Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:24
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 30, 2005

hei allesammen,

because my written Norwegian does not feel comfortable enough yet, i'll just stick to English.

I'm a freelance translator for Dutch, Hungarian and English. I moved to Norway a short while ago and i've decided to stay. I'm now wondering what the best way is to establish myself as a freelancer. I know there's the possibility to start an enkeltpersonsforetak. It sounds simple, although i haven't been able to find out if and how i will get a VAT number by re
... See more
hei allesammen,

because my written Norwegian does not feel comfortable enough yet, i'll just stick to English.

I'm a freelance translator for Dutch, Hungarian and English. I moved to Norway a short while ago and i've decided to stay. I'm now wondering what the best way is to establish myself as a freelancer. I know there's the possibility to start an enkeltpersonsforetak. It sounds simple, although i haven't been able to find out if and how i will get a VAT number by registering.

I wonder if you guys could give me some tips - what's the most efficient way to start, in your experience? Anything pitfalls i should be aware of? It's important that i have a VAT nr, as i have clients whom i otherwise can't work with.

tusen takk,
Zsanett
Collapse

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ps Apr 30, 2005

Bit dumb, i just noticed a similar question that was posted on this forum earlier this year. The difference is that i want to stay permanently and i have no VAT nr. of my own yet, but i need one. And the main question applies: what's the best way to start? Thanks.

Mari Noller
Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:24
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Brreg.no May 15, 2005

is the place to start looking. But you've probably already figured this out.
Basically, you register there for a enkeltpersonsforetak and you can also fill out a green form (if I remember correctly) for VAT.
I haven't done this myself as I hardly ever have Norwegian customers.

But www.brreg.no and www.bedin.no are
... See more
is the place to start looking. But you've probably already figured this out.
Basically, you register there for a enkeltpersonsforetak and you can also fill out a green form (if I remember correctly) for VAT.
I haven't done this myself as I hardly ever have Norwegian customers.

But www.brreg.no and www.bedin.no are great sites for companies.
Collapse

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
VAT important May 16, 2005

You shouldn't let go of the VAT just because you don't have many Norwegian clients. The main point is that if you are in the MVA-registeret you are entitled to deduct all VAT even if you don't invoice any VAT. Let's say you buy a large PC that costs you NOK 15,000. The VAT alone here is 3,000 - which you'll be refunded if you're in the MVA-registeret, if not, that money is lost.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

freelancing in Norway

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »