Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:37
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sep 10, 2021

Why do some topics appear in a different light blue colour - for no apparent reason - for an indeterminate period before reverting to the creamish-yellow colour they were before?

This colour change has got nothing to with topics that are trending, or the topics that have most recently been commented on. So what's it all about?

It's very annoying, and time-wasting, because that changed colour always makes me think "oh, something special must have happened in that topic
... See more
Why do some topics appear in a different light blue colour - for no apparent reason - for an indeterminate period before reverting to the creamish-yellow colour they were before?

This colour change has got nothing to with topics that are trending, or the topics that have most recently been commented on. So what's it all about?

It's very annoying, and time-wasting, because that changed colour always makes me think "oh, something special must have happened in that topic" so I click on it, only to discover that absolutely nothing has happened.

Example:

Screen Shot
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Colours... Sep 10, 2021

they are in different colours because the topics are... off-topic! The inclusive-format topics are in light green. It seems to be a stylistic choice by the site designer.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Puzzling Sep 10, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

they are in different colours because the topics are... off-topic! The inclusive-format topics are in light green. It seems to be a stylistic choice by the site designer.

But they change back and forth from one colour to the other! Who decides when they are on-topic and then off-topic?

If you scroll further down the list you'll see a lot of other topics that I think would also merit the light-blue treatment....

[Edited at 2021-09-10 12:41 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Ah... Sep 10, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

But they change back and forth from one colour to the other! Who decides when they are on-topic and then off-topic?

If you scroll further down the list you'll see a lot of other topics that I think would also merit the light-blue treatment....

[Edited at 2021-09-10 12:41 GMT]

I didn't see the bit where you say they go back to a normal colour. If that's true, it is strange indeed. But I've never seen the colour reverting back to normal...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tom + Giovanni Sep 10, 2021

There are two options under Subscribe to recent posts:

(Everything is shown in the same colour)

or

(Off-topics appear in light blue)

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Off-topic?: Rearranging the deck chairs on the *Titanic* Sep 10, 2021

A thousand pardons!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
A question Sep 10, 2021

How can a topic be "off topic"?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Off the topic of translation… Sep 11, 2021

Tom, you created a whole thread for me and Mervyn to go off topic. What is the mystery?

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange colours

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »