Simone Linke
Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:28
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 6, 2011

I think there's a problem with how rates are displayed (and entered). I've just noticed it again when someone in another thread asked about rates and what to enter.

If you go to the rates section of your profile, you are asked to enter a minimum rate and a target rate. The explanation for the target rate says that this is the rate for projects without any additional costs in a field you're familiar with. In other words, it's an average rate. (New clients or direct clients almost alw
... See more
I think there's a problem with how rates are displayed (and entered). I've just noticed it again when someone in another thread asked about rates and what to enter.

If you go to the rates section of your profile, you are asked to enter a minimum rate and a target rate. The explanation for the target rate says that this is the rate for projects without any additional costs in a field you're familiar with. In other words, it's an average rate. (New clients or direct clients almost always require additional costs in the form of getting familiar with the client, doing research, hiring a second proof-reader, etc.)

However, when potential clients open your profile, they are presented with rates in the format XX - YY, i.e. it appears as if the "target" rate (YY) was your maximum rate. This leads to some surprises when a (direct) client expects a certain maximum price but then gets a much higher price.

So, could we either change the description ("target" becomes "maximum") or the way the rates are displayed?

Technically, what you'd have to do right now is either enter a very broad range (to account for agencies and direct clients) - but without any further information this makes it rather useless for potential clients. Or you don't enter any rates at all (which has its pros and cons as well).

Any thoughts?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improve the rates information

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »