Adjust years of experience and at ProZ.com in translators directory
Thread poster: arianek
arianek
arianek
Local time: 06:12
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 1, 2012

It's kind of strange that in the directories of translators and interpreters, the information in the column working experience, Proz.com is always updated, but Working remains always the number of years at the moment of registration. So it is possible to read: Proz.com 7 years and Working 1 year, which in the meantime should be 8 years. It should be easy to adjust this. Thanks.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Experience numbers shown are correct Jun 1, 2012

Dear arianek,

I am afraid that numbers shown in the "Experience" column in the directory of freelance translators and interpreters are correct. For instance, for you, I see the following:

ProZ.com 3 yrs
Working 25 yrs

This means that you have been at ProZ.com for 3 years (and this is correct, since you registered your ProZ.com account on February 18, 2009) and that you reported 25 years of experience in your profile (and you did, http://www.proz.com/settings/history#experience ).

Hope this explains.

Kind regards,

Lucia

Aida Samardzic
Aida Samardzic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbo-Croat
+ ...
I am afraid arianek is right Jun 1, 2012

Dear Lucia,

I've also noticed that I reported 21 years of working experience in 2008/2009 when I registered my Proz.com account or became a member (as I've been working since 1989) and the number in the "Experience" column has not changed. If I am right, it should be 23 years by now?

Kind regards,

Aida

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You must update it yourself Jun 1, 2012

arianek wrote:
So it is possible to read: Proz.com 7 years and Working 1 year, which in the meantime should be 8 years. It should be easy to adjust this.

For some people, "I have been a translator for 10 years" and "I have 10 years' translation experience" and "I started out as a translator 10 years ago" all mean the same thing, but for others it doesn't. So the user must update this himself, once a year, to ensure optimum accuracy.

If someone worked 4 hours a day for 4 years, he might count his "years of experience" as 2 years (since he only worked half a day), but someone else might say "no, these are calendar years" and count it as 4 years.

Or, if someone had worked as a translator for 1 year, then flipped burgers at McDonalds for 2 years, and then worked again as a translator for 1 year, most of us would count this as 2 years of translation exprerience, but unless the web site's calculator allows for gap years, the web site would show this as "4 years of translation experience".

[Edited at 2012-06-01 15:22 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Lucia Jun 1, 2012

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Dear arianek,

I am afraid that numbers shown in the "Experience" column in the directory of freelance translators and interpreters are correct. For instance, for you, I see the following:

ProZ.com 3 yrs
Working 25 yrs

This means that you have been at ProZ.com for 3 years (and this is correct, since you registered your ProZ.com account on February 18, 2009) and that you reported 25 years of experience in your profile (and you did, http://www.proz.com/settings/history#experience ).

Hope this explains.

Kind regards,

Lucia

I think perhaps Arianek has probably just updated it, having noticed the error. I know mine hasn't been updated since I first created my profile but I don't actually see the need to do so, in that there's not necessarily any advantage in stating 16 rather than 14 years. (just checked! and I see that I last changed something on 1 April, makes me look a right joker)))) )

arianek
arianek
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
okay, we have to change the number Jun 1, 2012

To Lucia: yes, I've understood this, but I don't find it logical. Try to see it from the point of view of a potential client who is searching for a translator with a minimum of 5 years of experience. He won't consider this: oh, I see, 1 year of working experience, that means that I have to sum this with 7 years of registration at proz. com, that means a total of 8 years...okay, that fits my request...
To Samuel: okay, you've made it clear that we have to adjust the number of years, but I t
... See more
To Lucia: yes, I've understood this, but I don't find it logical. Try to see it from the point of view of a potential client who is searching for a translator with a minimum of 5 years of experience. He won't consider this: oh, I see, 1 year of working experience, that means that I have to sum this with 7 years of registration at proz. com, that means a total of 8 years...okay, that fits my request...
To Samuel: okay, you've made it clear that we have to adjust the number of years, but I thought it would be easier to let proz.com calculate automatically the number of years of working experience (however, you're right, there are some exceptions, like hamburger flippers at McDonalds etc.)
To Texte Style: I haven't changed the number of years: at this date it should have been 28 years. You're right, there isn't any advantage, 28 instead of 25, (I'd prefer 25 years, but for other reasons..), but I think this is different for someone who sees 1 year Working and 7 years Proz.com behind his name..
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Information for "Experience" will be updated Jun 4, 2012

Dear arianek,

As Samuel states, the number of years of experience in your profile is not updated automatically, but you are given the option to update it yourself regularly --as any other profile information. This is so because, also as Samuel says, depending on the time you devote to translation within a year, 12 months may not be a year more of experience.

Now, the difference between "ProZ.com" and "Working" experience should be made clear to outsourcers searching the
... See more
Dear arianek,

As Samuel states, the number of years of experience in your profile is not updated automatically, but you are given the option to update it yourself regularly --as any other profile information. This is so because, also as Samuel says, depending on the time you devote to translation within a year, 12 months may not be a year more of experience.

Now, the difference between "ProZ.com" and "Working" experience should be made clear to outsourcers searching the directory through the informational icon next to "Experience". I will see to update this information accordingly then.

Lucia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adjust years of experience and at ProZ.com in translators directory

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »