Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jun 14, 2008

G'day everyone

A horrible thing takes place lately on the ProZ.com forums. If I want to reply to a post, and I start typing my reply, and then I want to quickly check something on a previous page, I wouild use my browser's backbutton, but these days, if I do that, then ProZ.com instantly redirects the page to about:blank, thereby causing me to lose what I've written up to that point (because the browser creates a new history path from the forwarding page). I'm using Opera 9.27. I
... See more
G'day everyone

A horrible thing takes place lately on the ProZ.com forums. If I want to reply to a post, and I start typing my reply, and then I want to quickly check something on a previous page, I wouild use my browser's backbutton, but these days, if I do that, then ProZ.com instantly redirects the page to about:blank, thereby causing me to lose what I've written up to that point (because the browser creates a new history path from the forwarding page). I'm using Opera 9.27. I see no good reason why ProZ.com's pages should behave like this.

It's as if ProZ.com realises that the page was reached by a user using his back button, and then some sort of protection kicks in which forwards the page to about:blank. What's more, once this has happened, ProZ.com has a very powerful anti-backbutton function that prevents me from going back into my history past the last page, no matter how fast and furious I press the back-button.

If I disable JavaScript, the odd behaviour doesn't occur, but ProZ.com still does something funny because it still takes a second or two to render the page when I press the backbutton (and normally when you go back in the history with Opera, the display of previous pages are instantaneous since they are loaded straight from the cache).

Is there an explanation for this behaviour?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Jun 14, 2008

This is happening to me too and I use Opera (last version) too.

I am not a computer geek so I cannot offer any explanation, but I feel better seeing that it is not only me

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:57
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Staff is aware of it Jun 14, 2008

Hi Samuel,

http://www.proz.com/topic/107467

And yes, I too upgraded to latest Opera and experience the same as Marie-Céline- "Back" button works, however to make links work, I have to wait until page fully loads and then (often) have to refresh the page.

Uldis

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No probs with Firefox Jun 15, 2008

Don't think is has to do with Proz.com, a bug of Opera perhaps?
Cheers
Heinrich

Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
I've reproduced the problem Jun 16, 2008

Hello Samuel,

Thanks for pointing out this issue. It is indeed a strange one and from the looks of the Opera forums, it's not an isolated one. They've recently released 9.50 to address a number of bug reports and I believe this one was included.

I've installed 9.26, 9.27 and 9.50 side-by-side in separate directories to examine the behaviour and so far, the (numerous) javascript bugs I was able to uncover with the 9.2x browsers seem to be resolved by the 9.50 release.<
... See more
Hello Samuel,

Thanks for pointing out this issue. It is indeed a strange one and from the looks of the Opera forums, it's not an isolated one. They've recently released 9.50 to address a number of bug reports and I believe this one was included.

I've installed 9.26, 9.27 and 9.50 side-by-side in separate directories to examine the behaviour and so far, the (numerous) javascript bugs I was able to uncover with the 9.2x browsers seem to be resolved by the 9.50 release.

Could you try upgrading? I'm hoping you'll have the same results.

Best Regards,
Andrew
Collapse

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:57
French to English
+ ...
I believe I found the culprit Jun 17, 2008

Hi Opera Users,

I think I've tracked down the bit of code that was causing this problem in Opera (in the older versions, 9.25 and 9.27). If you're still experiencing it, try clearing Opera's cache (Preferences => Advanced => History).

Thanks! Sorry for the trouble. Please let me know if the problem continues.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backbutton forwards page to about:blank

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »