags) with it.

It has been noted on several occasions that Atril is also working on a solution of its own, but no specific time frame has been mentioned.

I know that many will disagree with me on this, but for me personally having to copy and arrange tags in the translation is a thing of the past, and not having a "tagless" environment in DejaVu x2 is a deal breaker.

I would very much like to make DJV x2 my everyday tool of choice, but I am not willing to make the switch before the feature has been implemented.

Any idea when that can be expected?

Kind Regards,
PTs
Collapse

Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:18
English to Danish
+ ...
Code Zapper Feb 23, 2012

Dear Pavel,

I fear pointing out the obvious, but have you tried the Code Zapper function? I believe it's one of the check boxes in Properties when you import a file into DV. It works like a charm for me, but maybe you're referring to something else?

Best,
Alice

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
codes and rogue codes Feb 23, 2012

Hi Alice,

CodeZapper, integrated into DVX2, removes rogue codes from MS Office documents. But other codes (tags) are necessary and they represent the formatting of the text.

Pavel, although I am used to working with codes, I would like to have some basic formatting features in DVX2 as well.

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
. Feb 23, 2012

Thank you, guys, for sharing your opinion!

I am still looking forward to receiving an answer from someone working at Atril, who might know the specific information we all seem to be looking for.

Kind Regards,
PTs

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
memoQ Feb 24, 2012

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
I know that many will disagree with me on this, but for me personally having to copy and arrange tags in the translation is a thing of the past, and not having a "tagless" environment in DejaVu x2 is a deal breaker.

I know you already have two tools, but just in case you're not aware of it, there's a third one that is very much DV-like (interface, feature set etc.), but is more or less tagless: memoQ translator pro.

I agree with you tags are off putting and should be kept to a minimum in standard Office documents. memoQ does a rather good job, since the most common attributes (bold, italic and underline) are displayed in a WYSIWYG fashion. Unlike with Studio (and, obviously, DV), this also applies to the two-column RTF one can create for proofreading/revising purposes.

VIP9N
VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
Tagless ways Mar 25, 2012

Yesterday I tried the following: I used MemoQ as the "formatter" of a Word file, as MemoQ can create a pure environment for the imported text and export-import bilingual files. Then, I exported the bilingual file (the table) and copied the column with the original into an Excel file. DejaVu imported Excel for translation (the text was absolutely tagless). Well, upon the translation I exported the result to the Excel, copied the... See more
Yesterday I tried the following: I used MemoQ as the "formatter" of a Word file, as MemoQ can create a pure environment for the imported text and export-import bilingual files. Then, I exported the bilingual file (the table) and copied the column with the original into an Excel file. DejaVu imported Excel for translation (the text was absolutely tagless). Well, upon the translation I exported the result to the Excel, copied the translated column into MemoQ bilingual-file, imported it into MemoQ. Some words needed formatting like bold or underline or italic.

Well, the work done, MemoQ made the export and generated the translated Word file. But now, I consider whether all those manipulations are well worth the opportunity to do the job in DejaVu with no tag codes at all...?
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:18
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Another link may help Mar 25, 2012

Hi, maybe this post may help when it comes to unneccessary hidden tags:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/207194-tags_tags_everywhere_powerpoint_2009.html#1808093

In short, you may achieve good results when following the last given hints by Jercy (and me, but it´s nearly the same).

Best
... See more
Hi, maybe this post may help when it comes to unneccessary hidden tags:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/207194-tags_tags_everywhere_powerpoint_2009.html#1808093

In short, you may achieve good results when following the last given hints by Jercy (and me, but it´s nearly the same).

Best regards, Matthias
Collapse

VIP9N
VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
No tags at all, not just "unnecessary" or "hidden" Mar 26, 2012

Thank you Matthias, but it seemed to me, that Pavel had talked of eliminating any and all tags, not just unnecessary or hidden, just all of them. That can be achieved exclusively by translating a pure and clear text with no formatting at all, which is, probably, hard to get, as any textual information has to be separated by sense groups. And that already makes formatting.

Well, the perfect CAT should ensure "eating" of a formatted text in any format and provide the translator wi
... See more
Thank you Matthias, but it seemed to me, that Pavel had talked of eliminating any and all tags, not just unnecessary or hidden, just all of them. That can be achieved exclusively by translating a pure and clear text with no formatting at all, which is, probably, hard to get, as any textual information has to be separated by sense groups. And that already makes formatting.

Well, the perfect CAT should ensure "eating" of a formatted text in any format and provide the translator with a pure and clear text with no codes or anything alike. Currently, MemoQ and Trados are more or less adequate in this task. DejaVu has no WYSIWYG at all. However, I like to experiment feeding it with different kind of file formats, which result in lesser codes. The best codeless format, according to my experiments, is Adobe InDesign IDML. But there I have other problems: I don't have time to reformat text materials into InDesign (to be translated afterwards), the clients sending Word files do not wish to have translation in InDesign or PDF format (they need it in Word), sometimes - in 10% of cases - (I didn't discover why) the IDML files provide plenty of codes, maybe used fonts are to blame, maybe there are some other reasons...

So, until Atril develops the WYSIWYG mode for their tool, DejaVu will remain for me an intersting tool for experiments, but not for work; the growth of that tool I like to observe it, but at present, DejaVu is beaten by MemoQ in almost all areas. That is my IMHO, of course.

[Edited at 2012-03-26 04:54 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Tagless" environment in DJV x2 – when?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »